Home Cigar 101
Options

Kiln Dried Spanish Cedar Vs Spanish Cedar

yongycyongyc Posts: 16
Hi
Can someone tell me is there a different between Kiln Dried Spanish Cedar and Spanish Cedar? Recently bought a humidor and it said "lines in Kiln Dried Spanish Cedar" and when I opened it, it does not has the Spanish cedar smell and the humidor is smell like wood.
Will it affect my cigar??

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you cut a log into slabs you have to dry it out before it can be milled, a Kiln is simply an oven, this speeds up the process and produces more even drying so there is less cupping and warping. A lot of humidors are MDF with a thin veneer of Spanish cedar, the thicker the veneer the better it will smell and hold moisture.
  • Options
    yongycyongyc Posts: 16
    thanks but will it affect my cigar?
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once your humidor is properly "broken in" the cedar inside will be good to your cigars.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    You need kiln dried! Otherwise sap can run out of the wood
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    When you cut a log into slabs you have to dry it out before it can be milled, a Kiln is simply an oven, this speeds up the process and produces more even drying so there is less cupping and warping. A lot of humidors are MDF with a thin veneer of Spanish cedar, the thicker the veneer the better it will smell and hold moisture.
    Really? MDF? Are you sure about that, I've never seen one made out of MDF before.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    onestrangeone:
    Really? MDF? Are you sure about that, I've never seen one made out of MDF before.
    If you have one of the humi's that has an external hygrometer you can take it out and see, I'm not trying to say that all humi's are but a lot of the inexpensive to moderate priced ones are. MDF is actually very stable, they veneer the inside with cedar, the outside is veneered with something nice, add a cedar tray and divider and there you go.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    onestrangeone:
    I have a humi now that is MDF.