Home General Discussion
Options

split wrapper and binder

I have had several sticks in the past 2 months that have split at the end, when I attempted to cut the cap. This does not happen to all my sticks, but mostly to ones I have just purchased. Could it be that I just haven't aged them enough in my humidor? The split is often more than an inch in length an makes smoking them virtually impossible. Maybe a punch would remedy the problem.

Comments

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the blade sharp? I had an older cutter that I had a couple problems cutting with so I replaced it and the difference was ridiculous. I started using a punch a while back and I really like it. I now use my cutter on torpedoes and a couple coronas that are a bit small for the punch.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are newer, could be overhumidified from shipping. The binder may have swelled up and cutting causes it to pop the wrapper. If using my own cutter, I always lick the cap of the cigar and this helps the wrapper not split when cutting too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a common problem with online orders. I've had it happen often when I couldn't help myself and had to have one ROTT. Best to let them rest in the humi a couple weeks first. Also now I always have a tube of unflavored Chapstick on hand for just that purpose use it like pectin.