Home Non Cigar Related
Options

"Boys" Camping dinner advice, suggestions needed please :)

So next Wednesday, my wife is going out of town until the following Monday for a friends wedding
My 3 boys and I decided to go Camping/fishing, leaving Thursday morning sometime & come home Monday afternoon, (as long as 1 of the boys can talk his wife into letting him free for an extended weekend, if not will only be 3 of us)
So 4 nights, 4 guys, and not a 1 of us wants to really cook :P, just want to camp/fish/drink beer and smoke cigars >:D

Remove the fish as a meal as none of us are very experienced fishermen, and if we catch some GREAT, but otherwise cant count on it (if we do catch some it'll go in the fire pit in foil with lemon, butter & garlic salt-easy & tasty)

Breakfast will be coffee/tea and sweet-rolls/honey buns (or something like those from a wrapper)
lunch will be bologna/ham sandwiches with chips, and some type of (store bought potato/macaroni) salad

Now for dinner the only thing we can think of that's really easy for 4 guys that (Don't cook nor want to learn how) is basic hot dogs or hamburgers (meat and bun with condiments only), and some type of beans (chilli in a can/pork & beans in a can/baked beans in a can lol)

Anyone have advice on something other then those that is easy & quick for camping dinners ?

Thanks for any/all advice

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allrecipes.com has a decent "camping dishes" section....

Might be more than you want to look through, but at least check out the "staff picks".
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/on-the-go/camping/

Veggies & meat skewers are always good and easy prep + clean up ...

Steaks, Chicken (whole or pieces), Pork (loin or chops).

Foil wrapped potatoes on the grill/fire pit...
    (Pre-made) pasta salad ...
    Corn on the cob ...
    Squash ...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Will check out that site now, Thanks
    Also that potato in foil in the fire pit idea is Brilliant !! do fish and corn like that but never thought about potatoes
    Don't really want to do steak and chicken because we eat way more of that then most people should weekly and wanted "camping" style food for the trip and not what we normally eat, and ever since my gallbladder was remover a few years ago I cant do much pork
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think you should tell the women you're going campus where there's no cell service and then hop a cheap flight to Vegas. It's only hot this time of year if you go outdoors.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Yeah, I think you should tell the women you're going campus where there's no cell service and then hop a cheap flight to Vegas. It's only hot this time of year if you go outdoors.
    So funny you said that, we talked at first about doing a boys Vegas weekend, driving there to add a road trip into it - about 7 hour trip from my house) at first :P
    Then decided to do a camping trip now that I am finally fairly able to get around good enough to camp & fish again and get into & out of the canoe again :)
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Peppers, onions, maters, shrooms, hunks of meat on a skewer or marinate some shrimp in a lemon butter and cook on skewers, any kebob type variation are pretty easy to cook. Any roast/stew/chili you could cook in foil/dutchoven type slow cooker would be simple fire & forget type cooking. There are hundreds of easy camp cooking recipes on numerous websites. Pinterest has some great camping recipes & ideas
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Go to a camping store and get a bunch of freeze dried camping food. Mountain house freeze dried chili is the shizz!

Or go to fresh and easy or whole foods and get a bunch of premade stuff..... four guys and not a single one of you wants to cook steak or ham or even burgers..... on a camping trip? Suppose you could take along someone who actually has a man card...

I kid I kid :)
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Go to a camping store and get a bunch of freeze dried camping food. Mountain house freeze dried chili is the shizz!

Or go to fresh and easy or whole foods and get a bunch of premade stuff..... four guys and not a single one of you wants to cook steak or ham or even burgers..... on a camping trip? Suppose you could take along someone who actually has a man card...

I kid I kid :)
    PFFT man card to me means tear open wrapper and eat or open with can opener and heat (in the can) then eat with fingers and drink the beer :P
    anything involving more is why I have a wife :P

I kid also, when going with the wife I help with it all :)
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    We camp a lot. Go to a store that sells ready to eat meals (freeze dried) ..boil 2 cups water and our good to go. I love them and so do my kids
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was probably one of my favorite and easiest dinners from Boy Scouts. Just take hamburger make into a patty, add what ever veggies (potatoes, onions,peppers). Sprinkle with favorite seasoning and wrap up in aluminum and throw on hot coals. Flip it after a while and there you have an easy delicious meal.
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    We camp a lot. Go to a store that sells ready to eat meals (freeze dried) ..boil 2 cups water and our good to go. I love them and so do my kids

Cant say I've had any of those, might have to get a few of those just for the sake of wanting to try it out

bert873:
    This was probably one of my favorite and easiest dinners from Boy Scouts. Just take hamburger make into a patty, add what ever veggies (potatoes, onions,peppers). Sprinkle with favorite seasoning and wrap up in aluminum and throw on hot coals. Flip it after a while and there you have an easy delicious meal.

Another Great idea, love the idea of anything that involves throwing it into the fire pit to cook while drinking beer :)

Thanks for the info guys
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to cook, don't cook. I camp all the time and never cook. I just drop by the dollar store and pick up smoked oysters, crackers, jerky, corn nuts, chicharrones, and so forth. There's even self-heating cans of coffee at the dollar store. Mocha latte. Not too bad, either. Don't have to cook if you don't want to. Saves on toting a whole crapload of pots and pans, too. If you are toting a cooler full of beer, throw some salamis and cheeses in too. Gimme a handful of crackers, a bit of cheese, and a hunk off a hard salami, I am good to go. Throw in an apple to clean the palate and light up a cigar.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    If you don't want to cook, don't cook. I camp all the time and never cook. I just drop by the dollar store and pick up smoked oysters, crackers, jerky, corn nuts, chicharrones, and so forth. There's even self-heating cans of coffee at the dollar store. Mocha latte. Not too bad, either. Don't have to cook if you don't want to. Saves on toting a whole crapload of pots and pans, too. If you are toting a cooler full of beer, throw some salamis and cheeses in too. Gimme a handful of crackers, a bit of cheese, and a hunk off a hard salami, I am good to go. Throw in an apple to clean the palate and light up a cigar.

Damn man, that is GREAT advice I would not have thought of, eat sardines/crackers/dry salami and cheese all the time snacking around the house, now about the self heating cans of coffee NICE, I will have to make a trip to the dollar store for sure to check that out, usually buy those Folgers coffee bags, just need to use 2 to make em strong enough, or throw a few handful's of grounds in the perk pot on the fire

Really do appreciate all the advice guys, have never went camping without my wife-she is even a little upset she's going to a wedding and not with us lol (dad didn't believe in doing anything that didn't make money - so didn't camp till I was 22 and married lol) and my wife has to pack half the truck with food items, the boys and I just want a simple beer drinking cigar smoking canoe fishing weekend, and the advice so far it spot on THANKS!!
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    bert873:

This is what I was going to suggest. We called them hobo meals. Very good and very easy.
  • Options
    BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    My wife makes those almost every time we go camping. She calls them hobo dinners. A quick favorite of mine is filling an aluminum tray with hotdogs, onions and beer. Then set it on/over the coals and let boil for a bit.
  • Options
    Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    When i was in boy scouts (eagle scout now) we had everything under the sun for dinner. Hamburgers, corn and potato were great. steak on the other hand would be the best way to end a weekend with a group of guys.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I think the real answer here is to hire a stripper to come cook for you guys for the weekend.....that would cost what.....400-500? i think it would be worth it.