Home General Discussion
Options

Will Work For Cigars

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't normaly build furniture but an old friend asked me to make a coffee table for her. The friend is named Sam and we have known each other for almost ten years. Sam bought the wood, worm spalted hard maple and gave me a rough sketch. I usually try and get $35 an hour for studio time but Sam has little money so we worked out a trade. For the 20 hours i spent putting this table together I get four cigars! My choice purchased at a cigar store in Asheville. I'll meet Sam next week at the store and trade out the table for my stogies. I'm taking my wish list with me, I can't wait. image

Comments

• Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Nice.. I wish i had an artistic/crafting talent :/
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn that's a nice table. I wish you were near me I would make that trade in a heart beat. Well done!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an outstanding table, there's no way shes not going to be thrilled with it.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice table. Try your hand at some humis. You could make a mint. You have a talent.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    Very nice table. Try your hand at some humis. You could make a mint. You have a talent.
    Just what I was thinking
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man that is a nice looking piece of furniture. I would trade in a heartbeat
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I have always know that wood as Ambrosia Maple cause the beetle/worm that causes the dark streaks is the Ambrosia Beetle. Either way great looking table and a heck of a deal you offered her
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He11, Ill give you five cigars for that.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    AshMe:
    Nice.. I wish i had an artistic/crafting talent :/
    I taught woodturning workshops for many years. Everyone has creative energy, you just haven't found the outlet for it yet. Keep looking
  • Options
    webmost:

Only if youre a 66 year old woman named Sam and still a babe.
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    webmost:

If you squint your eyes enough in just the right light I can be anything you want me to be. But now we know what the real payment is. Good thing it looks like a real sturdy table
  • Options
    Just checked out your web site, good looking stuff!
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    webmost:

now it makes sense. Nice work though
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, she will love it. Now you made that in 20 hours from wood, I think that's amazing. I would be missing fingers.
  • Options
    e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    You do great work, that table is awesome.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    Very nice, I have always know that wood as Ambrosia Maple cause the beetle/worm that causes the dark streaks is the Ambrosia Beetle. Either way great looking table and a heck of a deal you offered her
    FireRob, the word Ambrosia got tacked to that spalted maple about twenty years ago. 30 years ago when I first ran accross it while turning decorative bowls we called it worm spalted. Ambrosia sure sounds better than worm though. It's pretty high dollar wood now. Thanks for the nice words about my work.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    matkn293:
    Just what I was thinking
    +1
    Very nice table, bet you could make a fantastic humi.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many cigars for you to make me a cabinet humidor? That is a nice looking table, good job!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Years ago after working in a cabinet shop for two years I decided that I didn't want to be a cabinet or furniture builder. I felt more at ease standing at a lathe or spending all day with a mallet and a gouge working with wood right out of the log. I sold my planner, jointer, router,etc. I kept a big bandsaw, drill press, 6x48 sander, hand power tools, and at that time four lathes of various sizes. If I started making humidors I would have to buy back all the tools I sold years ago. Having said that who knows, maybe I might add humidors on to my bucket list.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Great job! Looks well made.:)
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    Years ago after working in a cabinet shop for two years I decided that I didn't want to be a cabinet or furniture builder. I felt more at ease standing at a lathe or spending all day with a mallet and a gouge working with wood right out of the log. I sold my planner, jointer, router,etc. I kept a big bandsaw, drill press, 6x48 sander, hand power tools, and at that time four lathes of various sizes. If I started making humidors I would have to buy back all the tools I sold years ago. Having said that who knows, maybe I might add humidors on to my bucket list.
    I can't imagine the work that goes into a quality cabinet (or even desktop) humidor.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work!! True craftsmanship, I enjoyed your work. Please if you ever run across one of my bird houses...
  • Options
    Bigshizza, I saw your birdhouses in a post. Great idea and now I have about four cigar box birdhouses to be sitting on my bench. Got to help the critters when we can.
  • Options
    Thought i'd post how my work for cigars trade came out. I met the lady I made the table for last Tuesday. We were supposed to meet at a B&M in Asheville at 2:00PM after an appointment I had at the VA. Sam, the lady, is kind of a space cadet so I emailed her the address three times. Ten minutes after 2 I called her and she was waiting at another B&M on the same road. She finally got there and loved the table. I asked how much she spent on the wood and she said $140. Sam has very little money and she works as kind of a new age healer working with crystals and massage. Some other men I know and me donated, cut, split,and delivered her winters firewood last month. She is a gentle soul and lives solo so when I found out how much money she spent on the wood for the table I didn't have the heart to charge her four cigars, I settled for these two.image
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a damn good pair right there! Enjoy Rodger knowing you helped a friend in need.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good on you ole boy.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice indeed brother!!lnice to see people being so thoughtful and putting others first.good on you and your freinds.
    no matter where you go, there you are.