Home General Discussion
Options

I just thought I was cheap....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
I think I just like cheap cigars. I've been trying a lot of different cigars over the course of the last several months and my humidor now has probably 150 cigars in it. I have lots of Gurhka, Oliva, Oliveros, Drew Estates, Rocky Patel, Arturo Fuente OpusX, Pepin Garcia, 5 Vegas, etc etc etc. All the usual stuff. And I've tried countless others. And while I've enjoyed most of these cigars, very few really stuck out and said "Man this is a really good one!" I also keep another box that has a bunch of cheap cigars, JR rip offs of Monterey De Joya and some Rosa Cubas, that I smoke when I'm either not sure if I want a cigar, or if I'm in a hurry and don't mind setting it down half way. This way, I don't lose much more than a dollar if I choose to set it down.

Frankly, with the exeption of a couple $30 cigars that I've experienced and a few notables, most of the $5-10 cigars I've had didn't really seem that much better than the el cheapos that I keep on the side.

Or maybe I've just become so cheap in everything else that I can't tell the difference between crap and quality anymore. Who knows!

Comments

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    If you'd like, I'll buy cheapos and trade you for your others straight up! ;)
  • Options
    i'll trade you some backwoods that have been aging for 2 years for your olivas =)
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Vegas sucks so send them to me cuz I am a **** and that would hurt my feelings. In return I will send you the free pack of grape Swisher Sweets I have in my visor. mmmmmmmmmm grapey
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I do still enjoy my other cigars. It's just a lot of them, I don't enjoy any more (or less) than some of my pricier cigars.

Thanks for the offer on the Swishers though........ graaaaapey!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    I do still enjoy my other cigars. It's just a lot of them, I don't enjoy any more (or less) than some of my pricier cigars.

I will agree with you on price doesn't mean quality. Also people have different tastes. My thought is, I must try new things and many of the "wow" cigars are spendy and usually I too am not impressed. I really don't like a lot of cigars I smoke. That is why I have a lot of the same cigars in my humi. I have a crap load of gurkhas and it's because I love them. I have a few from AF (opus, anejos, GOF, Between the Lines, short story) because I like them. Even though most of the stuff from AF I haven't really enjoyed enough to stock up on. I also have most of the ashton's in my collection. Other than those, that makes up the bulk of my stock. Yeah I have a box of comacho 3x maduros but that's really all I like from them, though I have some singles of the scorpio and the liberty's. I like some of the nubs, but not all. 5 vegas is really the only other company I have multiple lines from. CAO is really a miss for me, though I like a couple of their blends, the GOLD, America, Black VR, LX2, Soprano, Brazilia, Italia. I enjoy some other cigars too like the partagas black, RP vintage 90, Olivia's V maduro (regular too). I wouldn't go so far as say spendy cigars don't deliver, but I will say that a lot of what I have had do not. Also it seems that many of them it depends on where you get them. For instance, at my local shop, they had some opus's for 12 - 16 dollars. The La Flor Mysterio's were 17.85 each. For me, I'd go with the opus's. I haven't had a mysterio but I know the opus's are good so it's easy. I still ordered a box of each mysterio recently so I will find out if they are as good as the price suggest. I personally do not expect more from a pricey cigar as compared to a cheaper cigar. I really enjoy the Ccom red label and it is cheap enough to smoke daily, but I also enjoy VSG's, which if I could afford 6 more boxes then sure, I'd smoke them daily. One cigar company which is usually expensive are Greycliffs. I really haven't enjoyed one cigar from them, and for the price of their cigars I could get two, maybe three cigars I do like. But I wouldn't know that unless I have had them. It's all just a crap shoot and if your able to read reviews before you buy your much more likely to buy what you like. Also it is a good idea to learn what a specific reviewer leans towards so you will know more of what your buying. Say, our very own Laker, he and I enjoy a lot of the same cigars, so I know if he likes a cigar, and enough to get a box, that I too will more likely enjoy them as well. Rob, wheelie, and Jozer also share the same type of tastes. Kuzi has a bit different taste than I do but we do enjoy some of the same cigars so with him it's more of a gamble than say if Laker is down with a cigar. Maybe it's just that I've been around here too much. That's my take though.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:

I feel you man! I feel the EXACT same way... Recently I also started just not "giving cigars a chance" if they don't live up to my expectations. Like I would set down an Padilla 1932 or recently a RP 1961 barely half way... I have found just a few cigars i like and I am slowly trading away all the rest. Honestly I probably wont even care about any Opus=es or whatever... IDK... I feel weird but I am kind of on a quest of cleansing my humidors because I realized there is absolutely NO point in me keeping cigars I will neither ever smoke nor enjoy while I smoke... What is the point of having an Opus X sitting there? "Its in my collection!"? Nah.. BS.. I dont really care for stashing it away for some weird reason... I'd rather give the cigars I dont like away to people that would appreciate them more... Like I did with all my MoWs... I will NEVER like a cigar with the flavor profile of a MoW. It just doesnt do it for me... ANyway...
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Renaissance_Man:
    What is the point of having an Opus X sitting there? "Its in my collection!"? Nah.. BS.. I dont really care for stashing it away for some weird reason... I'd rather give the cigars I dont like away to people that would appreciate them more... Like I did with all my MoWs... I will NEVER like a cigar with the flavor profile of a MoW. It just doesnt do it for me... ANyway...
    Shall I pm you my address?