Home Cigar 101

New Lighter Recommendations

My Lighter is crapping out and I'm looking for a new one or some way to fix my old one. Need recommendations.

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I hear Xikars are pretty good, and come w/ a lifetime warranty.

"Long ashes my friends."

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Xikar Element is a fantastic lighter, I'd recommend that one.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar items can be returned to any store anywhere in the world and exchanged for brand new no questions asked. The cool thing is they take the return items and try to fix them. If they can be fixed they send them to the troops overseas. That is cool. Not to mention the quality of their stuff. I am hoping to get a cutter and lighter from them for Christmas.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I have one by Rocky Patel that is pretty good, it's getting a bit beat up, but it's a pocket lighter so I was expecting that. I've heard of guys picking some up at Walmart for 6 bucks that are working out great for them. If they lose it, not a big deal.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Garen B:
    I have one by Rocky Patel that is pretty good...

Which one I like RP cigars (the two I've had) and I wouldn't mind touting some of his stuff.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have a couple Xikars. An Executive (single torch) and an EX (windproof softflame). I also have a couple Vectors. An old Flint lighting soft flame and a TriForce (triple jet) I have to say the most reliable and the one I get the most lights from is the Xikar EX. But I like all of these for different reasons
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I have a Xikar Eris. Not cheap but not super expensive. I like the punch on the bottom-comes in handy sometimes. Love the warranty but hope I never have to use it. I also really like the side button, as it doesn't heat up as quickly as some others I have used; I don't enjoy burning my thumbs while lighting my cigar.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    The one from walmart is called a ronson. It's the same company that makes the red capped cheap butane. I got one of em and am pretty impressed. I don't use it very often, only as a backup or to pass around during a herf so people can light up quicker, but for the 3 bucks I paid for it, it's really effective. I also have a couple of colibri firebirds. People hate on colibri a lot, but one of them I got 3 years ago and I still go to it daily for a reliable light. It looks cool and I get compliments on it regularly. I'm thinking of getting a soft flame, but have never used one for a cigar. I have a zippo, but I hear you shouldn't use them for your sticks cause it adds flavors. Any thoughts on zippo's and soft flame lighters?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Zippo makes a cigar lighter called the Blue. They are reasonably priced and I've seen a few positive reviews from them. I've got one a friend gave me, and it works well. I've had a few little issues with it, but the website helped me figure out what was wrong. Lifetime guarantee as well, though not as convenient as the Xicar warranty.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    My Lighter is crapping out and I'm looking for a new one or some way to fix my old one. Need recommendations.
    Ccom has a great single flame that came with one of my orders, but I think you can get it separate. It's reliable that's for sure. Or you could go with Xikar. They have good lighters, I have a duel flame that works well.
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    I'm with Phobes here; the Xikar Executive and the CCom single flame are both fantastic. I like the Xikar more and it comes with a lifetime warranty, but the CCom has a fuel window. Can't even tell you how frustrating it is to try and light a stogie with a lighter in the wind only to find out it's out of fuel, and you know you don't have a chance with a match.
  • Whatever you do, do not get a colibri, they make only the shiniest pieces of junk.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    I've heard of guys picking some up at Walmart for 6 bucks that are working out great for them. If they lose it, not a big deal.
    That sounds like Leonard, he's always talking about his $3 Ronson from Walmart and it seems like a pretty solid lighter.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Xikar and Rocky Patel both put out great lighters. Or you can go with the bic grill lighter (jk)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have a Cigar.com 3 flame, vertigo single, colibri single, another vertigo single, a Las Vegas with a nake woman single (Red Flame) and a Xikar Nautilus (1 week old)

I have not had any problems with the Colibri and it's my go to lighter (for $20 that is)

My New Xikar is a very well built and awesome lighter.
    The difference between the Xikar and the others is the Xikar's turn nob for the flame height actually works.
    The Xikar can have the slightest little flame and work or have a big 4.5" flame and work too. The Colibri and others produce three stages. *No Flame* *Inch Flame* *No flame* Luckily I like the 1" flame for my cigars so it's cool, but he Xikar is the best one if you wanna spring for it!
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    I have one of the Ronson mentioned above. It's called the JetLite. It looks great and works awesome. If you guys in the US can get em for $3 at walmart, that's a steal. I paid $12 for mine and am very happy, though I 've never had another cigar lighter before. Maybe I'll try a multi flame torch next time.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Wow .... do i feel awful to do this but i have a colibri ..... it was on the market for 3 months before it was pulled cause people were burning themselves ..... but its a tank and works fantastic ..... i also have a few of the little torch ones that you always see the crack addicts have ..... for cheapies they work great ... i get em at the flea market for like a buck fifty or 2 bucks
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple different gas station butanes, as well as a 3 flame torch that came with my new humi. For my next lighter, however, I'm going with a soft-flame. The way I see it is this:

Torches are great when you're trying to light in the wind, and they light your stick quickly. However I am rarely smoking in inclement weather, and in fact prefer smoking inside. In addition, I find that it's much easier to torch my stick with a torch, so to speak, creating a much harsher beginning draw. I know it's totally possible to make this smoother - I'd just rather not have the worry. Furthermore, I love the classic profile and look of a flint lighter.

So, having found soft-flame butane lighters (so as to avoid the odor of lighter fluid), I find that a soft-flame works better for my needs and desires. You can find examples of these from many companies - from Xikar, to IM Corona (my favorite), all the way to the extravagant offerings from S.T. DuPont.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i love my Xikar lighter. ive had the thing for almost 4 years now and i cant remember a single time its not lit on the first strike.
    stephen_hannibal:
    Garen B:
    I have one by Rocky Patel that is pretty good...

Which one I like RP cigars (the two I've had) and I wouldn't mind touting some of his stuff.
    No idea, its just a silver one that I picked up at my local B&M. It's beat all to hell, but I bought it because it looked like it could take some abuse, not because it looked pretty (that was just a bonus).

King, I'm one of those people that had a Colibri that could have burned me, but it fell apart before it could do some serious damage. I ended up taking it apart and found a fairly large crack in the gas line that would have been trouble if I used it a few more times.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I also use a RP lighter, single torch. I got it last year as a gift and has worked very well. Even Rocky himself used it once ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• bibbybibby Posts: 152
    JZ:
    Xikar and Rocky Patel both put out great lighters. Or you can go with the bic grill lighter (jk)
    Funny you mentioned this; I just had to use a grill lighter to light a stick last week. Went camping at about 7800 feet of elevation and my butane torch didn't light at all. Suffice to say lesson learned, use matches at elevation.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have a Xikar Executive Torch that I don't use very often, but will bring on the road. I usually burn the foot too hot with that though. When I am at home, I actually use fireplace matches or regular size wooden matches that I have like a thousand of. I like the whole wood match toasting process.
    If your frying the foot with the torch lighter, try backing it off the flame a bit. You don't want it to actually touch the foot of the cigar, the heat from the flame goes a fairly long ways before it gets cool enough to not light the stick.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I love my Xicar Plunge. The fuel window lets me make sure I never run out by surprise.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Garen B:
    If your frying the foot with the torch lighter, try backing it off the flame a bit. You don't want it to actually touch the foot of the cigar, the heat from the flame goes a fairly long ways before it gets cool enough to not light the stick.

I know I know. I think I get antsy holding it out there that long watching fuel burn and then I keep going too close and then too far and it's really just a personal anxiety issue. I'm not mature enough to handle that much power ;)
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have a Colibri Enterprise? I'm thinking about dropping a wad on one and wanted to know if it was worth it. I like the look of it, it's a bit more upscale than anything else currently on the market. It'd be something to keep on the coffee table in my man cave.

I bought a Xikar Genesis back in early '06 as a pocket lighter, and since then I've only had to replace it once. All I did was take it back into where I bought it from and they just handed me a brand new one, no questions asked. I might have to go in and get that one replaced, it's starting to act funny again.

Also have a two-flame torch from Ccom that came in the six-count Oliva G +cutter gift set. Works fairly well, but sputters and dies if it's not set EXACTLY "right," which IMO is too much flame.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    betasynn:
    Xikar Element is a fantastic lighter, I'd recommend that one.
    We're going into more detail, so let me just say, this thing is solid, has a fuel window, two jets, and a built-in punch cut on the bottom that works very well.