Home General Discussion
Options

ATTN anyone doing cigar band arts

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Hey guys! So here is what I want to do but need info on best way to do it so it stays and is quality work. I want to cover the top of a herfador with cigar bands. Not the whole thing, just the top center part where it is flat. I would cut out the spot where the brand logo is. Just cause i think it would be easier than covering it. What glue do I use to secure the bands to the top and what should I use to "clear coat" it so it's not gonna fall apart?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Hey guys! So here is what I want to do but need info on best way to do it so it stays and is quality work. I want to cover the top of a herfador with cigar bands. Not the whole thing, just the top center part where it is flat. I would cut out the spot where the brand logo is. Just cause i think it would be easier than covering it. What glue do I use to secure the bands to the top and what should I use to "clear coat" it so it's not gonna fall apart?
    If you don't get any better responses, the way I make my cigar band bottle openers is to glue the bands down with super glue, and then spread 2 layers (separately) of the super glue over them. It dries a bit rubbery but if you get the clear dry kind you can see the bands really well and it provides a nice safe clear coat. I just put some down on the bands and use a plastic paint scraper to smooth it out.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    DOUBLE POST OMG RUNNNNN!!!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've asked our resident stogiestand expert this same question before....

IIRC he said the glue doesn't really matter (i personally use whatever's nearby - anything from elmer's to super glue --- regardless of type, remember that a small amount goes a long way)

and for a clear top coat, yes that's probably a good idea.

in your situation, i'd imagine just about any type of clear coat would be fine. (brush or roll on, spray paint type, etc)
    apply a couple thin layers for best results.
    if you're still unsure go to your local paint store (or even big box store if nothing else), tell them what you're looking for and they'll set you up with the "best" clear coat to fit your needs.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    No_one21:
    DOUBLE POST OMG RUNNNNN!!!

I just thought you were looking for attention. ;)
  • Options
    I was thinking just a standard Elmer's glue so it doesn't dry so quickly while in laying the bands down and organized. Then covering with a decoupage sealer. I have to organize them on a sheet first to get the layout down. Maybe glue them into a sheet of paper first then glue and size the sheet onto the herfador?
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standard Elmers' glue is good but I'd recommend the glue stick. The bottle liquid soaks the band making it harder to handle. Also, denpending on the quality of the band, it will seep though ruining the band itself.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Good to know! Glue stick it is! :)
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I glue them into a sheet of paper first then glue and size the sheet onto the herfador?
    smart. or glue them down with some overhang, then cut the sheet to size.
    would probably be easier than trying to trim each individual band before placing it.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I used stick glue on the ashtray i covered with bands. seems to still be doing good
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Think I am going to bomb someone with mine, soon, hehe
  • Options
    The3Stogies:

lol someone is up to no good.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    The3Stogies:

yes.yes he was.... photo IMG_20140724_19231_edit_1406244227725_zpszghd7xbs.jpg
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    LiquidChaos66:
    The3Stogies:

yes.yes he was....

Well, now you know what I do with my bands, I make bombs. Should have seen me trying to cram them into that tin, my wife thought it was hilarious and almost blew myself up too.
  • Options
    Lmao! That's great! Sent those to a worthy victim too!