Home Ratings & Reviews

#77 The Anejo Shark

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So after I had a Anejo earlier this week I wanted to dive into another, this time the awe inspiring SHARK. This thing is a thing of beauty. It's got a torpedo cap but a box press body which is seamlessly formed from the round top. Awesome construction. Upon the first sniffs of the cigar (pre-light) I wasn't too fond of the smell. After lighting it, and the first thee puffs, I was digging it very much. The flavour was mild and creamy, with some hints of bread, coffee, earth, wood, and sweetness. I got a lot of the taste through the nose, so keep that in mind. The cigar had a tight ash all the way to the half way point, but I wanted to make sure it didn't fall on my carpet so I tapped it off. For some reason one side sort of went out so I re-touched it and then things started to taste better (lol). The burn at this point started to get less than even but the cigar still had lots of flavor. Now I had to slow my puffs as the thing was getting really hot and took a bit to cool. I noticed some harshness when I didn't do this. The cigar had some ups and down with the flavors, but all in all it stayed consistent with what was first tasted. I didn't get much if any pepper and the cigar stayed pretty mild. The #46 was stronger than the shark so those of you who aren't big into the stronger cigars might want to take note of that. The aroma wasn't bad, but didn't leave a sweet fresh smell, more of a tobacco. However the flavor was not very strong on tobacco, more in the league of wood, some nut, coffee, maybe cocoa, perhaps some bread like flavor, and earthi-ness. I nubbed it, and that's saying something for me. I usually leave about 1-2 inches. I like strong sticks, that's no secret but this guy was also fantastic for a medium smoke. I wouldn't say full bodied as it never reached that point. It did however get a little more full past the 1/2 way point. I've had this puppy almost a year and I can say that I really would like to buy a box. I don't think I've seen a more complex (other than say the padilla habano burberry/artisan) construction with flawlessness. The cigar seamlessly took two shapes (torp and a square box press) and made magic. Enjoy if you can find 'em!

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Nice Review. I haven't been able to find this size around here. Would you say the Anejos are worth aging in general? Better after a year or two or better smoked fresher? I've only had one, so I don't have too much experience with them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    They are anejos so I would say yes. I can't remember anything bad about the last one I had when I first got them.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    They are a he-llava smoke fresh or aged in my opinion ...but better aged. The 77 and 55 are awsome as is the 48 , and remember it will soon be time for their once a year release before Christmas ...I think they come out late November ...Thats why I've reduced buying for the last month ; starting to save up for the hording season !!!
    Hey Glen was that one of the Sharks you got from me last year ?
    gmill880:
    They are a he-llava smoke fresh or aged in my opinion ...but better aged. The 77 and 55 are awsome as is the 48 , and remember it will soon be time for their once a year release before Christmas ...I think they come out late November ...Thats why I've reduced buying for the last month ; starting to save up for the hording season !!!
    Possibly. Your one of the main shark donators I have had. I think I bought one or two. Hey if you find them by the box, lmk via pm if you would. I found one place that has them/or will have them for like 450ish. I think that's a tad high. I too have tried to set some funds aside for the xmas releases. Hoping to get some GOF boxes, anejos and opus's.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Will do Pheebs
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've got to smoke one of these pretty soon. Gene you sent me one ages ago and there it sits in the same place I put it after unpacking. I think it has been sitting long enough, I'm going to have to charge rent payable in ashes. :)
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've had the Shark but I have to say that I like the Torpedo much better. I think I do have 1 Shark left so maybe some age will do it good. I remember buying the Anejos years and years ago before I knew what they were and I think they were only about $12 each. I did have a friend who worked at the tobacco shop in the mall though so she hooked me up a lot. I used to get Hemingways for $6 - $7 each back then. Man, I miss that place!
    I haven't had that one wheelie, though I have it on my want list. Do you remember what you liked about it?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I haven't had one in over a year but something about the taste. Sorry dude, I can't remember. :-( Old age is catching up to me! I did have a 50 the other day and it was nothing like the Torpedo or the Shark. I have two 49s to try but haven't gotten there yet. There is so much I want to buy and no money or place to for them. I actually have been considering getting a Opus22 box!!!
  • I offered up my thanks to the cigar gods with this one as a burnt offering. The gods(and I) were very pleased with it. First of all the construction was impeccable(posted a pic on wactha smoking), the burn line never wavered and the ash fell half a second after i snapped the pic. It didnt have the full flavored, fullbody, spicy peppery profile I usually go for, but I could describe it as nothing less the phenomal.
    The first half inch I was greeted with nice spice and pepper which left all parts of my mouth and nose tingling. This quickly faded into what i would call a "wonderful tasty tobaco taste", never really got any spice or pepper taste after the first inch. Every few puffs or so i would get a mild spicy sensation but not any taste, The taste and flavors I picked up on the most are the above mentioned tabaco and a "distinctly dominican flavor" which popped in and out, along with some underlying light cinnamon and cocoa powder which would leave a few tingles or a warming sensation here and there. The relaxation and enjoyment factor for this masterpiece go way past eleven...
    Cool review. Glad you enjoyed it. Anejo's are great cigars in my book. I like them a tad bit more than opus's. Just are a pain to find at a good price.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    The owner of the nicer B&M in town is a customer of mine, he said they just got their order in on Wednesday so I'm heading there tonight to pick up a couple. I'm hoping they have the Shark as the last one I had was of a different size than the 77. These don't need the same aging as the OpusX does because the wrapper is different. I will smoke one tonight. I can't wait. thanks for the great review
    If they have a 55 torp I would pick one of them up as well. I hear they top the shark. I have yet to smoke any yet.
  • phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    Possibly. Your one of the main shark donators I have had. I think I bought one or two. Hey if you find them by the box, lmk via pm if you would. I found one place that has them/or will have them for like 450ish. I think that's a tad high. I too have tried to set some funds aside for the xmas releases. Hoping to get some GOF boxes, anejos and opus's.
    I am extremely jealous that yall can drop that much on cigars. If I did, I would insure them and collect payment because through a series of small fires, they've all gone up in flames ;) think it would work?