Options

Are my cigars dyed?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Rhamlin:
    It's not a dye per say but a wash made from tobacco to add nicotine( hence stronger since you can only reach a certain amount of nicotine without adding it) and to darken it. Rule of thump if it's pitch black is been treated is what Ive been told by reliable sources.
    ... or it could be an oscuro. those cure on the plant a little then they ferment heavily. i guess then there is still some variation but since it is so dark its sometimes hard to tell.
    True dat to. I love a good Oscuro.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    kuzi16:
    Rhamlin:
    It's not a dye per say but a wash made from tobacco to add nicotine( hence stronger since you can only reach a certain amount of nicotine without adding it) and to darken it. Rule of thump if it's pitch black is been treated is what Ive been told by reliable sources.
    ... or it could be an oscuro. those cure on the plant a little then they ferment heavily. i guess then there is still some variation but since it is so dark its sometimes hard to tell.
    True dat to. I love a good Oscuro.

+1
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    jd50ae:
    I'm surprised no one has answered your post. Don't fret it ain't dye. I think what you are talking about is the "glue" they use to hold the wrapper in place. usually it is some kind of vegetable based product like pectin. You can buy some yourself for making repairs on your own cigars. Completely harmless.

F.y.i. jd50ae I know the difference between cap gum and oil. I smoke Hemmingway's and Fuente rollers are very liberal with the gum. Also, I do not buy cigars that need to be "repaired" nor would I put a foreign substance on them. That's exactly why I started this thread -- to NOT have extra stuff on my 'gars.

How lucky you have been to have no need for repairs. Not 1 in 11 years? WOW, that is amazing.

Now if your original post had included that you were "aware" that "cap gum" was used in the construction of cigars I would not have been so rude by mentioning it. But not knowing your level of expertise it was easy to think that maybe you weren't "aware" and my foolish attempt to help out would not have been made. Jeez, I hope I didn't misspell anything.

Bless your little heart.
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    Well put. But where's the accountability?

Accountability?

Well to be honest it is with you and everyone who smokes cigars. You buy them, you smoke them and you promote them. Why you even have a blog about them (one). You know this would be a great opportunity for a "journalist" to trek on down to South America and do an in depth, with photos, study and write an expose on the subject. Just think of all the grateful people for writing such a story. I know I would be on pins and needles. I hope I didn't misspell anything.....with a spelling nanny in residence its scary.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Do you always pick fights with people who are trying to have an honest conversation about holding a billion dollar industry personally accountable ? Or is it just this one? ;)

I don't need you to condescend to me and describe what "gum" is on a cigar cap. Younger smokers are sick of being talked down to by the older generation. I get the same attitude every time I walk into a B & M here, even though I could probably name the origin of every cigar in the house.

I was talking about dye. Not gum. So, you've misread and given useless information. A+.

As per your inquiry about a South American journalistic endeavor, I would happily acquiesce, provided, of course, you fund the trip. Make room on the fridge for postcards! Where to first? Jalapa? Esteli? Ecuador? I'm so excited.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    Do you always pick fights with people who are trying to have an honest conversation about holding a billion dollar industry personally accountable ? Or is it just this one? ;)

I don't need you to condescend to me and describe what "gum" is on a cigar cap. Younger smokers are sick of being talked down to by the older generation. I get the same attitude every time I walk into a B & M here, even though I could probably name the origin of every cigar in the house.

I was talking about dye. Not gum. So, you've misread and given useless information. A+.

As per your inquiry about a South American journalistic endeavor, I would happily acquiesce, provided, of course, you fund the trip. Make room on the fridge for postcards! Where to first? Jalapa? Esteli? Ecuador? I'm so excited.

Calm down now....no one is picking a fight....just replying to your rude answers. And I don't remember anyone but you bringing up your age.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM to youngryan216
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    i have done that trip

i did not visit RP, but as i said before, there were bowls of water that were dark in color at all the maduro rolling tables for the rollers to wet the leaf. it is just water and it changes color with use. yes it imparts a color but it is not an active dye.
    accountability? none needed. its all natural. i have seen it first hand.

seriously. Mountains of molehills. i cant tell you what to freak out about, but i can tell you that this is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to the cigar industry.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    youngryan216:
    i have done that trip

i did not visit RP, but as i said before, there were bowls of water that were dark in color at all the maduro rolling tables for the rollers to wet the leaf. it is just water and it changes color with use. yes it imparts a color but it is not an active dye.
    accountability? none needed. its all natural. i have seen it first hand.

seriously. Mountains of molehills. i cant tell you what to freak out about, but i can tell you that this is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to the cigar industry.
    Having seen a lot of the process and manufacturing, what's your biggest worry?

Kind of related... when you do the factory tours and such, are they pretty controlled? For example, you only see exactly what they want you to see? Or is it kind of an open, genuine experience in that you really get to see everything that goes into cigar production? Hope that makes sense.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

You mad bro?
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    youngryan216:

You mad bro?
    Hi there Threadjacker ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I was thread jakckng as on OG, before it was an alias!
  • Options
    Right back at you Mr.Luken.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

n Number 1. You refer to yorself as young in your name. Take the youth chip off your shoulder. Number 2 You are cocerned about additives to your tobacco leaf. You should really be concerned about additives to your food. Number 3. You remind me of an intelctual not an enthusiast. There is a big difference. If you want to question the integrity of what you are smoking then get a job inspecting the product. Believe me cigar companies are looking for indviduals as yourself that are young, obsevant and willing to point out there mistakes. Or just continue to smoke natural wrapped cigars and you will not have anything to worry about. And excuse for any misspelling as I am typing (shows my age) this on a piece of *** Balackbeery without spell check. Shows my dependence on spell-check and not learning to spell the damn word correctly in the first place.
  • Options
    How about we all just cool our heels a bit and smoke a d@mned cigar. I'm younger than most everyone on this forum, but I earned my place and respect here by GIVING respect first. So how about we all just take a step back and enjoy our additive free cigars ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Right on Irishman. Having a Reserva Real Toro tonight. What you fellas smoking tonight?

