Home Non Cigar Related

I'm pickled

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
We'll I just love about everything pickled especially pickled tomatoes!! I've been searching for great recipes and through trial and error have only have very few live up to my standards....anyone else know a good recipie?
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had one for you. I love pickled stuff too. It is pickliiscious! Ok, I know, that was a bit over the top.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yum. Pickled Halibut and pickled cod.
    My step-dad used to make a killer pickled halibut.
    Wish I could find that recipe.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make tons of pickles, but never tomatoes. I will soon have an abundance of tomatoes too. If you come across any, let us know
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    We'll I just love about everything pickled especially pickled tomatoes!! I've been searching for great recipes and through trial and error have only have very few live up to my standards....anyone else know a good recipie?
    Best book on pickling I have found is So Easy To Preserve by University of Georgia Coop Extension www.soeasytopreserve.com The book has many many great recipes
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yum!! My sister makes great cukes and green beans. I will ask her about tomatoes. Take the alcohol out of a Bloody Mary and a doctored up spicy tomatoe drink with pickled green bean and asparagas!!
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was a thread about you being drunk...but dang, now I want something pickled. Just not pigs feet.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    i like pickled asian feet ;)
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Pickling is a lot of fun but I've never followed a recipe. I do that a lot. There are general guidelines, as in: Don't boil tomatoes or cucumbers as they'll get mushy and nasty. Some veggies need a quick boil (I just boil in the vinegar/water mix), like Cauliflower (fav of mine). I recently pickled cauliflower, radishes, carrots, jalapenos, anise root, green beans and asparagus. When I did tomatoes, I used green tomatoes, sliced thin and used a fairly standard, dill/garlic pickle brine but added a bit of honey, star anise, clove and allspice. I actually really liked those spices with the pickled tomatoes. They're great on a sandwich.

Good Luck!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    so when your finished with the pickles we can expect you to have a bunch of new cigar jars? LOL >>>

Aj
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wife and I made our first ever batch of pickles yesterday. We grew some "Lemon" cucumbers this year, and wanted some way to preserve them. We just used a one-step mix, but we've bought some pickling spices etc., thinking about pickling some of the carrots that need to come out of the ground. We also grew some yellow tomatoes that are small, like cherry-tomato small, but so many have split, I'm not sure how successful that would be. Might sift through and try some if we do the carrots. Decidedly fun.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    IF you like pickled things then you should try pickled garlic. I just got some habanero pickled garlic and it is FANTASTIC! It's neither too hot nor too garlicy
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    IF you like pickled things then you should try pickled garlic. I just got some habanero pickled garlic and it is FANTASTIC! It's neither too hot nor too garlicy

Never thought of that. I have about 20 heads of garlic from the garden wondering what to do with them