Home Non Cigar Related

How do you get to sleep?

No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
So I'm working 8-430 now and am waking up about quarter of 7. It's pretty early for me especially because I've almost alwasy gone to sleep around 1-2 am. I am forcing myself to bed earlier, but I never get fully to sleep. Feel like I'm restless, go through weird/bad dreams and wake up like 5 times a night. I need help. Nyquil is out because it puts me to sleep, but then I can't wake up.

Alcohol?
Warm milk?
Up for suggestions.

Comments

• UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    Melatonin is helpful. That, and sex. Oh, and shutting off all electronics an hour before bed.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Actually I have been doing the "Don't look at bright screens" thing since I started work... I used to play like solitaire on my cell for a half hour or more while in bed and it eventually just knocks me out. It's almost as if not having the screens is worse for me.

I think I've tried melatonin to no avail. And as to sex, yes yes yes, but not in the cards currently. Current girl can't stay over late enough for that to really work, I still typically have an hour or more after she leaves :(
    Half the time I fall asleep with my phone in my hand so I get that! When do you have your last stimulant?
    Like dinner time. There isn't much short of black coffee, espresso, and energy drinks that actually wake me up. I don't know, maybe I'll just eventually get used to it. But for now, it's miserable spending the entire night in a state of distress.
    I'm very sensitive to NyQuil too. I used to take half of a Tylenol PM. It worked pretty well.
    I'm surprised no one has piped up, "JUST GET DRUNK BRUH" lol but believe me, I've had long stretches of time where I've been sober 1/10 nights. Works, but **** to wake up to again.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read a book. Actually paper copy not on an electronic device. This helps me and I've had sleep issues for almost 25 years. I typically only sleep about 4 hours a night and am usually only asleep for about an hour and a half to two hours at a time.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Exercise. Wear yourself out. I'm bad about laying on the couch watching tv until I'm sleepy then going to bed and being wide awake. Some days I walk 4 or 5 miles in the field for work, eat dinner when I get home and crash. Some days I sit in the office staring at a computer all day and decide to go walk and play 9 holes of golf after work (2.5 miles walking carrying a bag of clubs). Guaranteed to sleep like a log. If I don't do anything physical all day and just watch tv, I toss and turn all night. If all else fails, whisky brah haha
  • My schedule is not set, I work as needed, sometimes all night, sometimes all day. What I found helps is a routine for bed time. Do the same 20-30 minute routine every time before laying down and then when you want to go to sleep pick one position. My routine is go to my room, change, brush the grill, read one chapter from a book. When I want to sleep I roll over, bend my left knee, right side of my head on the pillow, reach out with my left arm and set the alarm. I rarely lay there for more than 5 minutes before passing out, no matter what time of day it is. In the Army it's important to be able to sleep when you can. I learned this at a sleep clinic after going through what you are. It take s a few days to train your body but I've been doing this for years now and it works for me.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    When I have trouble getting to sleep I apply something my mom told me when I was a child. You simply go down to the end of tired and turn right. Works every time. Once I went down to the end of tired and turned left. As soon as I did my mom appeared in front of me and said "I thought I told you to go to sleep". OK I lifted that from Steven Wright. I always liked his humor.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a drink and a cigar. Relaxes me and a little TV puts me right out. Once you get on a schedule you will be OK with sleep
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I dont. I dont try to force myself to either. I might go back and forth between the couch 5 times a night. If you cant sleep, then dont. But keep yourself mildly occupied.

I kinda have absorbed a "*** it" outlook to sleep, so if your not getting mad at yourself because you cant sleep just not care, and after a few days of "whatever" you will begin to sleep.

Aj
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since my cancer surgery I have to sleep sitting up but because I'm a bit **** by nature I have developed a routine of things I do during the last thirty minutes or so before I get into bed. Then I just 'black out' my mind and go right to sleep. It works well for me......
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyquil has a product called zzzquil or something like that. Has helped me a few times. Check it out.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After many years of war intruding on my sleep and my rest i went to the VA and got some meds. Nine PM I take my meds and grab a library book and in a half hour I put the book up and sleep. Two AM I'm up to check the house and then back to bed. Four AM I'm up again to check then back to bed and at six I'm up for good.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Granted I've been on a normal sleeping routine for years, so probably not any help. I like to read before sleeping. I usually end up nodding off and not reading. Next thing I know, I'm opening my eyes again, trying to figure out where I left off in the book. Then I put it down and I'm asleep in a couple minutes. I do awake throughout the night, but no problem getting back to sleep. So to answer your question: reading.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    NO electronics about half an hour to an hour before bed. Read a book and then i fall asleep. Most nights I am out by 10:30 and up by 6 ish. I try to keep this schedule all weak including weekends, but i tend to go to sleep a bit later on weekends.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    All the above, especially reading.
    Bubble bath or hot shower about an hour or so before bed. Cold pillow.
    Get your mind at ease too, happy thoughts and memories, or thoughts of mammary's, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been reading before bed, but not in bed. I don't lie in bed until I'm just about to go to sleep and I don't stay in bed if I cannot sleep. I'll get up and do something for a little while if I'm having trouble falling asleep, occasionally I do a little more reading or I'll get up and get some water.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ambien works well if you use it correctly and can get a full eight hours of sleep. Seriously though it will knock your ass out but you have to be in bed when you take it otherwise you can end up doing some stupid things and not remembering much afterwords.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one whos gonna man up and say that tugging one out sure does help alot?
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Am I the only one whos gonna man up and say that tugging one out sure does help alot?

Someone mentioned sex, I thought they meant with another person, but solo's are good too.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    *** that wakes me up......... feel oftly lighter after and full of energy... no sleep aid there.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    Melatonin is helpful. That, and sex. Oh, and shutting off all electronics an hour before bed.
    I like your style. If I can only get the wife to take the melatonin after sex. :(
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    a little swig of nyquil does it for me.....
    brianetz1:
    a little swig of nyquil does it for me.....
    Didn't wanna read the op huh? lol anyway, I've been working such long hours it's made me just pass the f**k out. But the days I don't, are still miserable trying to get real sleep. Still waiting.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    uhh hand rolled stick of wacky tobacy?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Benadryl about an hour before I go to bed.

Started taking them to counter the side affect of another script, and it works well for both reasons.
    I buy Fred's equivalent, 600 pill bottle and you don't have to fight those little press packs. And they are a lot cheaper.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Booze
    Money can't buy taste
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Though I cant stay asleep for more them 30-40 minutes at a time because of the surgeons F-up cutting into my Sciatic Nerve cluster making the nerve pain wake me up when I fall into deep sleep and move, when adding the titanium cage in my back, one good trick that does help me relax at night and at least get into a good sleep start is to put 2 good amber/dark beers into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes then take them into a hot shower with me, down one as soon as I get in and relax a few seconds and then drink the other a bit slower while letting the hot water seep into my bones. I come out very relaxed