Home Non Cigar Related
Options

American Flag Offends in the US...?????????

2»

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I still have the first AMERICAN FLAG I could find after 9/11 and I absolutely feel sorry for the person who even attempts to remove it.

Let me correct my statement.

I will not feel sorry for /him/her/them, I will feel good taking out a lot of angry frustration that I and a lot of others feel. And I won't stop until I am so tired I can no longer swing. I am not a mean spirited or violent person but I have had it with this lXXXXXl stupidity that is a growing stinking malignant disease in this country.
  • Options
    Rain:

Yea, try and remove it.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    How long has it been since you heard the phrase "but it's a free country."? You used to hear it all the time. "He's killing himself with those cigarettes, but, you know what, it's a free country." "He's a racist knucklehead, but, well, it's a free country." "I don't get it, but it's a free country." "I don't know why his wife puts up with him. Well, it's a free country."

You don't hear "it's a free country" any more because it's not.

Here's the worst part of it: When we were tadpoles, in all the apocalypse movies, Big Brother clamps down and forces everyone to toe the rigid party line, while a subject population secretly plots to risk their lives for freedom. It didn't turn out that way, did it? Instead, what we see is subjects eagerly and openly squashing each other's rights, and demanding Big Brother clamp down. Which BB is eager to do. All in the name of virtue.

Ghastly.

Liberals refuse to accept responsibility for our PC plight. Who else devised it? Who? Blame it on Bush like everything else, I suppose. Conservatives pile on out of cowardice. If they were in the saddle, they wouldn't shoot this horse, they would just ride it over a different hill. Libertarians are painted with tinfoil hats. They're the only ones to say "Hey, it's supposed to be a free country." Children are raised institutionally in lock step so they know nothing else. The only liberty they know is libertinism. I don't see much hope.

You?

Minus the Bush reference, I've been giving this exact speech for the last couple decades. Few listen, fewer hear. Keep giving it anyway.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Political Correctness is enforcing euphemisms and squashing expression, ostensibly to avoid the utter horror of offending. It is censorship, completely contrary to the spirit of the first amendment, and ought not be the zeitgeist; but is. If this is not a blatant example of Political Correctness, then what is?

Wake up.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    raisindot:
    Sorry, folks, but this is not about PC--it's about the greedy apartment managers who are afraid of losing the foreign tenants who probably pay way more for their apartments then the students. Blame greedy real estate owners for valuing profits more than patriotism.
    While I won't call your spin on this subject pathetic, sorry or absurd, I will ridicule. LOL Almost EVERYTHING can (Truly or Falsely) be blamed on greed. Besides, The supposed act of greed you allude to would obviously be directly influenced by PC. How else do foreigners/immigrants/outsiders feel like they can get what they want from a silly complaint like this if it weren't for the steady and relentless progression of the PC virus? Speaking of PC. Neither Joe Biden nor myself got the memo when it was decided that you could NEVER call Asians Oriental. Nobody told me. Nope, I didn't know it was a slur. Nobody told Joe. But at least y'all can forgive Joe. He's in the right party. If he were a repub, the press would be chasing him down every alley to inflict their righteous anger upon him.

Well, sir, yours is definitely a very logical and well reasoned argument. And while I'm not in favor of the idiot apartment building owner's stupid demand to take down the flag, nor to suggest that PC is not responsible for other situations where flags are requested to be taken down, I would hypothesize that if in the same building in San Diego tenants in an apartment building flew the rainbow flag that promoted equal rites for gays and the apartment building owners requested that they take it down so as not to offend the American or foreign homophobes living in the building, it would be an equal case of political correctness censoring the right to express one's point of view....but, again I would say it reflects more of the owners' fear of losing tenants that it does representing an anti-American point of view. And it doesn't negate the fact that the owners of said building are stupid to even consider asking the tenants to take down the flag--unless the building itself has a code that forbids flying flags of any kind.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just ridiculous. I hope someone has the nads to try and make me remove an American flag, EVER!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Are we making a mountain out of a molehill? We found one idiot slumlord that doesn't want an American flag flying on his property. And I'm sure we can find a few other idiots that have done similar things. But we quickly take these actions and pretend they apply to the general populace. Why? No one does that with the Westboro idiots. Or the KKK. Or any other group of idiots with idiotic ideas. We seem way to eager to take small groups of people and use them to justify that the country is going to hell. I don't get it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    SleevePlz:
    Are we making a mountain out of a molehill? We found one idiot slumlord that doesn't want an American flag flying on his property. And I'm sure we can find a few other idiots that have done similar things. But we quickly take these actions and pretend they apply to the general populace. Why? No one does that with the Westboro idiots. Or the KKK. Or any other group of idiots with idiotic ideas. We seem way to eager to take small groups of people and use them to justify that the country is going to hell. I don't get it.
    Where I come from, there is a saying that goes something like this: "You give someone your finger, they'll want the hand. You give them the hand, they'll want your arm." I don't think any one situation such as this is too small to make a mountain of. Things like this should be nipped in the bud and doused with weedkiller. The Devil is always vigilant and looking for an opening.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    SleevePlz:

