Home Cigar 101

Dry cigars

I wanted to give my boyfriend a couple of cigars for his birthday but know nothing about cigars. He's really big into them. I asked my dad and he ended up getting a couple from a guy he works with. Problem is he decided to leave them in his truck...for three weeks. Are they ruined? Should I give them to my boyfriend anyway or will they be too hard to bring back to life?

Comments

• AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    I have a box of Flor de Selva cigars from Nicaragua that were left on a shelf for 3 years. They were literately hard as a rock when a co-worker gave them to me when he found out I was into cigars. They were lifeless and smell-less. They have spent a month in the humidor and they are now smelling so delicious and are passing the pinch test. Cant wait to smoke one. Maybe in a week I'll try them out. So, to answer your question, I dont think 3 weeks is enough to seriously damage a cigar beyond repair, but they are definitely not smokeable in their current condition. Your boyfriend will need to give them some humi TLC and I think they will be fine in a few weeks.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
    P.S. Welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around and bring us your boyfriend questions.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO if he's into cigars they are a lost cause!! If he doesn't know any better well that's up too you. Once a cigar has been out for that long it's going to take too much teouble to get it back to where it would have just been ok
    Money can't buy taste
  • UnawareUnaware Posts: 2
    Thank you so much!! I really know nothing and obviously don't want to ask him too many questions if it's something I'm trying to add as his gift! Just didn't want to give him them if they're junk and he throw them out (when I'm not looking)!
    Lee.mcglynn:
    IMO if he's into cigars they are a lost cause!! If he doesn't know any better well that's up too you. Once a cigar has been out for that long it's going to take too much teouble to get it back to where it would have just been ok
    Really? I mean, will 3 weeks be enough to make a cigar a lost cause? I know cigars need to be humidified and all, but I just can't picture a cigar kicking the bucket in just 3 weeks. I'm going to try my 3 y/o cigars tonight then, and give my opinion. And I didn't go through much trouble. Just put them in my tupperdor, box and all, at 69% RH.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Ash, your fighting a loosing battle. I tried once cause I have the same thoughts as you. Someone who was concerned the same as the OP. Asked how to revive his cigars and most told him to just trash them. Gave my opinion on what to do to try to see if they could be saved and if he wasn't interested in trying that before he trash's them I offered to compensate him for his cigars if he would let me try to save them.

I had some cigars from my previous smoking days that mostly sat neglected for several years (on occasion when I thought about it I added distilled water) Last year I spent a couple months careing for them and I got to say a couple were worth the effort and I got some enjoyment from them, others were not worth it but the few that were, I was glad I did it.

Point being, the consensus on here will be, it's a lost cause. It even led to a heck of an argument between me and another member. (still think that guy is a D-bag and he still refuses to acknowledge me on here)(but Id actually bet if and when he sees this he will say something)
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Since we all know it's summer and putting cigars inside your truck for 3 weeks means....they're dead. The temps inside any car go up big time so that means they were almost cooking which means even more heat which is going to extract whatever moisture/humidity that they had. Bite the bullet and get him some more cigars as there are some great ones that won't cost an arm or a leg.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not offer them as a gift. Three weeks in a baggie is not that big of a deal but three weeks in a vehicle?........ where the temps can be very high, then very low, then very high, and it goes on like that for three weeks? These cigars need to be on life support for months. Maybe if you took your time they could be salvaged and, at some point, smoked, but they are damaged in my opinion and will never be as good as they once were. Not good as gifts anymore. But as a restoration project? I'd say go for it. In fact this might be a nice restoration experiment for your boyfriend to try. You could buy him the same cigars as a replacement and in a few months when he thinks the damaged ones are ready, he can smoke them side by side to taste exactly what three weeks in a car during August will do to a cigar. Who knows. Maybe it won't be that bad. But, my guess is it will be pretty bad.