Home General Discussion
Options

Is This Normal?

I went to put more distiled water into my jar and i found what looks like to me Brownish mold growing in it. Now this is jar is only about 3 months old and its name is DR. PH which is made by the Alec Bradley CO. This is my first time seeing this so i will ask the forum is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda difficult to tell but it's either mold or turning color thanks to the tobacco. If a piece or fragment of of tobacco fell into it that could happen. I'd wait for some others to chime in though.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you wait a few more weeks it will look like this. cool right?
    photo 506AF148-orig.jpg
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop showing us your urine. You Freak!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wow... my Xikar jars are a year old and clear as the day i got them.

are you using Xikar PG solution? Distilled water?

wood or plastic boxes?
    any mold issues anywhere else?
    any odors?
    what method are you using when charging them?
  • Options
    Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    kuzi16:
    wow... my Xikar jars are a year old and clear as the day i got them.

are you using Xikar PG solution? Distilled water?

wood or plastic boxes?
    any mold issues anywhere else?
    any odors?
    what method are you using when charging them?
    Distilled water,
    Wood,
    No mold that i can see.
    i just pour distilled water when when the beads gets below a certain line.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think Frankie peed in it, but look up the thread from DZR. There was an article mentioned where they acknowledged the problem in manufacturing.
  • Options
    anyone else have a wood humi that is changing the color of their jars?
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Kinda difficult to tell but it's either mold or turning color thanks to the tobacco. If a piece or fragment of of tobacco fell into it that could happen. I'd wait for some others to chime in though.
    I beleive that a piece of tobacco is what might have happened. i was shaking the jar to get a closer look at the blackish beads and saw a piece of tobacco the size of a thick eyelash.

this might be due to the jar being on the bottom of my humidor and the tray with cigars above it.
  • Options
    This was the quote DZR posted in the other thread.

" XIKAR has a lifetime warranty on all products including the 4oz crystal jar you purchased. The brown discoloration is not mold. Late last year, we received a bad batch of crystals, we conducted an analysis of the crystals, and with the help of the manufacturer, we came to the conclusion the crystals were burnt in the process. XIKAR has made a change in sourcing and you should not see any future problems with XIKAR humidification products. You can return the crystal jar to your local retailer or send it to XIKAR for a replacement. Always use XIKAR PG Solution to regulate 70% RH. We aplogoze for the inconvenience and thank you for the business"
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I use xikar gels of various sizes in my humis and I'm pretty sure you have to use their solution exclusively. They don't usually take kindly to distilled water is what I have been told.

Maybe make the switch to PG solution only and see if it still happens. But, I'll bet it won't.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Yeah but this is a different product it is made by Alec Brandley not XIKAR but i will bring this by the shop and ask what they can do.
  • Options
    Beaker38:
    Yeah but this is a different product it is made by Alec Brandley not XIKAR but i will bring this by the shop and ask what they can do.
    true but a lot of those things are produced in the same factory and branded out.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Beaker38:
    true but a lot of those things are produced in the same factory and branded out.
    true but the directions say i have had to have used the solution and not distilled water but than again the place i got it from told me to i could use distilled water. i got some humi-sticks a couple months ago so i guess i will use them if this doesn't work out. I will stop by the shop tomorrow and ask them. for now i just filled it up and put it back in the humidor just for the night. i have also noticed the RH is kinda funky lately (up and down a couple percent).
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:

" XIKAR has a lifetime warranty on all products including the 4oz crystal jar you purchased. The brown discoloration is not mold. Late last year, we received a bad batch of crystals, we conducted an analysis of the crystals, and with the help of the manufacturer, we came to the conclusion the crystals were burnt in the process. XIKAR has made a change in sourcing and you should not see any future problems with XIKAR humidification products. You can return the crystal jar to your local retailer or send it to XIKAR for a replacement. Always use XIKAR PG Solution to regulate 70% RH. We aplogoze for the inconvenience and thank you for the business"
    Thanks for doing all the work Shermzies lol.

I noticed mine changed in color the day after R. Kelly came over for a herf ..... weird
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    rsherman24:

Thanks for doing all the work Shermzies lol.

I noticed mine changed in color the day after R. Kelly came over for a herf ..... weird

I was waiting for you Bro. They started down the road of wood and tobacco so had to step in
  • Options
    Went to the shop i had bought the jar from and got a new one. the guy at the cashier said that they had a recall back in June. Thanks everyone for your help.