Home General Discussion
Options

Am I forever going to be lightheaded?

Its been over two months now since I started enjoying cigars, and there are weeks that went by where I smoked daily, even twice a day, and I am still getting lightheaded. Last night I smoked a 5 Vegas Classic robusto and I had to stop with two inches left because I got cold sweats and nauseous (Took me an hour to smoke the 3 inches so I wasn't going fast). All I can smoke are mild cigars. Will I ever be able to venture to the wild side?
"Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 

Comments

• Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you inhaling @ all?
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    ^^^No. I never smoked cigarettes so even a close whiff of the smoke coming off the tip will make me cough. Can the smoke in the air get you lightheaded? Does it contain nicotine?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    You might just be real sensitive. But slow down a bit, that helps. Eat enough, that helps. And stay away from 2 a day until you can handle 1 maybe.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    ^^^No. I never smoked cigarettes so even a close whiff of the smoke coming off the tip will make me cough. Can the smoke in the air get you lightheaded? Does it contain nicotine?
    Cigars certainly contain nicotine. And even if you're not inhaling, the nicotine is getting absorbed into your bloodstream through your mouth, nose and salivary glands. So, you are getting a nicotine "high," which is what the lightheadedness is all about.

If you're smoking too fast, you might want to slow down a bit. Also, you might want to have some food in your stomach or by well hydrated shortly before you smoke. Nicotine is like alcohol--it has a greater effect when your body is craving food or drink.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wear a heavier hat

... or else, count your blessings. Smoke meek and mild connies while you can still enjoy them, before your tongue turns to leather and your taste buds require a ten buck sixty gauge oily ebony peppery maduro just to feel alive.

Eat first, before you smoke.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbs. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. (P.S. No broccoli.)
  • Options
    1. Ate first...check (had sushi)
    2. Hydrated...check (I currently only smoke with water. I down 20oz of water during my session)
    I guess I'm still sensitive. I'll enjoy the milds while I can. I just dont want the OpusX Rick gave me to go bad! I wanna smoke that firecracker already! And I dont want to attempt it if I can't nub it!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    2. Hydrated...check (I currently only smoke with water. I down 20oz of water during my session)
    I guess I'm still sensitive. I'll enjoy the milds while I can. I just dont want the OpusX Rick gave me to go bad! I wanna smoke that firecracker already! And I dont want to attempt it if I can't nub it!
    IMHO and many others here the opus will only get better with age so it ain't going bad for many many years as in 8-10+ even I would venture to claim if not longer. Heavy amounts of carbs and have a snickers bar or something near you while smoking as well. Next time you start to notice it, before it gets bad snack on the snickers bar and that should help a lot too.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    AshMe:
    IMHO and many others here the opus will only get better with age so it ain't going bad for many many years as in 8-10+ even I would venture to claim if not longer. Heavy amounts of carbs and have a snickers bar or something near you while smoking as well. Next time you start to notice it, before it gets bad snack on the snickers bar and that should help a lot too.
    Snickers satisfies. Ok. I'll try it. Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    AshMe:
    90+ Irishman:
    AshMe:
    Shushi have a lot of carbs? I'm thinkin' no. But what do I know about sushi? I like it if the meat is battered and deep fried. What's that you say? That ain't real sushi? Well, in Mississippi they must not know any better.
  • Options
    ^^^ lol sushi has a lot of rice. So yes. It has carbs. They have deep fried sushi also. The Tempura Bagel Roll for example. One of my favorites.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skittles, snickers, hershey bar, m&m's are always stocked at my house if I get the light headed feeling. I agree with others though a nice big meal with heavy on the carbs will help.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    AshMe:
    ^^^ lol sushi has a lot of rice. So yes. It has carbs. They have deep fried sushi also. The Tempura Bagel Roll for example. One of my favorites.
    Oh yeah, forgot about the rice. And the roe! LOL,...... those little eggs. Do they have a roll they call Rice & Roe? They should. Hahaha.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Isn't that sashimi with the rice? Check me if I'm wrong. Sushi is bait; sashimi is bait and rice wrapped in kelp Anyways, eat..
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ^^^No. Sashimi is just the fish slices. Sushi has the rice. You have "old skool" sushi that used to be the ball of rice with a slice of sashimi on top, and you have the modern sushi rolls that are becoming works of art. But, the cuisine all falls under the "sushi" umbrella. When you order, you need to specify to the waiter if you want sashimi, old skool, the cylinder rolls, or the less common hand rolls that look like cones. Confusing, thats why most restaurants just want you to order by the item number on the menu.
  • Options
    UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    avengethis:
    Skittles, snickers, hershey bar, m&m's are always stocked at my house if I get the light headed feeling. I agree with others though a nice big meal with heavy on the carbs will help.
    This is bad. I do not need any more excuses to keep candy around my house. I've only ever gotten lightheaded once. When I smoked after doing cardio.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried smoking while drinking something other than water? Soda, bourbon, moonshine?
  • Options
    Soda would be a good choice due to the sugars I'd say...
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Unicorn:
    avengethis:
    This is bad. I do not need any more excuses to keep candy around my house. I've only ever gotten lightheaded once. When I smoked after doing cardio.
    Probably because after cardio your heart rate and blood pressure are still elevated which means you will likely absorb more nicotine, plus you also are adding in that endorphins rush on top of it I'd imagine.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    Have you tried smoking while drinking something other than water? Soda, bourbon, moonshine?
    No I have not. Don't think I can handle the double whammy of an alcoholic drink. I will try soda :)
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    AshMe:
    90+ Irishman:
    AshMe:
    Shushi have a lot of carbs? I'm thinkin' no. But what do I know about sushi? I like it if the meat is battered and deep fried. What's that you say? That ain't real sushi? Well, in Mississippi they must not know any better.

