Home General Discussion
Options

Accuracy of Heartfelt Beads

I decided to go ahead and get the 65% heartfelt beads for my 150ct Daniel Marshall humidor. First off, dealing with heartfelt industries is a nightmare. They have horrible customer service and it took them over two weeks to ship my beads. I ordered a nylon mesh bag to put the beads in as I ordered a half pound, which is more than enough for my humidor. I used the Boveda 84% seasoning packets to season the humidor for the recommended 14 days. After the 14 days, I put in the heartfelt beads without charging them. I figured it was best to put them in as they came so they could absorb excess moisture. After roughly a week with just the heartfelt beads in the humidor, I decided to put sticks in to help get the hygrometer down to 65%. Even with the cigars inside the humidor and twice using a hair dryer on the beads on the air only setting, the humidity hasn't budged much from 69%. It's frustrating because I feel that 69% is way too high and my cigars don't smoke well at this humidity. My hygrometer is properly calibrated so I know it's accurate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Does it just take awhile to get the humidity to the specified bead level? I'm starting to think they sent me 70% beads as opposed to 65%.

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off did you order while they were closed? I know they were shut down for a week or two and it was all over their site. I would take the beads out and let the humidity naturally drop with no humidification device in it. Then when you get down to the 65% put the beads back in and see what happens.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Man sorry to hear this Brother,
    I ordered 4 lbs of 65's and had them in 5 days, All I did when I got them was to break it up into 8 separate 1/2 lb sets and put into nylon stockings and then throw them all in a bowl of distilled water for a few minutes, then took them out and let drain for a few seconds to remove excess water then throw them all on top of little trays throughout the wine coolers
    They bring the coolers to between 68-70 for a few hours but start going back to settle between 64-66 constant by the next morning every time, Maybe because I'm using wineadors (that are made from plastic) and not "wood" made humidors ???
    The only other thing I do now (didn't do it for the first month) is I also added a few Boveda 65 packs in each one because I had quite a few in the other old wood humidors and didn't want to let them go to waste and they stay right at 1/2 to 3/4 full at all times over the almost 7 months now
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    First off did you order while they were closed? I know they were shut down for a week or two and it was all over their site. I would take the beads out and let the humidity naturally drop with no humidification device in it. Then when you get down to the 65% put the beads back in and see what happens.

I made the mistake of putting my heartfelt sticks in with my humidifiers and tried to bring the level down slowly as opposed to a massive percentage drop. This did not work. Like he said, pull out all humidification and let your levels drop. Once it's where it should be toss in the beads. I let my sticks dry out a bit till it was maybe 1/4-1/3 saturated beads in both sticks. It seems to be working great! Don't let it discourage you... These beads are pretty awesome from what I've used so far. Let us know how the process goes and try not to hold a grudge on Heartfelt. Could have been tht they were closed for a while or maybe a shipping issue... Who knows. Stupid things happen all the time. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    avengethis:

I made the mistake of putting my heartfelt sticks in with my humidifiers and tried to bring the level down slowly as opposed to a massive percentage drop. This did not work. Like he said, pull out all humidification and let your levels drop. Once it's where it should be toss in the beads. I let my sticks dry out a bit till it was maybe 1/4-1/3 saturated beads in both sticks. It seems to be working great! Don't let it discourage you... These beads are pretty awesome from what I've used so far. Let us know how the process goes and try not to hold a grudge on Heartfelt. Could have been tht they were closed for a while or maybe a shipping issue... Who knows. Stupid things happen all the time. :)
    I have beads in my cooler and my humi. The humi has taken some time to balance out as it has been at 70% humidity for 4-5 years. It was a slow process but it is now rock solid every time I crack it open. The cooler is exactly the same way.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White