Home Non Cigar Related

If you drink whisky...this is sad...

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
Apparently a lot of the new proliferation is just a new proliferation of labels, gimmicks, and stories. Very, very sad.

Click here for a story

^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    KGB Spirits, the company behind the New Mexico “destilaría,” was founded in 2009; but its flagship Ceran St. Vrain straight rye whiskey comes with an age statement of 15 years in the barrel. Or take Breaker bourbon, the “first bourbon produced in Southern California since Prohibition.” The Buellton, California company behind the brand, Ascendant Spirits, wasn’t started until 2013. Yet, they brag their “ultra small batch bourbon” is aged 5 years. So how do you open a distillery one year and have 5- or 15-year-old whiskey to sell the next? Not by making it.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    KGB Spirits, the company behind the New Mexico “destilaría,” was founded in 2009; but its flagship Ceran St. Vrain straight rye whiskey comes with an age statement of 15 years in the barrel. Or take Breaker bourbon, the “first bourbon produced in Southern California since Prohibition.” The Buellton, California company behind the brand, Ascendant Spirits, wasn’t started until 2013. Yet, they brag their “ultra small batch bourbon” is aged 5 years. So how do you open a distillery one year and have 5- or 15-year-old whiskey to sell the next? Not by making it.
    Yeah, that's some of the worst of it. The other terrible part is the bit about a company with a story about a pre-prohibition recipe and such and is just using stock whisky from the factory.
    On the other hand, I've come to appreciate my taste a bit more. In trying a lot of new stuff I thought I was burning out on it thinking it all tasted the same to me. Guess not!
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Bah, the only true rye for me is Pikesville, but this is sad news. Did you finish your stash, Ken?

I'm mostly drinking Scotch these days, but I came across a similar proliferation of NAS (No Age Statement) scotch. They are legally bound to have what they advertise in the bottle, but with NAS stuff, they can take anything of dubious age, dump it in the bottle, and charge more for it as a "special edition". Look for Talisker Storm the next time you're in the store and you'll see what I mean. I seriously doubt anything in that is aged past 10 years.
    allsmokedup:
    Bah, the only true rye for me is Pikesville, but this is sad news. Did you finish your stash, Ken?

I'm mostly drinking Scotch these days, but I came across a similar proliferation of NAS (No Age Statement) scotch. They are legally bound to have what they advertise in the bottle, but with NAS stuff, they can take anything of dubious age, dump it in the bottle, and charge more for it as a "special edition". Look for Talisker Storm the next time you're in the store and you'll see what I mean. I seriously doubt anything in that is aged past 10 years.
    Hell no, I'm savoring it! Hahaha, I think I got almost the first bottle gone though. I age cigars pretty well too, I have a lot of willpower! Unfortunately this is more than just rye, it's a lot of bourbon. But the funny thing is, it's pretty good bourbon. I have had some of it, even some that they said it just straight from the factory, and it's not bad! They don't really need silly stories to sell it.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, that is sad. But I don't really try many newer brands. Give me Woodford, Bulleit, Knob Creek... they have rye's too, and I'm happy happy.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    Hmmm, that is sad. But I don't really try many newer brands. Give me Woodford, Bulleit, Knob Creek... they have rye's too, and I'm happy happy.
    Bulleit's rye is on the list. Sorry, man.
    Ken Light:
    Gray4lines:
    Bulleit's rye is on the list. Sorry, man.
    You are absolutely right. Lol! I knew bulleit was a little newer. It's pretty affordable too. Glad I just bought it cause I like it, not to be hip! Interesting that even though bulleit is a part of diageo they still just buy up already made rye.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    That explains the wording here: image "Starts like every other...." Apparently the rum casks add about $40/bottle.
    SleevePlz:
    That explains the wording here: image "Starts like every other...." Apparently the rum casks add about $40/bottle.
    Damn... I would kinda feel cheated if I paid a lot for a "factory" bourbon that was finished somewhere else. That is disappointing. Angels envy is billed as pretty high end, isn't it?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    SleevePlz:
    Damn... I would kinda feel cheated if I paid a lot for a "factory" bourbon that was finished somewhere else. That is disappointing. Angels envy is billed as pretty high end, isn't it?
    Yeah, it is. At the end of the day, it is delicious. However, there is obviously some much cheaper versions that are going to be pretty similar.
    Angle's Envy is pretty good, never tried the rye. The finishing somewhere else is actually better than some, that just do (and say!) things like "hand-bottled," basically they did nothing but tap the keg. I like the idea of angel's envy finishing, I need to do a side-by-side with one that's "hand-bottled" to compare.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saved me some money I can now spend on cigars and other frivolous pursuits.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Gray4lines:
    SleevePlz:
    Yeah, it is. At the end of the day, it is delicious. However, there is obviously some much cheaper versions that are going to be pretty similar.
    I have a bottle of Angels Envy (not rye) with the same label. Even though I like the bourbon, I will most likely go back to Blanton's, Bookers and Bakers for my higher end choices now.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    I was pretty saddened to see AE on that list.