Home Non Cigar Related

Female Thor??

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor

Uhm........What?
Now I may not follow these things too well, but this type of thing surely makes you go WTF?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor

Uhm........What?
    Now I may not follow these things too well, but this type of thing surely makes you go WTF?
    I agree. Finger-down-throat, Gakkk!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....and they are also promoting a skinny model as the new Wonder Woman....in an all black outfit....

....are we witnessing PC going to far again?

I miss Baby Huey and The Tick.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    ....and they are also promoting a skinny model as the new Wonder Woman....in an all black outfit....

the tick was a one of a kind show. If they got Patrick Warburton to do a Tick movie... I would crap myself with joy and die.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you see the prequel? The real Thor gets casrurated and sent to scientology audit sessions to become more girly.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    if you don't read the comics them this doesn't make sense to you. The title of "THor" in the marvel universe is given to the person holding the hammer Mjolnir. Anyone who is worthy of the title of "thor" can wield the hammer and be granted "thor's" powers.

Odinson (the character you know as thor) as of late has been making decisions in the comics that are un-thorlike.

apparently there is going to be a story that is going to build up to the point that Mjolnir decides that Odinson (the character you all refer to as thor) is no longer worthy to wield Mjolnir and a new "thor" is chosen.

Odinson will still be around, but will wield an Ax and still have similar powers because he has them as a god, but will not have the all powerful "thoresque" powers.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    if you don't read the comics them this doesn't make sense to you. The title of "THor" in the marvel universe is given to the person holding the hammer Mjolnir. Anyone who is worthy of the title of "thor" can wield the hammer and be granted "thor's" powers.

Odinson (the character you know as thor) as of late has been making decisions in the comics that are un-thorlike.

apparently there is going to be a story that is going to build up to the point that Mjolnir decides that Odinson (the character you all refer to as thor) is no longer worthy to wield Mjolnir and a new "thor" is chosen.

Odinson will still be around, but will wield an Ax and still have similar powers because he has them as a god, but will not have the all powerful "thoresque" powers.
    Interesting how off based Marvel is from the real Norse mythology.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    The thing to remember too is that the number of "Nerdy Girls" who are into Comics, Video Games and all the nerdy awesomeness out there has really risen in recent years. Between shows like Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead and all the Comic Book movies being put out it has really gotten a lot of girls into this sort of thing. Marvel is just trying to cash in on that demographic and seeing the back story Brian provided it does at least make some kind of sense.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    Last semester of college i decide to take an elective called the "world of vikings". while taking the course we had to read many stories and epics. I can tell you this there was no girl version of Thor, there were a lot of people named thor, thorgood, thora and others named after the god.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I personally don't really care one way or the other, but.....
    Mjolnir is forged by Dwarven blacksmiths, and is composed of the fictional Asgardian metal "uru". The side of the hammer carries the inscription

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

if "HE" be worthy

Looks like they may have to get Eitri to alter the inscription on the hammer to change (if HE) to (if ... t HE y) be worthy or in this case (if ...s HE) be worthy lol
    jimmyv723:
    The thing to remember too is that the number of "Nerdy Girls" who are into Comics, Video Games and all the nerdy awesomeness out there has really risen in recent years. Between shows like Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead and all the Comic Book movies being put out it has really gotten a lot of girls into this sort of thing. Marvel is just trying to cash in on that demographic and seeing the back story Brian provided it does at least make some kind of sense.

Nope Nope Nope. It started when the son of a Marvel big wig lost his son to the violent act involving drugs. The first act of PC was when he planted Batman on the beach in Va and he pronounced guns as the root of all evil. Boy, the first Batman movie that went along with that sure was a real whoopy at the theaters.

As far as suggesting that there are few female hero's in comic books I suggest you take a little trip to your local comic book seller and count them. You will find an absolute over abundance of female heroines and a few villains.

I use to have a huge collection of Shi, Vampirella, Dawn, Lady Death, Elktra, Rogue, Wonder Woman, Storm, Cyblade, Purgatori, and on and on. Marvel had a whole bunch of female players and this latest alteration is pure PC.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:

I miss Calvin and Hobbs
    jd50ae:
    jimmyv723:

Nope Nope Nope. It started when the son of a Marvel big wig lost his son to the violent act involving drugs. The first act of PC was when he planted Batman on the beach in Va and he pronounced guns as the root of all evil. Boy, the first Batman movie that went along with that sure was a real whoopy at the theaters.

As far as suggesting that there are few female hero's in comic books I suggest you take a little trip to your local comic book seller and count them. You will find an absolute over abundance of female heroines and a few villains.

I use to have a huge collection of Shi, Vampirella, Dawn, Lady Death, Elktra, Rogue, Wonder Woman, Storm, Cyblade, Purgatori, and on and on. Marvel had a whole bunch of female players and this latest alteration is pure PC.

When did I ever say anything about there being few female heroes in Comic Books. All I said is that the number of girls who are into this type of thing has skyrocketed in recent years.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

jimmyv723:
    jd50ae:
    jimmyv723:

When did I ever say anything about there being few female heroes in Comic Books. All I said is that the number of girls who are into this type of thing has skyrocketed in recent years.

You are 100% correct and I apologize. I am such a big dummy.....
    jd50ae:
    jimmyv723:
    jd50ae:
    jimmyv723:

No worries and I don't disagree with you. Just noticed and wanted to point out how much more popular this stuff is with girls than it used to be. It's actually pretty awesome to have so many into it and let's face it, Nerdy Girls are hot :)
    Enola Gay - Target #29

jimmyv723:
    jd50ae:
    jimmyv723:
    jd50ae:
    jimmyv723:

No worries and I don't disagree with you. Just noticed and wanted to point out how much more popular this stuff is with girls than it used to be. It's actually pretty awesome to have so many into it and let's face it, Nerdy Girls are hot :)

I have a faint recollection from the last comic con I went to....of course that was before light bulbs.
    The new PC Wonder Woman.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    The new PC Wonder Woman.

Well, she did kind of make the plane invisible.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I use to have a huge collection of Shi, Vampirella, Dawn, Lady Death, Elktra, Rogue, Wonder Woman, Storm, Cyblade, Purgatori, and on and on.
    I had that stack too when i was that age.... man -o- man...!!!!!!

Aj