Options

30 Republicans Senators Support Gang Rape

2»

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:
    Go for it Kuz------we may agree on this one (my fingers are crossed we wont, lol ....j/k)
    well... it isnt THIS topic....
    but something close to it. i dont have time now. i gotta get stuff done on my only day off this week.

been way to busy lately.
    first:

a bit on topic

you have to keep in mind here that i have had zero time to read anything about this story. not only that, but i only skimmed the one that was linked up.

if the gang rape happened, then the people who took part in it should be punished, not the entire company. as stated in other threads on many occasions, businesses are not people, and should not be treated as such. if there were people in the business that were trying to cover up the rape, those people should also be punished. if the vote was to punish the company, then there are people in the company that were not involved with the rape, and may have never even heard of it till the story came out that would be punished for a crime.
    this is not right.
    if the government goes around punishing companies for violating rights while ignoring the fact that it was a group of individuals that violated that woman's rights, this means that the government is dominating that company. this is a bit fascist. the vote to not punish a company may have been because the company did nothing wrong, while a group of individuals did.

the topic i wanted to change things to:

it is the paradox that seems to exist on the side of many conservative Christians.

on one hand the bible tells you that you must sacrifice for others and that doing good for others is the only way one can get to heaven. faith is the path to salvation; shut out reason and let god into the heart, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven."

but conservatives argue against taxes that will go to programs intended to help others. and that Reason is the only way to argue against big government. conservatives also say that the only cure to poverty is wealth.

these statements seem very contradictory. If one were to consistently apply the Christian principles of faith and self-sacrifice to politics, you would end up with Communism.

... its just something that i was thinking about. it is not a fully developed thought at this point. just a few random ideas that popped in my head while working.

discuss
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:
    Go for it Kuz------we may agree on this one (my fingers are crossed we wont, lol ....j/k)
    well... it isnt THIS topic....
    but something close to it. i dont have time now. i gotta get stuff done on my only day off this week.

been way to busy lately.
    first:

a bit on topic

you have to keep in mind here that i have had zero time to read anything about this story. not only that, but i only skimmed the one that was linked up.

if the gang rape happened, then the people who took part in it should be punished, not the entire company. as stated in other threads on many occasions, businesses are not people, and should not be treated as such. if there were people in the business that were trying to cover up the rape, those people should also be punished. if the vote was to punish the company, then there are people in the company that were not involved with the rape, and may have never even heard of it till the story came out that would be punished for a crime.
    this is not right.
    if the government goes around punishing companies for violating rights while ignoring the fact that it was a group of individuals that violated that woman's rights, this means that the government is dominating that company. this is a bit fascist. the vote to not punish a company may have been because the company did nothing wrong, while a group of individuals did.

the topic i wanted to change things to:

it is the paradox that seems to exist on the side of many conservative Christians.

on one hand the bible tells you that you must sacrifice for others and that doing good for others is the only way one can get to heaven. faith is the path to salvation; shut out reason and let god into the heart, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven."

but conservatives argue against taxes that will go to programs intended to help others. and that Reason is the only way to argue against big government. conservatives also say that the only cure to poverty is wealth.

these statements seem very contradictory. If one were to consistently apply the Christian principles of faith and self-sacrifice to politics, you would end up with Communism.

... its just something that i was thinking about. it is not a fully developed thought at this point. just a few random ideas that popped in my head while working.

discuss
    I would agree with that but the company didn't do anything about it from the get go.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna stay out of this one. You guys really don't want to discuss religion with me. Kuzi, I would recommend you go back and read the entire 19th Chapter of Matthew and not just select quotes. This is one of the most common miss quoted verses from the Bible relating to wealth. Go on to read Matthew 19:25 and 26. Without these versus, the previous verse is irrelevant.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I would agree with that but the company didn't do anything about it from the get go.
    no... the individuals within the company didnt act. the company doesnt exist.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    I'm gonna stay out of this one. You guys really don't want to discuss religion with me. Kuzi, I would recommend you go back and read the entire 19th Chapter of Matthew and not just select quotes. This is one of the most common miss quoted verses from the Bible relating to wealth. Go on to read Matthew 19:25 and 26. Without these versus, the previous verse is irrelevant.
    like i said... its a passing thought that i wanted discussion on.
    by no means is this proof that conservatives are stupid or any of that. im looking for a different light to look at this in.
  • Options
    BTW:

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
    21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
    22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
    23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
    25When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
    26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Please no bible quotes...if we start discussing God again---I always fear she may actually begin to exist and try some plagues or something.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect...

would you mind a PM to discuss this in a more private way? im lookin to learn something but i dont have the means.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    clearlysuspect...

would you mind a PM to discuss this in a more private way? im lookin to learn something but i dont have the means.
    you got it kuzi..... in your inbox that is!