+100!

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks who have bled for our flag see something in it that most people do not. The folks who have bled are a very special minority. Majority rules.
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    Folks who have bled for our flag see something in it that most people do not. The folks who have bled are a very special minority. Majority rules.
    +100!
  • Options
    raisindot:
    SleevePlz:

+100!

The island of Rapa Nui was denuded one tree at a time. Each tree was just one tree. One family needing firewood for their hut. Until the day the last tree on Easter Island was gone. Then nobody could make a canoe and go fishing so the natives had to turn to eating one another. There was never one massive conflagration, never one big tree-cutting party, never an un-arbor day. Just an insidious creeping treelessness. By the time they woke up it was too late.

That's what we have here. Are you waiting until 200,000 souls gather in Central Park one night for a big book burning bonfire before you get off your butt? Not how it happens. It's baby steps. It's one 90 year old Medal of Honor winner who his neighborhood association tells him take down his flag pole and he says shove it. It's one young man hanging a flag on his balcony to remember the day Todd Beemer said "Let's roll" and paid the price. It's one small thing after another. It's the Death of a Thousand Cuts. It's an insidious creeping PC evisceration of America.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    raisindot:
    SleevePlz:

+100!

The island of Rapa Nui was denuded one tree at a time. Each tree was just one tree. One family needing firewood for their hut. Until the day the last tree on Easter Island was gone. Then nobody could make a canoe and go fishing so the natives had to turn to eating one another. There was never one massive conflagration, never one big tree-cutting party, never an un-arbor day. Just an insidious creeping treelessness. By the time they woke up it was too late.

That's what we have here. Are you waiting until 200,000 souls gather in Central Park one night for a big book burning bonfire before you get off your butt? Not how it happens. It's baby steps. It's one 90 year old Medal of Honor winner who his neighborhood association tells him take down his flag pole and he says shove it. It's one young man hanging a flag on his balcony to remember the day Todd Beemer said "Let's roll" and paid the price. It's one small thing after another. It's the Death of a Thousand Cuts. It's an insidious creeping PC evisceration of America.

It's almost a waste of time to voice such honest and correct (yes, IMHO) opinions. Living in lala land is deep rooted, and a fools paradise is the norm. The wearing of rose colored glasses is at an all time high, and it is becoming more and more apparent that a lot of people are just never going to get it, because they are afraid to admit they were wrong.
  • Options
    webmost:
    raisindot:
    SleevePlz:

+100!

