Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Have you heard of Brendan Tevlin..?

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why isn't Brendan Tevlin's murder getting more attention?

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because he doesn't fit the political agenda of the current day.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Does every murder case deserve national media attention? If not, how do you decide which ones do? In 2012 and 2013 there were a total of 86 murders in the Newark, NJ area. I didn't hear of any of those people either.
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    Does every murder case deserve national media attention? If not, how do you decide which ones do? In 2012 and 2013 there were a total of 86 murders in the Newark, NJ area. I didn't hear of any of those people either.

You can answer that question by reading who killed him. You may have to go to a real news station and avoid msnbc and the like.

And yes, every murder should be on the national news.
  • Options
    Oh I read the story on your beloved fox. Sounds like a psychopath that happened to identify as a Muslim killed some white kid. Sounds like he was wanted for other crimes. Why was he on the streets? A tragedy, no doubt, but why do you care? Have you heard of Tammy Jo Blanton? Much worse story if you ask me. Convicted murderer that got out after doing a little time and killed again then cooked and ate part of her brain after the police had "told him to go home". If the only thing on the news is murder, which if all of them were reported nationally would be all the news was, wouldn't we be desensitized? How about the girl that went missing near the university of Virginia? Three other girls have gone missing in the past several years. It's nonstop, we live in a **** society. Some kid getting shot up on the streets doesn't really move the needle much.
  • Options
    Sorry pal, I did not read it on FOX first. I did tune to FOX to get the full story. And why are you so hung up on FOX? There are other news worthy sources out there....not just FOX, but glad you are watching one of the highest rated and most trusted news programs on cable, FOX. Oh did I mention FOX? And the girl in VA, it was on FOX. (glad I caught that misspelled word)
  • Options
    I only figured that's what you meant by real news seeing as you mentioned msnbc... It goes both ways pal. I think you missed the point, and proved it at the same time. I don't care what news you watch. I read it on fox to get a perspective on it other than my own. You didn't bother to address my other concerns though. Why get so up in arms over one murder when there are many more happening every day?
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    You didn't bother to address my other concerns though. Why get so up in arms over one murder when there are many more happening every day?
    Because murder is one thing whereas confessed Islamic terrorism here at home is quite another. Don't be dense.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    I only figured that's what you meant by real news seeing as you mentioned msnbc... It goes both ways pal. I think you missed the point, and proved it at the same time. I don't care what news you watch. I read it on fox to get a perspective on it other than my own. You didn't bother to address my other concerns though. Why get so up in arms over one murder when there are many more happening every day?
    +1.
  • Options
    I have a hard time defining one act with one victim by one person with no known ties to any Islamic militant groups as an act of "terror." If it is, it wasn't very successful, because I'm not scared. Are you? Yes, I read what he said and why he killed.

Perhaps I'm just not as paranoid as our media outlets would like me to be. Perhaps every night on the news is another tragedy somewhere and I have a hard time drumming up any sort of concern because there will be another awful story the next day. Again, if every murder is reported on we begin to get desensitized. There is just as much good happening in this world as there is bad. We just don't hear about it.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't say he's believable. I don't say I'm scared. But according to the fellow who confessed the jihad, there were four murders, not one. And the fact is, if this fit the dominant liberal media paradigm of the day, they would pick this football up and run with it ad nauseum. Just admit it.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Oh I agree 100%. I think what I'm most critical of is that the majority of our media outlets are biased in one way or another and they decide when and how information is disseminated. But, as we all know, that is the news that most folks get their information from. Thus, many of us base our reactions and opinions off of jaded information and continue to argue with those who read it somewhere else.
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    Oh Thus, many of us base our reactions and opinions off of jaded information and continue to argue with those who read it somewhere else.

Yes you sure do. And you like trying to change the subject. And LBJ was the biggest racist of them all.
  • Options
    If you don't want a response from a different viewpoint, don't say anything to begin with. Have you read this thread? You should read it again, a little harder this time. What does LBJ have to do with anything? You make absolutely no sense and have added nothing to this discussion. Speaking of changing subjects, I am not the subject of this thread so please stay on topic.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they think it's not newsworthy. Their audience doesn't want to hear about this they think. If he is a terrorist and we are at war, or are we, what to do with him? Can't call it workplace violence this time.

Remember when we only had 3 channels, national news was just news. Now there are so many channels and a 24 hour news cycle they have to create their own news to stay alive. Not reporting all the facts and all the sides but validating their agenda by reporting certain facts or bending them for their audience. From news to more of a talk show type format. Give us all the facts as you know them and we will make our minds up.

For the record, I watch Fox, Bill O'Reilly, Meagan and Huckabee. For network ABC Nightly News. I read the New York Post, USA Today and a local newspaper daily, somewhere between them is the truth.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read several articles and there is no doubt that Brown is a terrible individual, but I do not think he is a terrorist. It seems far more likely that he is a religious zealot who is masking his terrible crimes behind a tenet of Muslim faith that is a jihad. This is no doubt a tragedy and something that belongs in the news, but it's not necessarily something that belongs in the national news for an extended time. I understand that some people feel that there is a political motivation for not "covering" this news story, but there is also a political motivation for running so many stories about why they are "refusing" to cover it as well.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Cuz he isnt black and his killer isnt white. Al Sharpton isnt interested in it
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    Maybe they think it's not newsworthy. Their audience doesn't want to hear about this they think. If he is a terrorist and we are at war, or are we, what to do with him? Can't call it workplace violence this time.

