Home Cigar 101

Too tight!

AshMeAshMe Miami, FLPosts: 343
Hello all. I just came inside from chucking a whole CC Montecristo Tubo (I smoked 1/2 of an inch). It was so tight that I got a headache trying to draw through it. I used a guillotine cutter so it wasn't a problem with the size of the opening. What can cause a cigar to be so tight? Is it just a bad rolling job?
"Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭
    I'd think humidity and the roll would be the most likely culprits. Also, search around here about dry boxing and draw tools. I tell you, my draw tool has saved quite a few sticks since a BOTL sent it to me.imageFor more information, you can check out...http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/658825.aspxhttp://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/153448.aspxhttp://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/60936.aspxhttp://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/757589.aspx
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis South DakotaPosts: 6,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you need one of these. Found mine on eBay for $12 or so.
  • AshMeAshMe Miami, FLPosts: 343
    cool! thanks guys. didnt know this existed. glad im here learning with you guys
  • jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:

Made mine from a piece of coat hanger wire....
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis South DakotaPosts: 6,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    CharlieHeis:

Made mine from a piece of coat hanger wire....
    That would work too!
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Draw tools are worth their weight in gold...just make sure it's a good one. I've saved a ton of cigars from being plugged and it's usually a humidification issue that causes the problem.
    Ok. I just ordered my draw enhancer. But, how do I use it? Do I just run it through? Once? Twice? Wiggle it?
    Depends on where the problem is. I never run mine all the way through, I'll do it once about half the length and if it's still tight I'll go about 3/4. Anymore than that and I toss it.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior N.C. MountainsPosts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found that leaving the draw tool in for a minute or so allows the cigar to relax a bit. If you run it all the way through the cigar will burn hot.
    The Native Peoples of the Americas gave tobacco to the world.
    Ok but do I push it in through the head or the foot?
    If you're not pushing it all the way, I'd recommend the head. Jeez that sounds dirty. Just try it out and figure out what works for you.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Xacto knife
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • It could be the humidity, rolled too tight, or that it has a stem in it.
    I never imagined it would be so small. Rain's stick looked bigger in the picture. image
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    I never imagined it would be so small. Rain's stick looked bigger in the picture.

"Thats What She Said"

Sorry... Couldnt resist.

Aj
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Size does matter!!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken already sucked before joining forum,.....just sayin'.Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    AshMe:
    I never imagined it would be so small. Rain's stick looked bigger in the picture.

"Thats What She Said"

Sorry... Couldnt resist.

Aj
    LOL welcome back AJ.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn HahahahaaaaaPosts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭
    Was it real?!?! Pics?!?!
    Money can't buy taste
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    As another brother told me on the sister forum (Thanks KC) don't be cheap and order The Drawpoker! I did and it has paid for itself over and over. I run it through (and let it sit for a few min) then change positions (usually twice, top/bottom). Works like a champ but is only sold by a competitor that pushes mostly crappy cigars.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior N.C. MountainsPosts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Drawpoker also. It keeps the wire rod centered. Only place to find it as far as I know is that pushy company who tries to sell you cigars you don't want.
    The Native Peoples of the Americas gave tobacco to the world.