Home General Discussion
Options

Baby Jim

See guys!

I found some of Jim's first words! Wasn't Jim cute when he was little?
Bigshizza:
Hola Fellas, Forum virgin here! Be gentle....I just added my sticks after seasoning my humidor and receiving my digital hygrometer. I found a local B&M and spent some time in his walk-in humidor! Lovely! The smell was awesome and I picked some up for my brother and myself. Yum. Love reading the posts and find the comraderie very uplifting. My wife isn't crazy about this new hobby but it's better than chewing...that I used to do..Lol...thanks for having me!

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    NCR. KTHXBAI
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awww!!! So Cute
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    See guys!

Bigshizza:
    Hola Fellas, Forum virgin here! Be gentle....I just added my sticks after seasoning my humidor and receiving my digital hygrometer. I found a local B&M and spent some time in his walk-in humidor! Lovely! The smell was awesome and I picked some up for my brother and myself. Yum. Love reading the posts and find the comraderie very uplifting. My wife isn't crazy about this new hobby but it's better than chewing...that I used to do..Lol...thanks for having me!
    Geez you got some time on your hands.
  • Options
    I found Jay's!
    New Boots:
    Brand new to the site, and to cigars. I are smart and really like the premipremipremsI also like more than one guy at a time, Victor Sinclair and falsifying my taxes
    :)
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    See guys!

Bigshizza:
    Haha, nice work.
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    What goes around comes around! haha. Here is Rain's!
    Rain:
    First of all, let me thank everyone everything I've learned reading through the forums. I recently returned from Afghanistan, where every night some of the people I lived with would some cigars. Several times I joined them, and when I returned home I found that I missed the camaraderie (as well as the time away from my wife =P). I ordered a few cigars and a humidor from cigar.com. When I got the humidor, I looked up what I needed to do. I put in a shot glass half filled with water,dampened the humidifier and waited 12 hours. 12 hours later, all the water was still in the glass. I again dampened the humidifier and left it for 24 hours. Still nothing. I feel like I am missing something simple, but I could sure use some help!
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    CharlieHeis:
    I started smoking again this past summer after not having a cigar for 10-15 years. Our local smoke shop closed and I lost interest. All it took was a cousin giving me a decent stick at a wedding to remember how much I liked it. And here I am. I like sports, music, beer and food.
  • Options
    AshMe:
    Welcome Heavyweight. I started cigar smoking one month ago (ever since I lit up a Davidoff "Its a Boy!" tubo cigar that I handed out to friends and family to celebrate the birth of my son. Therefore, I consider myself also a noob and having committed the initial noob errors, I feel it my duty to pass on what I learned and wish I had done differently: 1. "Which do I buy?" The general consensus is that you should start mild. Buying cigars online is better than a store because you have the strength, origin, and reviews for a cigar at your fingertips (freebies are also a plus). Much easier to decide. Also, don't buy cigars at stores that have them sitting in the wide open space on a shelf or counter. You have no idea how long they have been sitting there, drying out, and sucking up the smoke from everyone smoking around them. Also, chose 2-day shipping and avoid ordering over the weekend. They will sit in a UPS warehouse in 80-90 degree temperatures. 2. "What do I need to start a collection?" This is a confusing question. Do you want to smoke them or collect them? If you want to collect them to look at them, this is what you'll need: 1. Decide how big of a collection you want, and buy a humidor that will fit twice as many cigars. The Aristocrat M humidor is a good collection size. You can store all those pretty boxes in there also. 2. Once you have the humidor, buy limited edition cigars and specialty cigars that are usually attractive and worth collecting. 3. Keep your cigars at 70/70. 70 degrees F will also prevent tobacco beetle eggs from hatching. If you want to smoke them, I will suggest the following: 1. Get into the habit of buying samplers. I rushed to buy boxes of cigars and now I regret it because I am stuck with a whole bunch of the same cigars that I need to finish before I can experience others. Which leads me to the second tip... 2. Dont buy more cigars than you have the space and time to care for. This means investing in a good sized humidor because that will affect the variety and quantity of cigars you can have. Start with the Boveda humidity packs. They are an excellent "set and forget" humidity solution for beginners. Tupperware is great for beginners too. Large and Cheap. Just dont forget to open the box every few days to air out the cigars because tupperware is air-tight. Also, I suggest keeping the humidors in your closet. Temperatures dont fluctuate much in there, no windows for sunlight, and the A/C keeps it nice and cool. 3. Get a good Xikar cutter and a good SINGLE FLAME torch lighter. Dont get those multiple flame torch lighters that look and sound like the exhaust of an F-16. The point is to surgically light the circumference of the foot of the cigar in hand while you rotate - not make s'mores. Lastly, I will finish with a tip on the cellophane wrapper debate. If you smoke your cigars within a year, it doesn't really matter what you do - just handle with care. But, I have found that a good compromise is cutting the flappy and folded part of the plastic as close to the foot of the cigar as you can "safely" get. The resulting hole improves airflow. Good luck with your cigars and post more questions!! I just finished a 5 vegas nugget while writing this. Excellent cigar.
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    ^^^ holy crap. that was my first post?!! hit the ground in a Ducati!
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    CharlieHeis:
    I started smoking again this past summer after not having a cigar for 10-15 years. Our local smoke shop closed and I lost interest. All it took was a cousin giving me a decent stick at a wedding to remember how much I liked it. And here I am. I like sports, music, beer and food.
    Haha. That wasn't that long ago. Then someone commented about heading over to the TPB thread and learning about Ccom math. Learned quickly what a bunch of crazies you guys are.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Rain:
    I found Jay's!
    New Boots:
    Brand new to the site, and to cigars. I are smart and really like the premipremipremsI also like more than one guy at a time, Victor Sinclair and falsifying my taxes
    :)
    NCR KTHXBY