Home General Discussion

B&M Walk-In Humidity

Hey all, newbie poster here, and somewhat newbie cigar smoker (1.5 years, got a long road ahead of me though!)

I've been using a cigar jar to store my stogies with a jar of xikar crystals to keep it at 70% RH. I threw a calibrated hygrometer in there, and it's registering exactly 70; however, some of my cigars seem dried out comparative to when I buy them at the local B&M.

This brings me to wonder--do B&M shops tend to keep the RH of their walk-ins a bit higher to compensate for customers coming and going? Am I the only one who notices this? I'm a little concerned about my sticks being dry, but I can't really do much considering it's at a steady 70%...

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of stores do keep their walk-in humidor a little high. It may be to compensate for the door being opened and closed all day. If you notice that the cigars you buy are spongy (and not because of a loose roll) then they might be a little high.

With your humidor at 70%, they should still seem a little soft. If you are sure that your hygrometer is correct, I would not worry. I prefer to keep them in the mid 60's% and there is no damage in even letting them stay that dry.

Have you noticed a fast, hot burn? Or no flavor? That'd be a sign of really dry sticks. Of course, with an overhumidified stick you may also get a hot flavorless smoke too, but because the moisture is building up and the cigar is having trouble burning.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to assume you take the cello off...for some reason when you take the cello off the cigars seem to tighten and dry out quicker no matter what humidity you have.
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ol_smokey1:
    I've been using a cigar jar to store my stogies with a jar of xikar crystals to keep it at 70% RH. I threw a calibrated hygrometer in there, and it's registering exactly 70; however, some of my cigars seem dried out comparative to when I buy them at the local B&M. This brings me to wonder--do B&M shops tend to keep the RH of their walk-ins a bit higher to compensate for customers coming and going? Am I the only one who notices this? I'm a little concerned about my sticks being dry, but I can't really do much considering it's at a steady 70%...
    some do keep it higher. some keep it too high in my opinion

...but if you are at 70% you should be good. that, in my opinion is the high end of what a humidor should be. i keep mine at 68%.

do not worry. relax. have a cigar.
  • ol_smokey1ol_smokey1 Posts: 26
    Yeah, I took note--I'd say about half of my cigars still have some spring (CAO and H. Upmann at the moment), but the other half (Arturo Fuente and La Aurora) seemed a bit dry. I had a La Aurora the other night, and it did seem to burn a little fast/hotter than usual, but it wasn't cracking or splitting anywhere, so I can't complain too much. Then again, it seems that most of the Fuentes are the ones that seem dry...I split a box with a friend, so maybe that has something to do with it...

And I am guilty about taking the cello wrapper off...although I just got a little 5 pack sampler of the Xikar HC series and am experimenting with leaving them on. Seeing them in all their naked glory is satisfying though!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ol_smokey1:
    Yeah, I took note--I'd say about half of my cigars still have some spring (CAO and H. Upmann at the moment), but the other half (Arturo Fuente and La Aurora) seemed a bit dry. I had a La Aurora the other night, and it did seem to burn a little fast/hotter than usual, but it wasn't cracking or splitting anywhere, so I can't complain too much. Then again, it seems that most of the Fuentes are the ones that seem dry...I split a box with a friend, so maybe that has something to do with it... And I am guilty about taking the cello wrapper off...although I just got a little 5 pack sampler of the Xikar HC series and am experimenting with leaving them on. Seeing them in all their naked glory is satisfying though!
    Leaving the cello on or off is basically a personal choice. Cello offers protection to the wrappers if you like to rummage thru your sticks like I do. But if your hygrometer is accurate you are fine. I'm assuming you did a salt test on it and calibrated it if it was needed.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    ol_smokey1:
    Yeah, I took note--I'd say about half of my cigars still have some spring (CAO and H. Upmann at the moment), but the other half (Arturo Fuente and La Aurora) seemed a bit dry. I had a La Aurora the other night, and it did seem to burn a little fast/hotter than usual, but it wasn't cracking or splitting anywhere, so I can't complain too much. Then again, it seems that most of the Fuentes are the ones that seem dry...I split a box with a friend, so maybe that has something to do with it... And I am guilty about taking the cello wrapper off...although I just got a little 5 pack sampler of the Xikar HC series and am experimenting with leaving them on. Seeing them in all their naked glory is satisfying though!
    for some reason I find taking the cello off does something to them...the seem to shrink and get harder. But I do have to say I like seeing my cigars in the cellos...it makes it look like your in a store every time you open up your humi. But as said it seems your having trouble with the connys and Cameroons which are fragile. I'd stay away from them till the heat and humidity drop a little and you should have no problems
    Money can't buy taste