Home General Discussion
Options

For all you lancero lovers out there....

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
This year at IPCPR, I noticed a lancero trend. Seriously, seemed like every booth we went to was working on a lancero, talking about releasing one, or had one for new release from petite to 8in. The long and skinny is making a comeback... Also, seemed like tons of short smokes as well. Very excited honestly.

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What DZR said
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Somewhat off topic, but at IPCPR, did you get to sample AJ's New World and Cubanacana's HR? I think those two are the most anticipated blends for me. Huge AJ fan and I'm curious about Hiroshi Robaina's (Alejandro Robaina's grandson for the BOTLs that don't know) first non-ISOM blend.
  • Options
    I did not get the AJ. I did an interview with him on that blend though. However, afterward I did not ask. I do not ask for samples unless someone in the biz sends me over on a personal recommendation (tell so and so I sent you) kind of thing. If people want to give us samples, I take them. If not, no big deal, I am there for content and the cigars are a bonus. I did get a travel box of the HR, and two samples as well as an interview. Hirochi was a good dude, and I plan on playing a little guitar for him when I visit the farm. He did not do the blending, Omar Gonzalez from Cubanacan did and sent them to him in Cuba. Omar is from Cuba, and knows Hirochi's family real well. The samples I got are fresh rolled, so I will not smoke them until Nov when they launch and review them then.

On an unrelated side note. AJ told me he never apprenticed under Don Alejandro. It is well known in the community that he was Don Alejandro's protege, and that is wrong. He fervently denied that. He told me his family knew the Robainas and that they were friends, but he did not spend time learning from him at all. The New World was made for his dad, whom he credited with learning tobacco from, not Robaina. You will see in my interview he gets a little perturbed when I brought that up, as I assumed it was common knowledge. Afterwards, his interpreter and my friend whom works for him cleared it up for me with him and I apologized to him. Aj is cool as hell, and is not always game for interviews, not one for the limelight or attention, just wants to be at the farm. I got to sit down with him and an interpreter because of a relationship with a mutual friend. Very honored as he does not do that normally.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    After following all the news out of IPCPR, I kinda got the impression that many lanceros were being made. Good to hear specifically from someone there! It's funny how nationally they don't sell real well, but the manufacturers refuse to give up on them. Appreciate them looking out for us diehards!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Well Tony, i think it is a trend of the consumer being more educated. Really the boutique boom is in full force, and many are sinking or swimming. Stores are starting to embrace the boutiques now and take up enough shelf space that the big guns are reinventing themselves, like Camacho for example. That is a sign of the consumer education increasing, and the blogging world increased, so more smokers that are researching are looking for the lancero. All of these companies would not be making them if demand did not exist. Last year, everyone talked about how hard it was to sell a lancero. This year, everyone is making them because the demand is there. Good times for us! The big RG's are not trending as well, not like last year. However, you are seeing standardized sizes of larger rings like 6x60 or 6x56 in line portfolios.
  • Options
    heels0303heels0303 Posts: 53
    I love the lancero size...probably my favorite.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been checking out your ipcpr vid interviews. I am definitely looking forward to trying some more of the boutique brands. Hadn't heard of warped before, but looks like something I'd be into. Hooray for lanceros!
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good to hear the RG's are going to a smaller size. Thanks for the heads up Dustin.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    This makes me very happy.
  • Options
    I saw today that Fuente is releasing a new Anejo in a 44 rg (sweet), and there are a ton of corona and lancero sizes hitting the market. Then I see that Avo just released a 6 x 60? I thought we were over that phase, or are they just late to the party.
  • Options
    Man I think Im getting my ish mixed up. No.888 right? New pointed tip?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried a few lanceros. I have not liked them yet. It's been a while but as I recall there was not enough airflow and smoke for me. And a few were rolled too tight as well. I will try again sometime. I still have a few staring at me from my humidor. But if you asked me to select an RG at which ALL cigars would be made. I'd pick 50. Seems like 50 is my favorite RG.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:

Don't think this is released yet. This is a new Anejo vitola
    Anejo 44
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Then I see that Avo just released a 6 x 60? I thought we were over that phase, or are they just late to the party.
    lol! I noticed that too... a little late. But some companies are still pumping out the massive cigars. Hell, most cuban regional eds are fat this year.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    danielzreyes:

Anejo 44

now I am confused. An article on half wheel about a pre-release 888 just got posted. New or old?
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    rsherman24:
    danielzreyes:

Anejo 44

now I am confused. An article on half wheel about a pre-release 888 just got posted. New or old?
    LOL see. heels0303 just posted that he got 2/3 of a box. He's my friend
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I've tried a few lanceros. I have not liked them yet. It's been a while but as I recall there was not enough airflow and smoke for me. And a few were rolled too tight as well. I will try again sometime. I still have a few staring at me from my humidor. But if you asked me to select an RG at which ALL cigars would be made. I'd pick 50. Seems like 50 is my favorite RG.
    I'm with Mr.Luken here, I have not had a lancero that smoked as well as some juicy robustos I've had. And conversely, I can't recall a poor smoking box - pressed stick I have had recently. I like the look and idea of a lancero, especially the Olive Serie V and it's concentrated flavor in that vitola. Last one I had was unsmokeable. Any recommendations on one that has a good track record of acceptable draw?

Almost bought a five pack of the RyJ reserva real maduro lancero....good idea?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico