Home Non Cigar Related

PORTLAND METRO AREA BOTL - need help. Bad.

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I woke up to the gas cap hanging off my car yesterday. Tonight our neighbors dog was barking for 45 minutes. We called the cops about the dog. The cops came out and right after they left a man ran out from behind my car and took off on a bike. Someone was trying to get into our house tonight. I need to find somewhere to live ASAP. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN! My family is at risk.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I got a couch man. Seriously though, praying for ya man. Thats crazy.
    One God, One Truth
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    I got a couch man. Seriously though, praying for ya man. Thats crazy.

thanks man... But Arkansas is a bit outta the way. ;)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. I hate that you are not in a safe place. That really sucks. People suck.
    Our house is goin on the market this week. We bought into it with a crap ton of equity so we shouldn't have many issues buying a new house when it sells. Just sucks cause it's my first house, I drained my retirement account to buy it and move in, we just put on a new roof and I'll lose my man cave. :(
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Our house is goin on the market this week. We bought into it with a crap ton of equity so we shouldn't have many issues buying a new house when it sells. Just sucks cause it's my first house, I drained my retirement account to buy it and move in, we just put on a new roof and I'll lose my man cave. :(
    Thought about a surveillance system? German Shepherd? Gun?
    We don't have the time to dedicate to a dog. :( working as much as we do it would be fair for the poor pooch... On top of having 4 cats already.... Lol I do have a gun in the house. I'm going I be teaching my daughter gun safety today. Since last night I have decided I will be sleeping in the living room on an air mattress with my trust 38 special until we feel comfortable again. I'm sure this was just a fluke incident. But it still is scary as crap to see a stranger emerge from the side of your house at 4am.
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Thought about a surveillance system? German Shepherd? Gun?
    ^^^ This. You shouldn't have to move if you don't want to or aren't ready. You would be amazed at how well a Rottweiler or a Shepherd will keep the rif-raf away. That, and they are great friends. We've got a Rottweiler and a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ lab mix. They are a fantastic alarm system and very protective.

A gun or 10 doesn't hurt either.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank God no one was hurt. Still an intrusion on your privacy and makes you feel violated, for lack of a better term. Dogs are good, always had one, but anything that makes noise will work and lighting too, motion sensors. You can get simple devices for windows and doors that will sound when opened. Generally lighting will scare them off before anyone gets hurt. Plus you will have an illuminated target making it easier to shoot between their feet, and they sh*t themselves sometimes too.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    where in pdx are you, do you want to stay in pdx, and if not, where. I know some peeps
    We are looking to stay in portland or milwaukie. We've started the house hunt already and are hoping something works out jn the process of selling this house
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks.
    South Dakota isn't a great place to live, but at least crime is low. I still keep my Glock loaded and ready though.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    We are looking to stay in portland or milwaukie. We've started the house hunt already and are hoping something works out jn the process of selling this house
    Milwaukee, WI?

Sorry to hear about the attempted intrusion. I have had it happen to me as well. My wife never liked having guns outside of the safe in the basement until that happened. Now I keep a 12 gauge in my closet, 2 - .45 in a safe in my bedroom and a .38 hidden in a secret compartment in another closet in a different part of the house. I have started to work with my kids on gun safety as well. Youngest is 4 and oldest is 7. (not using real guns at this point except for getting the oldest behind a .22).
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Dont feel bad, June last year there was a break-in at my house... while my teenage daughter was home. Wasnt much i felt i could do....

it sucks... it makes you very paranoid!

Aj
    LiquidChaos66:
    Since you are already in the process, I assume you have a realtor. If not, I know one of the best in PDX and he's my personal guy that is just finishing up with my place. Let me know if you need any info and I'll get it to you.

What area of PDX do you want to stay in?
    We have a a lady that's worked with my family and my in laws that's going to help us sell our house. She was the one who convinced us to check this house out in the first place. I still love it here. I don't want to leave... it kills me that we are leaving this place. :( we might have a place lined up to buy already. My dad is looking to sell his house and it's on a quiet cul-de-sac in Milwaukie OREGON ;) lol nice big house and a great yard. Two car garage too! But we aren't sure if that's what we wanna do yet.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang Chris, sorry to hear that. That really rattles ya up and takes away your sense of safety. Motion lights, security alarm, dog, and self defense are all good to have but still may not give you peace of mind after an experience like that. Similar thing happened to us a few places ago when we lived downtown....lived at the end of a short street & in about a 2 weeks span all the houses on our street were broken into except ours and 1 other. We're pretty sure the dog scared them off......but one afternoon was working from home sitting outside and guy gets about 3/4 over our back fence (probably trying to case the house) when I call him out and say wtf are you doing get out of here. Called cops they followed him but said they couldn't do anything. Cop told me "you can take the rat out of the hood but you can't take the hood out of the rat" figured it was some type of gang initiation "steal x amount of Tvs in a night, etc"....needless to say we moved soon after

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Milwaukie is a good place to live from all that I've heard. I have friends that live there. I used to work on SW Macadam right across the Sellwood Bridge so the Sellwood Area is my fav but damn, those places are expensive and Milwaukie is right down the road. I was there last night for my Masonic Lodge meeting and the more I drive through there, the more areas I see that I would live in.
    Best of luck with all of this craziness.
    I love that entire area. Closer to the river things get better and all the old homes there... Just beautiful neighborhoods. Thanks for te best wishes and support! I'm a lucky guy to be in such a great community of BOTL. :) realtor comes to our place tomorrow for photos and appraisal so hope all goes well. :)
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    A friend from grad school is selling her house in Milwaukie, I'll try and track down the info. I've never been to her house so I can't vouch for any of it, but hey, it's what I know of at the moment. :)
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    A friend from grad school is selling her house in Milwaukie, I'll try and track down the info. I've never been to her house so I can't vouch for any of it, but hey, it's what I know of at the moment. :)
    Perkinke, total side note, but I never noticed your sig before. You're obviously a man of good taste and intelligence if you like Christopher Moore. Have you read his latest "Fool" book, The Serpent of Venice? To me, it's much better than Fool.

Sorry to hijack this Liquid. We can discuss in PM or somewhere else. :)
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    PM to ya Raisin.

Chris, you looking to stay within the near metro area? I have a buddy who lives out in Forest Grove and loves it, he grew up in Portland but says he likes it better out there. Your commute would be a mess though.
    Yeah we need to stay in portland or as close as possible. Mostly constrained to specific areas cause of my daughters kindergarten.