Home General Discussion
Options

Cigars and dental hygiene

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
Okay, so I tried out a new dentist today (old one's failing eyesight shaky hands were beginning to worry me). Now, I'm very meticulous about dental care--brushing, rinsing, flossing, gum massaging--and other than the occasional cavity have never had a problem.

I'm also not a big-time cigar smoker. At most I do 1-2 cigars per week. An I hadn't lit up a stogie in nearly a week before my appointment..

So, the new dentist guy is doing his examination thing, and at one point he asks me, totally out of the blue, "Do you smoke?" I kind of looked at him warily and said, "Ummmmm, why?"

He said that my gums were showing early signs of periodontal disease. Since there was no real plaque or other food stuff there to cause it, he said that smoking of any kind can cause it. I fessed up my cigar smoking, but said, "Doc, I only do one or two a week, I only smoke premium brands, not Swisher Sweets." He shrugged and said that all that nicotine and smoke swirling around your mouth can accelerate gum disease.

The fact that he was able to make the connection after never having seen me really spooked me. So much so that afterward I had to take a walk and light up a Hemingway.

Comments

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a question he asks all new patients. Occasionally he gets lucky and that starts the lecture.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Im 60 and been smoking since I was 12 years old...cigars that is. I've had dentists ask me my entire life about smoking and I tell them I smoke cigars and don't lecture me....I will continue to smoke until I'm in the grave and maybe even after. If one brushes and takes care of their teeth you can expect to keep them but there are risks...just like getting out of bed and being run over by a truck.
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    raisindot:
    The fact that he was able to make the connection after never having seen me really spooked me. So much so that afterward I had to take a walk and light up a Hemingway.
    Man that last part was really funny. Reminds about this hillbilly "Outlaw" that posts videos on youtube about "dipping" (Copenhagen). He is hilarious.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    Now you've freaked me out. I am REALLY picky about my teeth.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Sounds like a question he asks all new patients. Occasionally he gets lucky and that starts the lecture.

I wanted to say that.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Bigshizza:

I wanted to say that.
    Being a health care provider, that is what we are trained to do. Ask you about your history, and then discuss with you what you tell us! So I would definitely agree with Jimbo here!
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    jd50ae:
    Bigshizza:

I wanted to say that.
    Being a health care provider, that is what we are trained to do. Ask you about your history, and then discuss with you what you tell us! So I would definitely agree with Jimbo here!

I kind of mentioned that to him after he asked...kind of like the old "You must say that to all the girls" line. But he didn't ask me any questions about my health or dental habits before he started poking around in there, and he said the main reason he asked was because the lack of plaque and other nasty stuff made him think something other than the usual dental crud might be causing it.

But you're right...might have been the first in a series of "directive questions" he would've tossed out there trying to hit gold, like the way the TV psychics hit their marks.
  • Options
    benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Unicorn:
    Now you've freaked me out. I am REALLY picky about my teeth.
    Sounds like you should stop smoking. I'll send you my address to help you quit :)
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it came between my teeth and cigars.... Guess I'll be getting some dentures.
  • Options
    denialtaylordenialtaylor Posts: 1
    edited July 2021

I'm 70 years old and have been smoking cigars since I was 12 years old. I've had dentist approach me about smoking my entire life, and I've always told them I smoke cigars, and they don't scold me.... I'll keep smoking until I'm dead, and maybe even beyond that. You should expect to keep your teeth if you clean and take care of them, but there are risks...just like getting out of bed and running over by a truck.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@denialtaylor said:
    I'm 70 years old and have been smoking cigars since I was 12 years old. I've had dentist approach me about smoking my entire life, and I've always told them I smoke cigars, and they don't scold me.... I'll keep smoking until I'm dead, and maybe even beyond that. You should expect to keep your teeth if you clean and take care of them, but there are risks...just like getting out of bed and running over by a truck.

Cigary is that you?......See the 3rd post.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh, in the USA you need a prescription but in most other countries you don't for chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse. I buy a bunch on ebay and anytime my gums look a bit weathered I just rinse with it nightly for about 5 days and things clear right up. Keeps the gums nice and pink. Gurgling a peroxide water solution will also help keep mouth clean.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you experienced any side-effects of this rinse?

"The most common side effects associated with chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinses are: 1) an increase in staining of teeth and other oral surfaces; 2) an increase in calculus formation; and 3) an alteration in taste perception"

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    Have you experienced any side-effects of this rinse?

"The most common side effects associated with chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinses are: 1) an increase in staining of teeth and other oral surfaces; 2) an increase in calculus formation; and 3) an alteration in taste perception"

Nope. Some people get those if they use a full dental course of 7-14 days to treat gingivitis. It does taste a little bad but not rinsing helps. I use it more as a maintenance tool to tighten things up or if I get a cut/sore irritation on my gum. It's used in surgury applications and for animal husbandry as well in different concentrations. It's a great antiseptic.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

@denialtaylor said:

Yeah, how do blow jobs affect your gingivitis, you spamming prïck?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@denialtaylor said:

Easy kemosabe

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

@Usaf06 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@denialtaylor said:

Easy kemosabe

He's got a link for some crappy dental site in his repost. He can literally fvck himself with a floss pick.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@denialtaylor said:

I'm flooding Amazon with one star ratings on your product. Bïtch!

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I think I finally figured what is going on. I felt so lost and confused for a bit. :D

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

gotta take care of your stomatognathic system

Tooth loss associated with increased cognitive impairment, dementia
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/07/210708083904.htm