Home General Discussion
Options

Xi3 vs. Xi2

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
I know this has come up on other threads, but I thought it would make sense to put it all in one spot for people considering either of these cutters. My first purchase was a Granite Xi2 and, until recently, my Xi3 Mayan (not the 3D) had been sitting unused on the top shelf of my closet. While I think the Xi2 is a nice cutter and certainly does the job, the Xi3 is heavier in the hand, has a smoother action and provides a much cleaner cut...the term 'like a hot knife through butter' comes to mind. The difference is very noticeable.
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a xi2 and xi3. Got the 3 first, but the wooden handles became a little loose, even after I re-glued (I should send it in) so I got a xi2 on sale as backup. I have noticed the xi3 is heavier in hand, of course it has more metal to it and no fiberglass. I have not noticed a drop in cut quality going from 3 to 2 though. I thought the difference was purely materials (not the blades) and aesthetics. I will have to compare back to back. Acxording to xikar they have the same hardness rating. They are both fantastic cutters though and I have had years of use out of both.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    They've got some nice looking versions but never used one personally. I ended up getting the MTX Multi Tool Scissors and really like them. I do like the accessories but with the uncertainty of what will happen with Tobacco Regulations I'm trying to focus on the Cigars and worry about building an accessory collection down the road.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    jimmyv723:
    They've got some nice looking versions but never used one personally. I ended up getting the MTX Multi Tool Scissors and really like them. I do like the accessories but with the uncertainty of what will happen with Tobacco Regulations I'm trying to focus on the Cigars and worry about building an accessory collection down the road.
    Out of curiosity, why did you choose scissors over a guillotine cutter? I've thought about trying it a couple times.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    jimmyv723:
    Dang, double post.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    jimmyv723:
    Out of curiosity, why did you choose scissors over a guillotine cutter? I've thought about trying it a couple times.

Easier to make a precise cut with them at least for me anyway. Plus some of the built in tools do come in handy like the one poker is good for bleeding a butane lighter before refilling it. They fold up and have a key ring on them as well.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the scissors as well. I don't know if I have used my Xi2 since I got them. Seems more precise to me. You can almost shave the cap to get it where you want.
    I bought the Xikar MTX but then I got the Calcutta brand as a giveaway at CFest this year. Almost identical to the point you wonder if it is the same manufacturer. I think the Xikar is a little smaller, but twice the price.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the xi2 and mtx and really couldn't be happier with them...I don't feel the need to over spend on cutters since if your happy with what you have then your good! I will say a very under rated cutter is the x8 which my buddy got and damn it's sharp!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    X8 is what I have, does the job and I am happy. Recently got a Xikar punch and giving it a honest go
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    X8 is what I have, does the job and I am happy. Recently got a Xikar punch and giving it a honest go
    I was underwhelmed with the xikar punch. It was not as sharp as some some others and the push/pull action is stupid. It pushes in when youre trying to punch but then wont push out hard enough to eject the punched tobacco out. I use it, but its annoying to push the punch in with my thumb to close it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    FireRob:
    I was underwhelmed with the xikar punch. It was not as sharp as some some others and the push/pull action is stupid. It pushes in when youre trying to punch but then wont push out hard enough to eject the punched tobacco out. I use it, but its annoying to push the punch in with my thumb to close it.

+1 there. The twist one is worse. Twists shut when trying to cut.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the slim Xikar cutter in the gang war and man is it great! That this is sharp. I have a couple other Colinri's and they do not compare.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Gray4lines:
    FireRob:

+1 there. The twist one is worse. Twists shut when trying to cut.
    Mine is the Twist. The only other punch I have used is a super cheapo I got off the devil site at two for $2 and the Xikar excels compared to the cheap-o plastic ones but it does twist close when using it.