Home General Discussion

branching out, gradually more flavorful...

Hi guys...
So, after posting several times about how I like the real mild stuff like Oliva Connecticut reserve, and Ashton Classic...

I'm starting to wonder what would be some good choices in a "next step" to bump it up a notch? I have had the Arturo Fuente Hemingway ...which is still relatively mild but has more oomph to it. What else are "must tries" in the premium cigar world ??

Thanks, as always, for the suggestions!

TM

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Good medium body smokes are pretty easy to find. Some of my favs -

Padron 1964 or 1926 med-full, but very smooth
    Diamond Crown Maduro
    La Duena
    Herrera Esteli
    Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion
    San Lotano Oval
    Avo XO
    Oliva Serie O
    La Palina Mr. Sam
  • tmanwelltmanwell Posts: 18
    blutattoo:
    Good medium body smokes are pretty easy to find. Some of my favs -

Padron 1964 or 1926 med-full, but very smooth

Diamond Crown Maduro

La Duena

Herrera Esteli

Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion

San Lotano Oval

Avo XO

Oliva Serie O

La Palina Mr. Sam

Ok, I tried the Herrera Esteli.
    WOW!!
    I'm blown away. It was *definitely more flavorful than anything I've had to date, ...certainly more 'medium'...yet SUPER SMOOTH!! I would go back to this one again & again.

Thank man!!

T
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might like Sam Leccia Black, to me it's mild but with great flavor, a good breakfast.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Herrera Esteli. Try the Crowned Heads Headley Grange or the La Palina (non-maduro)
  • heels0303heels0303 Posts: 53
    This list could get long, but I'll try to keep you in the medium/low end of full strength category:

- Crowned Heads Four Kicks (ok, anything by Crowned Heads)
    - Tatuaje Black Label CG
    - La Riqueza #2
    - Anything Padron, but especially the Padron 64 Superior Maduro and Padron 40 Year   
       Maduro
    - My Father La Antiguedad
    - L'Atelier Selection Speciale
    - Arturo Fuente Anejo
    - Herrera Esteli Lonsdale (lancero if you can find it)
    - 1502 Ruby Toro
    - La Aurora Cien Anos Churchill
    - Davidoff Nica Robusto
    - Avo Heritage or TAA 2nd Movement

That should get you started
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For a nice medium bodied cigar I really enjoy the fuente rosado magnum r44's they are always consistent and a good smoke for the money
    Money can't buy taste
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

wrong thread
  • tmanwelltmanwell Posts: 18
    Just a few more thoughts coming to mind from my experience with the Herrera Esteli Piramide...

1. It has really made me see the distinction between SMOOTH vs MILD. Up to this point I had thought of those two things as synonymous. Now, I see MILD (or MED, or FULL) in terms of the amount of flavor.... and something like SMOOTH in terms of the effect.

2. The Herrera Esteli had zero negatives in terms of effect that I could discern. There was absolutely no unwanted after taste at any stage of the smoke; there was nothing bitter at any stage; there was simply tons of what I've read others describe as 'creamy white smoke' and great taste.

3. The only 'negative' thing that I can think to say is that from what I read this isn't one of those smokes that *every cigar bar/lounge stocks.... and given that I'm a hobby only smoker, ... I can see having to find "the next best thing" if I want to make my purchases on the spot at the lounge I'm visiting.
    However, I've got a great benchmark in the Herrera Esteli!

T.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    A few things that should be considered is if you retro hale. I can see a lot of cigars being harsh if you do but can't seem to figure out how harsh something could be if you don't. Also can't understand how people don't retrohale
    Money can't buy taste
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    If you're looking for smooth get anything Avo, they're fantastic. If you want something mild with more flavor find the old Camacho conny.