Home General Discussion
Options

Pairing cigars with alcohol

I've been out of the loop for a few months and haven't had time to smoke. Plus, here in the South it's been too humid for me to enjoy myself outdoors. Usually when I smoke I like to have a glass or two of bourbon, scotch or maybe an Irish whiskey (preferably Two Gingers). I've had beers at times, but I prefer the hootch. I'm going on a camping trip in a month and you bet your sweet ass I'm taking some smokes. We got some Peppermint Moonshine by bird dog that is really good, but I don't want to ruin either by the combo if it doesn't work out. Anyone tried anything peppermint with cigars? I'm not going to be sipping just shots.

Comments

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Peppermint? I'd pass on that, unless you're smoking Acid's or something.
    Have a snifter or two, or three, of hootch before you light up.............then relax and have a cigar with some water, or a dark beer, or a real CocaCola...............................then repeat.
    Have fun camping.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I can recommend is bourbon. And in my opinion, you need to cut it with water or use ice. If you don't you'll be numbing your tastebuds and lessening the flavors you'll get from your cigar. Just my 2 cents on it. Usually I drink water but plenty of times it's bourbon. And if you want to spend a few extra dollars get some Woodfords Reserve. I swear they use butter in that stuff.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely worry about what I am drinking when smoking. Whatever I am in the mood for. Personally if I was drinking shots of Bird Dog, I would probably not be smoking an Opus or a CC. Not for taste reasons, but because I probably wouldn't remember it.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I get 99% of my flavor on the retro, so I can drink whatever I want.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aland84:
    I've been out of the loop for a few months and haven't had time to smoke. Plus, here in the South it's been too humid for me to enjoy myself outdoors. Usually when I smoke I like to have a glass or two of bourbon, scotch or maybe an Irish whiskey (preferably Two Gingers). I've had beers at times, but I prefer the hootch. I'm going on a camping trip in a month and you bet your sweet ass I'm taking some smokes. We got some Peppermint Moonshine by bird dog that is really good, but I don't want to ruin either by the combo if it doesn't work out. Anyone tried anything peppermint with cigars? I'm not going to be sipping just shots.
    Peppermint? Surely there is enough room for a nice bottle of rum in your backpack. I don't see things ending well with the peppermint, but that's me. Good luck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Aland84:
    Peppermint? Surely there is enough room for a nice bottle of rum in your backpack. I don't see things ending well with the peppermint, but that's me. Good luck.
    I tend to agree simply based on how strong that peppermint flavor is in the mouth. Only a few sticks I can think of May pair with that. It's be a long shot but only one that kinda comes to mind is the MF FdLA due to that aromatic black tea flavor I get but even then I'd be worried about the peppermint overpowering it. Maybe a cigar that has a profile like a chocolate bar since chocolate + peppermint is a good flavor but I dunno.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I usually take a bottle of Evan Williams black label I have woodford at home but if I'm going to share a lot I get my trusty black label. I was pretty sure the peppermint wouldn't do too well. Thanks for your input guys.
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Aland84:
    I tend to agree simply based on how strong that peppermint flavor is in the mouth. Only a few sticks I can think of May pair with that. It's be a long shot but only one that kinda comes to mind is the MF FdLA due to that aromatic black tea flavor I get but even then I'd be worried about the peppermint overpowering it. Maybe a cigar that has a profile like a chocolate bar since chocolate + peppermint is a good flavor but I dunno.

Java Mint?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    The only thing I can recommend is bourbon. And in my opinion, you need to cut it with water or use ice. If you don't you'll be numbing your tastebuds and lessening the flavors you'll get from your cigar. Just my 2 cents on it. Usually I drink water but plenty of times it's bourbon. And if you want to spend a few extra dollars get some Woodfords Reserve. I swear they use butter in that stuff.
    Woodford.... :) that was my first bourbon. Ive tried plenty, but it's my favorite by far.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    you know it has always been bourbon for me. But as time has gone Coffee is good to and so is beer nice IPA or stout . Brandy and Yak too is good
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Woodford Reserve or similar but for something less expensive try Buffalo Trace. Sippin bourbon for me
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I like a variety of scotches and beer, but don't have any rationale beyond "hey, that sounds good right now."
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't drink any hard liquor except the "white lighting" that a friend makes in the next county. Mostly I like apple or peach once or twice a year in a mason jar. Don't want to have any lighters on while drinking that stuff, it can explode. For cigars I seem to lean towards a dark beer. Newcastle Brown Ale or Negra Modelo.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Zaya or Ron Zacapa 23 !!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    MVW67:
    Zaya or Ron Zacapa 23 !!!!

I bought Ron Zacapa on some thread's recommendation in the non-cigar related forum and all I have to say is wow!
  • Options
    If you can find it or get it special ordered try the Ron Zacapa XO
  • Options
    My first choice is usually a scotch, with ice. I even invested in the silicone ball molds for it. Ballantine has quickly became my favorite, or Walker gold label. And I sometime lightly dip the end in the scotch. There is a cigar lounge in Ginza, Japan I go to. I'll usually get a cuban Romeo Y Julliete Churchill and they have scotch still in barrels that they age themselves.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the smoke...take for instance I think macallan 12 pairs well with the psd4 just because of the vanilla nip at the end. I find laphroid pairs well with rass since the peat goes nice with the charred cherry taste and makers goes well with la paulina because of the nice wood compliments. But if I had just one thing to drink I'd pick makers 46...it's smooth oaky packs a punch and not over priced for what you get
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I prefer bourbon as well. For me, strong cigar = strong bourbon. If I'm having a Fuente Anejo I will likely choose my Stage Jr. If it is something more mild it might be Basil Hayden or Woodford. I can't think that anything peppermint would complement a cigar that well.
  • Options
    I was gonna start a new thread asking this but i figured it would suit here. Does anyone age their's with alcohol? I've heard that some people will put a shot glass of whiskey in their humi. I'm just wondering if it's worth it, and if it is how best to do it.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W1REB1TER:
    I was gonna start a new thread asking this but i figured it would suit here. Does anyone age their's with alcohol? I've heard that some people will put a shot glass of whiskey in their humi. I'm just wondering if it's worth it, and if it is how best to do it.
    Clearly Suspect did that a couple years back, a couple others have tried it as well. Do some necro-searching, you'll find it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain