Home General Discussion
Options

Humidification during Shipment and Storage

This is not another post relative to proper humidification of our collections, I am well beyond that as most of you are as well.

My question is relative to the humidification, or lack thereof for the cigars as they are shipped from the factories to the warehouses, then to the distributors. I would imagine this process could take weeks if not longer with the various levels of wholesale and retail entities.

Does anyone know if the same care that we take as serious consumers is also practiced in any way in the handling prior to our possession. My guess is no, at least not until the box hits the retailer such as C.C,

Also does anyone have any idea how long the voyage from the factory to the retailer might take?

I always rest my purchases for months properly humidified, but I have smoked some quickly after delivery and have had many problems.

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking it usually takes a week to get to us. Usually the cigars will ship to the states where some companies have wharehouse's then ships to the supplier. Most places down south have enough humidity already so it's not a problem at all really the cigars only go about 3 days without humidification but since they are sealed there is not much of a drop in rh if any...some will say since the south is overly humid they will arrive even better
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PWK:
    Does anyone know if the same care that we take as serious consumers is also practiced in any way in the handling prior to our possession. My guess is no, at least not until the box hits the retailer such as C.C,
    I tend to assume the opposite. I assume that all along the supply chain, great care has been taken with keeping the brown leaf we love so much properly humidified. Take cigar.com (ccom) for example. They are "downstream" from the factory. Their warehouse is properly humidified. Additionally, I would assume that at each stop along the supply chain, that involves long term storage, great care is given to humidification. I would also assume that during transit from countries of origin that large quantities of cigars and or tobacco, are shrink wrapped or otherwise prepared/protected in some fashion intended to preserve the proper humidity during transit.