Remember when we only had 3 channels, national news was just news. Now there are so many channels and a 24 hour news cycle they have to create their own news to stay alive. Not reporting all the facts and all the sides but validating their agenda by reporting certain facts or bending them for their audience. From news to more of a talk show type format. Give us all the facts as you know them and we will make our minds up.

For the record, I watch Fox, Bill O'Reilly, Meagan and Huckabee. For network ABC Nightly News. I read the New York Post, USA Today and a local newspaper daily, somewhere between them is the truth.

When I was growing up we had 3 newspapers. Washington Post in the morning, Daily news in the afternoon and The Evening Star, well, in the evening. Somewhere between the 3 you could make up your mind. Now all they have is The Washington Post and they are too busy trying to decide elections by ignoring what hurts their cause, and promoting what helps. Only lately, since the evidence is overwhelming and FOX kept reporting on everything, have they started letting out some facts and truth.

For the record also:
    I watch FOX, Good Morning (poser) America, The BBC (use to fact filled), cnn (absolutely left leaning and they are also just catching up) News Specials and the occasional 20-20 type show. For a real laugh and to see how far the left has gone msnbc (home of fruits and nuts).
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Cuz he isnt black and his killer isnt white. Al Sharpton isnt interested in it

Well, kind of, al notsosharp is one of the most opportunist camera hogs and frauds alive. But, the biggest thing not being mentioned was MUSLIM and JIHAD and TERRORIST. And PC says don't mention it. Of course there someday will be another bomb someplace and the "LIVE" coverage will not allow them PC because everyone will be watching it "LIVE".
  • Options
    “He could’ve been my son.”

That’s what President Obama said about Trayvon Martin in 2012. And it was true. He could’ve passed for the president’s son. No doubt Trayvon’s parents miss him every day.

The president also expressed outrage about the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri this summer.

And rightly so, no parents should have to bury their sons. It is tragic.

When I look at this picture of Brendan Tevlin, I think, he could have been my son. A 19-year-old, suburban boy. Strawberry blond, athletic, bright and smiley.

Brendan could be my son, or yours. His only crime? Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, targeted by a person terrorizing a community and exacting revenge.

On June 25, he texted his Mom, Allison, that he was on his way home from a friend’s house. But he never made it there.

Minutes later, Ali Muhammad Brown walked up to Brendan’s family car, which was stopped at a red light, fired ten rounds into the car and killed him.

Brown then allegedly drove the car, with Brendan still in it, to a parking lot and left him there.

We live not far from the Tevlins in New Jersey, and word of the tragedy spread quickly. Carjacking? Robbery? What could have happened?

Then at a press conference, the police said the killing was “targeted.” That was a loaded word.

Everyone, including me, thought this: Oh, I see. Brendan was the one picked that night to go buy the pot from some guy in a parking lot and something went very wrong.

It was logical, maybe, to think that way, but completely off base. There were no drugs. Just a boy targeted by a killer, who was bent on jihad.

The killer, according to the court documents, says that Tevlin’s death was "a just kill.” An act of vengeance and retaliation for U.S military action in the Middle East. “All these lives are taken every single day by America, by this government. So a life for a life” said the devout Muslim.

So that’s what the police meant when they said he was “targeted.” It would have been helpful if they’d clarified that a bit. Instead of adding insult to the profound injury already inflicted on Brendan’s family and friends.

The use of the word “targeted” led me, and others, to conclude that in some way Brendan had put himself in danger and that although his death was tragic, it couldn’t happen to my child (or your child) if they didn’t do the same thing.

But that odd comfort and conclusion were sadly mistaken.

Brendan could be my son, or yours. His only crime? Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, targeted by a person terrorizing a community and exacting revenge.

Brendan’s killing belongs in the category of the Fort Hood shootings by Maj. Nidal Hassan or the drive by shooting of a storefront military recruiter in Little Rock in 2009. These were both random acts of terrorism, on our soil.

But that’s not what Brendan’s family wants you to know. They want you to remember their son. The handsome, young man who played the bag pipes and loved music. The talented student and gregarious guy, who won over friends and professors in his first year at the University of Richmond. The Seton Hall Prep graduate and lacrosse player who went on to play on his club college team.

All the promise that was cut short. He had his whole life ahead of him until this low-life murderer decided to rob him and his family of all that.

I’m sorry if I sound too angry or impartial. But every time I look at this young man, I think, he could have been my son. My heart breaks for his mom and dad and his sister and brothers.

The country stopped this summer as we watched the hurt and anger in Ferguson after Michael Brown’s body lay on the ground for hours after he was shot and killed by law enforcement. The pundits and preachers flocked to Ferguson, outraged at what the police had done. Protestors filled the streets and riots broke out. It was a terrible story.

So where is our collective outrage and remembrance of Brendan Tevlin? His story has been lost in a sorry media double standard.

Martha MacCallum currently serves as the co-anchor of "America's Newsroom" alongside Bill Hemmer (Weekdays 9-11AM/ET). She joined FOX News Channel (FNC) in January 2004. Click here for more information on Martha MacCallum.