Home General Discussion
Options

Running out of room ... solution!

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
A gentleman at a BnM smoking cigarettes told me that you can store cigars in your refrigerator just the same. "Cool" right? Problem solved!
photo AB391225-orig.jpg
"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know. Can't imagine having that problem, but if I ever do, the wife will have to surrender a crisper drawer!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually thought about putting my humidors in my fridge this summer so I didn't have to run the AC so much. Never actually did it though.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daniel. You are a mischievous child.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    U like angry orchard huh?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    After seeing this I decided to look up some info as I used to be a cigarette smoker in the past and would keep my cartons in the fridge.....
    I found that every site I look up for this says this is NOT a good idea
    Listed the side addy with the fridge excerpt from it ...

Where not to store your cigars'
    In the Refrigerator – We’re not sure who came up with the bright idea to put your cigars in the fridge, but he must have been on a bender or something. We can’t imagine a worse place to store your cigars. What kind of environment does a cigar want? Hot and humid. What’s it like in the refrigerator? Cold and dry. We think this is just an extension of the urban myth that refrigerators can keep anything fresh. Not so for stogies.

How to store cigars
    Q: Can I store my cigars in my refrigerator?
    A: No, as they will dry out quickly. This used to be common and sound advice, but it no longer holds true because almost all of today's refrigerators actually dehydrate their interiors to prevent condensation from forming on their exteriors. However, an old refrigerator or freezer that you leave unplugged can make an excellent large alternative storage device for cigars.

Can you store cigars in a refrigerator?
    A: Short answer: NO.
    Here’s why…
    A refrigerator, though it would seem like a logical place to keep your cigars, has a very low relative humidity. It’s usually somewhere around 42% RH, which is much lower than the 65% – 70% RH required for keeping your cigars moist. In other words, it won’t take long before your precious cigars are as dried-out as beef jerky.

Whats the best way to keep cigars fresh
    Storage - Myths and miscellanous
    There are a lot of myths and miscellaneous information regarding cigar storage. Here are some of the major ones.
    It’s OK to store cigars in the refrigerator/freezer: despite the large number of people who swear they’ve heard this somewhere, no expert tobacconist has EVER advocated this as a long-term storage solution. Remember, refrigerators keep food from growing mould by whisking moisture AWAY from them – the exact opposite of what cigars need to stay fresh. While a fridge has more moisture than the average room, you shouldn’t store cigars in them for more than a few days at most.

Should I store cigars in the refrigerator?
    Cigars are hygroscopic, meaning they take up and retain moisture under certain conditions of humidity and temperature. Vegetables are hygroscopic too. Any vegetable you place in the refrigerator will dehydrate and wilt after time. A frost-free model must heat itself up in order to defrost--in the process foods dehydrate. Wouldn’t the same happen to cigars? When cigars dry out, they lose essential oils that give them their characteristic flavor. Just like that stale cheese that has been in your refrigerator for 3 weeks, your cigars will probably not be tasty after doing time in the fridge.

I could go on listing Many Many more, but think this is more then enough for me not to do it myself
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    This is an idea that's been around for quite a long time and putting your cigars into a running fridge is not a good idea as it will do what the above post says. Hopefully you have taken them out before all of the RH has been sucked out of the cigars. Conversely I have seen people take a non running refrigerator and store cigars in there because of the great seal it provides...they put in their media of choice and as long as the temps don't go over 70 degrees it makes for a good storage idea.
  • Options
    Ok I'll take them out. Not till tomorrow morning though.

Angry Orchard = barf
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    What is the RH in a freezer?
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I didn't do it. I was going to research it and just never did.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigars right out of the fridge are more refreshing on a hot day.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    see! ^^^
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:

And they bring your humi temp down if it gets a little warm. Multitask.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Gray4lines:

Absolutely, and no beetles!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Just get a new cooler
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    rsherman24:
    Gray4lines:

I like you Gray. You understand me.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Gray4lines:
    rsherman24:
    Gray4lines:

Yikes!!!
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Gray4lines:
    rsherman24:
    Gray4lines:

DZR and Gray, leadin' the lovin'.
  • Options
    perkinke:
    danielzreyes:
    Gray4lines:
    rsherman24:
    Gray4lines:

DZR and Gray, leadin' the lovin'.
    I like my men like I like my cigars. #longandskinny