Home Cigar 101
Options

Resting sticks bought from B&M walk in ..

honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
So after replying to Jd in another post, it made me wonder and want to ask about cigars purchased from a B&M's walk in where sticks are also stored for a bit before put into the shelves for sale...
I go to a local B&M here in town that only sells there make "Hatuey Cigars" at least once a month if not every week and buy my daily sticks from there walk in room as well as smoke 1-2 sticks while I'm there also
I have no problems with the sticks I smoke there while buying, and start smoking them from home out of my wineador from the very next day without trouble, BUT.....
Should I be letting them rest a bit like I would my online orders that I will let sit for a week or two
(depending on my urges and if I have any others to smoke at the time of the orders arrival)
I guess I have not thought about this before because I will smoke the same sticks at the shop and figure other then my rh being about 4 points less then what they store them at, there always yummy and good to go there and when I get home.

Insights all ???

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless they just came off the truck at the B&M and onto the shelves, I say they're ready to smoke.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've rarely had issues with sticks from a B&M, unless they don't know what they are doing and crank their humidty too high.
    If it's a really fast mover and they are constantly getting stock, then it might be one to rest, but if you are smoking them right away and they're fine, like was stated, then I agree with Bob.
    But you might try letting a couple rest for a while and see what happens.
    It might be interesting to see if or how they might change.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Rgr Rgr guys, Thanks for the info
    Hmmm let some rest to see what happens you say....
    I might have to get a few to "hide" in the cooler for a while so I wont see them and grab them next time I buy some just to test it out , I like them already, could only improve, right ? :D
    I'll admit right up front that I'm not good at "waiting" with good cigars, If I have anything I like, I usually go for it, (also 1-2 sticks a day makes them go fast) the only ones that get aged in my cooler are the ones I'm not overly fond of, they get to "age" until I don't have anything else to smoke :D though I do like to let all shipped orders wait at least a week, two if I can hold out (that's more like letting them relax then aging though lol)
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I tend to look for a sign as to what RH the humidors are before smoking them from a B&M...typically they are at 70% and for me that's a sign to smoke em there. I've seen other B&M's where the RH was at 72 and that doesn't bode well....I take them home and put em away for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I tend to look for a sign as to what RH the humidors are before smoking them from a B&M...typically they are at 70% and for me that's a sign to smoke em there. I've seen other B&M's where the RH was at 72 and that doesn't bode well....I take them home and put em away for a couple of weeks.
    technically the only thing that should be kept at 72 by the brands request is davidoff...but no I alway buy something and smoke what I bought somewhere down the line
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    The monitor on the wall at the shop I frequent always shows 69 when I notice it
    Now the other "normal" b&m in town that has all the regular cigar brands monitor always shows 72 to 74, (they have a 6' wide water wall from floor to ceiling that looks way cool, but I think it keeps it to wet in there walk in) I don't go there very often (usually just if I need to buy my wife a few flavored sticks while waiting on an online order) it's not a comfortable feel for me personally - to uppity (and overly expensive) for my taste - and I just really like Hatuey so much anyway
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Cigary:
    technically the only thing that should be kept at 72 by the brands request is davidoff...but no I alway buy something and smoke what I bought somewhere down the line
    Didn't know that about Davidoff which probably let's you know that I don't smoke em that often even though I have tried. Most B&M's that I visit around the country tend to keep their humidors at 72 because they know that people are in and out of them a lot so they bump up the humidification. The B&M's I traditionally go to always have great product and I will always smoke what I buy immediately.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I walked into a B@M's humi once and it felt like I stepped into the jungle. And sure enuf I find 2 boxes that are covered with mold. Of course the guy working there said it was plume and it was a good thing??
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only B&M I have found here is run by a real surly type (long lost brother?) and you dare not mention internet purchases. Actually quit going there, but when I did I could light up on the way to the car and not be worried about it.

He sold one cigar in particular that I have never seen anywhere else and I always bought one. The condition was perfect and it smoked perfect. It had a large lady in a blue dress on the band and was a San something or other.