• Options
    I'm sacrileges.... Marlboro Special Blend Red Label. Tomorrow's the last day of cigs though then I'm done for life.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    I'm sacrileges.... Marlboro Special Blend Red Label. Tomorrow's the last day of cigs though then I'm done for life.
    I had a Newport yesterday. The struggle is real.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:

nothing major. its a pretty straight forward process.

im more worried about the push to shun tobacco than i am about how cigars are manufactured.
    Gray4lines:
    Kind of related... when you do the factory tours and such, are they pretty controlled? For example, you only see exactly what they want you to see? Or is it kind of an open, genuine experience in that you really get to see everything that goes into cigar production? Hope that makes sense.
    its fairly open. there were never doors that we couldnt walk through. in fact, there were almost never closed doors. mostly open rooms and an explanation of the process. the only place that felt restricted was Padron. they just didnt want people walking up and bothering employees. they still showed us everything we wanted to see an answered every question.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this post sure took a left turn somewhere.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:

nothing major. its a pretty straight forward process.

im more worried about the push to shun tobacco than i am about how cigars are manufactured.
    Gray4lines:
    its fairly open. there were never doors that we couldnt walk through. in fact, there were almost never closed doors. mostly open rooms and an explanation of the process. the only place that felt restricted was Padron. they just didnt want people walking up and bothering employees. they still showed us everything we wanted to see an answered every question.
    I am glad the tours are very open... That sounds really fun. I have a lot of respect for the padron family. I've only read about them, but seems like they really care about making great cigars. They've done a lot of good stuff other than cigars too. There was a neat article in the most recent CA. A lot of families in the cigar biz seem that way... Just good people. "Accountability" keeps being brought up. Reputation is one, love of cigars, and morals are a couple of others. You don't always need a government regulation to keep businesses from cheating you. As Kuz mentioned, the pushback against tobacco is enough to make a cigar manufacturer clean up his act if he hadn't already. As a cigar maker, why would you engage in dubious practices only to make a quick buck when the consequences are huge and would only give the govt more room to step in?

In the current regulatory environment and with public opinion of tobacco so negative, cigar makers want to be ambassadors for their product and the industry, not cheat the consumer with substandard product.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Brett, good to see you around. If you need cigars to smoke instead of gross cigarettes, let me know. ;)
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Brother, ween off.... if you like red label special blend. you need.

Five bros Pipe Tobacco
    Beretta Premium 100 tubes
    Top Cig Injector.
    You would swear it was the same thing, minus the destructive DAP the sets the nicotine like crack. Taste amazing, and you will feel ease in the struggle. Has been working on my 2 pack a day Marlboro Red smoking wife.

Try It.. Quit....
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Brett, good to see you around. If you need cigars to smoke instead of gross cigarettes, let me know. ;)
    lol thanks Gray I've got plenty of smokes and wrapping up my last pack ever today. Money is tight enough and I've already cut out liquor from my budget and very other luxury except cigs but I need to save even more so I can give the family a great Xmas since Cael will be old enough to really enjoy and play this one. We are getting him an aluminum belly racer push car for Xmas this year, like a miniature salt flats racer that he can ride and push along :) And quitting smoking will save us nearly $300 a month.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    lol thanks Gray I've got plenty of smokes and wrapping up my last pack ever today. Money is tight enough and I've already cut out liquor from my budget and very other luxury except cigs but I need to save even more so I can give the family a great Xmas since Cael will be old enough to really enjoy and play this one. We are getting him an aluminum belly racer push car for Xmas this year, like a miniature salt flats racer that he can ride and push along :) And quitting smoking will save us nearly $300 a month.
    if you quit smoking let me know how you did it!! I've tried many a time and just turn into a @sshole and everyone around me says just get a pack lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    if you quit smoking let me know how you did it!! I've tried many a time and just turn into a @sshole and everyone around me says just get a pack lol
    For me it's going to be remembering that I am doing this to make my wife and sons Xmas special. Only way I could so it is for my family.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:

I was a pack and a half a day when I came back to cigars. I was up to 4 or 5 cigars a day when I noticed I had not had a cigaret in weeks (the un-opened packs still sit in my drawer). I am down to 2-4 cigars a day at present. Once I figured out what cigars I preferred it was easier to cut back and I am shooting for 2-3 a day. But I am not going to force the number. It will be a year in November.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:

I was a pack and a half a day when I came back to cigars. I was up to 4 or 5 cigars a day when I noticed I had not had a cigaret in weeks (the un-opened packs still sit in my drawer). I am down to 2-4 cigars a day at present. Once I figured out what cigars I preferred it was easier to cut back and I am shooting for 2-3 a day. But I am not going to force the number. It will be a year in November.
    yeah guess my problem is work...all the guys smoke cigs and most people don't like the strong odor of cigars
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Never was a cigarette smoker, but you are a good man for sacrificing for your family Irishman. I'm having a CAO Black tonight ( first one was plugged ughhhhhh ).

Cigars have always been so good to me, and when I started this thread I was rather worried that some of my sticks MAY have been messed with cosmetically. Thanks to everyone who helped me find perspective on what other consumers feel about about this issue!