That is called Tempura Bob.

AshMe.....as a few have recommended, and I whole heartily agree, trade or sell your dark smokes. Habanos and Maduros have more of a nicotine rush then Connecticut or lighter colored cigars. Food is always good and coffee seems to make that morning cigar a much more pleasurable smoke. I have learned in the past 8 months or so to smoke a lot slower and the flavors and the cigar last a lot longer, I have even been able to use my nub stub which never happened before. The "darker" cigars I have I tend to keep longer and I will smoke one when there is plenty of time and I usually have some good scotch/rum/beer to go with it. IMHO of course.

Corrected part of this statement below.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    avengethis:
    Ooo, bad memories, I should have put this on the Noob mistakes thread. Don't celebrate a 5k with a cigar, ever.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    you guys dont inhale?

Aj
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    Bob Luken:
    AshMe:
    90+ Irishman:
    AshMe:

AshMe.....as a few have recommended, and I whole heartily agree, trade or sell your dark smokes. Habanas and Maduros have more of a nicotine rush then Connecticut or lighter colored cigars. Food is always good and coffee seems to make that morning cigar a much more pleasurable smoke. I have learned in the past 8 months or so to smoke a lot slower and the flavors and the cigar last a lot longer, I have even been able to use my nub stub which never happened before. The "darker" cigars I have I tend to keep longer and I will smoke one when there is plenty of time and I usually have some good scotch/rum/beer to go with it. IMHO of course.
    JD not to nitpick but I'm not sure I agree. I honestly do not remeber if darker cigars such as Maddies or Oscuros have more nicotine, what I do know is that the color of wrapper does not by default mean a stronger bodied cigar. Maduro means it goes through a minimum of 3 distinct fermentation cycles and an Oscuro is even more. I'm unaware if fermentation means more nicotine but I don't believe it does. Case in point I've had from the same vintage (2010) an Opus X BBMF Maduro and a BBMF natural and the natural was MUCH fuller bodied. Just my two cents, but would be very curious to hear from someone who can show with fact if more fermentation equates to more nicotine.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    [but would be very curious to hear from someone who can show with fact if more fermentation equates to more nicotine.
    It is my understanding Fermentation REDUCES nicotine by removing the excess sugars and dissapating the ammonia that is what gives the nicotine its hit.

Aj
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    jd50ae:
    Bob Luken:
    AshMe:
    90+ Irishman:
    AshMe:

AshMe.....as a few have recommended, and I whole heartily agree, trade or sell your dark smokes. Habanas and Maduros have more of a nicotine rush then Connecticut or lighter colored cigars. Food is always good and coffee seems to make that morning cigar a much more pleasurable smoke. I have learned in the past 8 months or so to smoke a lot slower and the flavors and the cigar last a lot longer, I have even been able to use my nub stub which never happened before. The "darker" cigars I have I tend to keep longer and I will smoke one when there is plenty of time and I usually have some good scotch/rum/beer to go with it. IMHO of course.
    JD not to nitpick but I'm not sure I agree. I honestly do not remeber if darker cigars such as Maddies or Oscuros have more nicotine, what I do know is that the color of wrapper does not by default mean a stronger bodied cigar. Maduro means it goes through a minimum of 3 distinct fermentation cycles and an Oscuro is even more. I'm unaware if fermentation means more nicotine but I don't believe it does. Case in point I've had from the same vintage (2010) an Opus X BBMF Maduro and a BBMF natural and the natural was MUCH fuller bodied. Just my two cents, but would be very curious to hear from someone who can show with fact if more fermentation equates to more nicotine.

Not a problem....and I hope I am wrong. But the past couple of weeks I have been doing a lot of net surfing on cigars and I "think" I read that. I will go back as soon as I have time and double check it.

Hate to say I think I read that on the net.....whole can of worms....and so much contradiction.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    90+ Irishman:
    [but would be very curious to hear from someone who can show with fact if more fermentation equates to more nicotine.
    It is my understanding Fermentation REDUCES nicotine by removing the excess sugars and dissapating the ammonia that is what gives the nicotine its hit.

Aj

"Yes they do as they are made from tobacco which has nicotine. However as cigars age the nicotine levels drops off and can completely disappear. This may take months to years depending on the quality of the cigar and how long is has aged at the factory."

This statement seems to be a trend in everything I am reading now so I must have miss-read and I do stand corrected, thanks. But, Habanos are considered to have the highest nicotine content.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    90+ Irishman:

Aj

"Yes they do as they are made from tobacco which has nicotine. However as cigars age the nicotine levels drops off and can completely disappear. This may take months to years depending on the quality of the cigar and how long is has aged at the factory."

This statement seems to be a trend in everything I am reading now so I must have miss-read and I do stand corrected, thanks. But, Habanos are considered to have the highest nicotine content.
    Thanks AJ and JD for that info! So AshMe, maybe you should try one if the darker ones so long as it's known to be a milder "darker" cigar. What have you been itching to try maybe we can help suggest? I've had a lot of hear luck with flavorful but milder Maduro wrapper Fuente Hemmingways....
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try having a soda with your cigar or sweet tea.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Just kidding. All things change with time.

Some years in the future you'll stop one day and think "Hmm, cigars used to make me drool and spin, and now I don't. When did that happen?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain