Home General Discussion

is there a 'point' to the torpedo?

My question for today…
I've never smoked a torpedo. I think they look **way cool, tho.

So, my question is, does a torpedo from within a given line have any unique characteristics other than shape? In other words, I usually go for the Robusto, it's just perfect for my needs/taste. But within a given line is a Torpedo going to smoke, taste, etc. about the same as his Robusto brother, or is there some… er… unique 'point' to the torpedo?

Thanks!

T.

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    tmanwell:
    My question for today… I've never smoked a torpedo. I think they look **way cool, tho. So, my question is, does a torpedo from within a given line have any unique characteristics other than shape? In other words, I usually go for the Robusto, it's just perfect for my needs/taste. But within a given line is a Torpedo going to smoke, taste, etc. about the same as his Robusto brother, or is there some… er… unique 'point' to the torpedo? Thanks! T.
    I love torpedos.....i love the fact that the smoke is concentrated. To me they are easier to cut and i love to chew on the end of a cigar and they hold up well.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Not too much of a difference in terms of performance, in my opinion. The blend is usually the same unless the ring gauge is different. That being said, I do still love belicosos and torpedoes. Easier to cut, you can choose how shallow or deep you want to cut, giving you a somewhat customizable draw and cut. Also, it takes more skill for the roller to make a torpedo than a regular parejo.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The draw is a little different especially with a box pressed.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box Pressed Rules. I don't know why, but I do not like the pointy ones. I will smoke them, however, I won't buy them unless they are part of a package deal.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    In some cases I feel the torpedoes taste better...take for example the oliva v. I find the torpedo,belicoso and lancero to be the best in that line. But a torpedo helps you get a bigger ring gauge in your mouth
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    ...giving you a somewhat customizable draw and cut.
    this exactly. if you want an easy smoke with "softer" smoke give it a larger cut. if you want a more intense acute smoke cut it smaller.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One word of caution on all the pointy tipped cigars. Cut just a little off to start with. Then if the draw is too restricted you can cut off a little more. Many times I have wished I'd cut off just a little less because the draw that I ended up with felt like I was suckin air through a drinking straw.