Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Zippos

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Whats your favorite Zippo lighter look like? Been thinking about getting one.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got the Zippo "Blu" torch, the first one they made, I think. Gave me a lot of problems at first, but once I got it figured out, it's my daily lighter.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    My zippo is the classic chrome with my initials etched into it in old English. :) I'm gonna be getting a butane insert for it so I can use it with my stogies! :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be sure everyone knows this,.........Old style "lighter fluid' zippos will taint your cigars. But the good news is you can get a butane insert for your zippo that someone gifted you with engraving or grandpa's old zippo. Gotta have a butane insert.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thats cool. Does the Blu and the insert do the same thing? How do you refill an insert?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    The Blu is butane right out of the box, fills on the bottom, window on the side, uses flints like a standard Zippo.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best I can tell the zippo blu is a zippo made lighter and comes as butane and would not be interchangeable with a traditional zippo. And as far as I know the inserts are sold separately by non-zippo aftermarket producers. zplus is one you can get for about 10 bucks. They have reviews online. I'll post links.

http://www.elighters.com/zplus.html

• Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    My Peterson Zippo set that came with a Peterson pipe and Zippo lighter

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    My old man used a Zippo for his pipe and cigars. I used one for cigarettes for a long time, fuel type. Got this one with camel-bucks, got a bunch of them somewhere. Never used them, this one still has the seal on it.

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that have gone to a butane insert...Are they all torch inserts or can you get a butane soft/natural flame?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    I've been wanting to get a Zippo BLU but I heard they have poor craftsmanship compared to the regular line. Can anyone give their 2 cents?
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    AshMe:
    I've been wanting to get a Zippo BLU but I heard they have poor craftsmanship compared to the regular line. Can anyone give their 2 cents?
    You may have noticed my remarks above, specifically "...gave me a lot of problems...".

Until I got it figured out, I was about ready to send it back and demand a refund. It's a combination of things, or was for me, firstly, you have to fire it up correctly. You press the flint wheel down, then the trigger button, then spin the wheel for spark. If you have sufficient fuel, it'll put out a flame about an inch long. Your best bet is to finish toasting with this flame, and not on-and-off. It's kind of like knowing how to kick start a '67 Triumph 650. Follow the rules, and you'll start on the first or second kick. Don't follow the rules, and you're on your new weight loss program.

The other thing was that I think there's some kind of contaminant in the tank. It would spit and sputter, light or not light. Tried several kinds of butanes, same results. Finally, I took it up to the shop, purged it, tied the trigger open with rubber bands, filled the needle of my blow-gun with nitro solvent, a few drops of the same onto the torch-tip, and blew it through with about 40 PSI. Since that time, it's become my favorite of about 4 different torches.

Should I have had to do all that? No! But, I'm a stubborn SOB, and I did, and it does, and I'm OK with that.

Regarding this experiment outlined above, I'd admonish all; "Kids, don't try this at home without an adult lunatic present."

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zippo is having a 25% off sale.
    If you use this code: MM8FH44YBGJG you can get free shipping with a $35 order.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭

All zippo inserts plus one alternate brand.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.