My reaction to that? Right now, states across America are imposing draconian photo ID requirements solely for the purpose of keeping minorities and the poor from voting. What's next? Requiring voters to own property as many states did until the mid 19th century? Requiring voters to be Christian? Right now, states across the country are imposing draconian laws specifically designed to prevent women to exercise their constitutional right to have an abortion. What's next? States deciding that unwed women must give up unwanted babies, at the risk of their own health? Right now, states across the country are allowing their cops to pull over people simply because of their skin color and conduct searches in violation of the 4th Amendment. What's next, rounding up anyone who looks suspicious and sending them to camps like we did to Japanese Americans in WWII? Or sending them to prison without due process, as was done during the infamous Palmer Raids after WWI? Right now, the federal government, with the approval of most of Congress, still allows the government to tap our phones and log our emails with no requirement of probable cause. What's next, illegal wirerapping of private citizens based solely on political reasons, as happened during the McCarthy and Nixon eras? To me, all of these state- and federal-sanctioned curtailments of 1st Amendment rights are far, far more threatening to the American way of life than the occasional stupid and very rare occurrences of private companies asking for flags to be removed. If you tell me that there is any state in the country whose cops and other law enforcement officials are persecuting individuals for flying a flag then I'll be right there with you to condemn this at every level. But, as far as I'm concerned, stupid flag-censoring actions by a few stupid privately owned concerns pales in comparison of officially sanctioned acts of Constitution trampling going on right now all over this country.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    VERY WELL SAID Raisin------but it sure helps the "masters" to deflect and defer the real problems from the masses doesnt it?
  • Options
    raisindot:
    Right now, states across America are imposing draconian photo ID requirements solely for the purpose of keeping minorities and the poor from voting.
    Sorry. I choked right there. Are you afraid you can't win an election without voter fraud?

• Options
    webmost:
    raisindot:
    Right now, states across America are imposing draconian photo ID requirements solely for the purpose of keeping minorities and the poor from voting.
    Sorry. I choked right there. Are you afraid you can't win an election without voter fraud?

AMEN.

You have to show an ID for soooo may things but not to prove your a law abiding AMERICAN citizen to vote. In the words of billary clintonista, "what does it matter", they get soooo many false IDs anyway, goodness gracious its a multi-million dollar industry.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:

My reaction to that? Right now, states across America are imposing draconian photo ID requirements solely for the purpose of keeping minorities and the poor from voting. What's next? Requiring voters to own property as many states did until the mid 19th century? Requiring voters to be Christian? Right now, states across the country are imposing draconian laws specifically designed to prevent women to exercise their constitutional right to have an abortion. What's next? States deciding that unwed women must give up unwanted babies, at the risk of their own health? Right now, states across the country are allowing their cops to pull over people simply because of their skin color and conduct searches in violation of the 4th Amendment. What's next, rounding up anyone who looks suspicious and sending them to camps like we did to Japanese Americans in WWII? Or sending them to prison without due process, as was done during the infamous Palmer Raids after WWI? Right now, the federal government, with the approval of most of Congress, still allows the government to tap our phones and log our emails with no requirement of probable cause. What's next, illegal wirerapping of private citizens based solely on political reasons, as happened during the McCarthy and Nixon eras? To me, all of these state- and federal-sanctioned curtailments of 1st Amendment rights are far, far more threatening to the American way of life than the occasional stupid and very rare occurrences of private companies asking for flags to be removed. If you tell me that there is any state in the country whose cops and other law enforcement officials are persecuting individuals for flying a flag then I'll be right there with you to condemn this at every level. But, as far as I'm concerned, stupid flag-censoring actions by a few stupid privately owned concerns pales in comparison of officially sanctioned acts of Constitution trampling going on right now all over this country.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Love it! Where do you and Pelirrojo find these things???
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    The internet man, you can find anything out there!
    Another favorite and kind of how I envision a lot of people on these threads.
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    .........and kind of how I envision a couple of guys on these threads.

• Options
    Bob Luken:
    pelirrojo:
    .........and kind of how I envision a couple of guys on these threads.

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Must be something in the water there in Tennessee. You guys should get out more often.
  • Options
    Hey, don't you be knockin' on the Volunteer State--they've got great music, great bourbon and unsweet tea, beautiful country, hordes of hummingbirds and some of the best stogie bombers around.
  • Options
    Get out more?
    There them liberals go again, tellin' us just what they think we need to do to improoooooove ourselves.
    Get out more?
    Hell,....... I been to town,......... I been to town lots of times.

• Options
    Memphis Water Termed "Sweetest in the World"

"If water is a natural resource that is to be treasured and used like any other natural resource for economic development and other purposes, then it's clear that the Memphis region is the 'Saudi Arabia of water' among the highly populated portions of North America."
    That is the view of a man who knows – Dr. Jerry L. Anderson, Director of the Ground Water Institute at the University of Memphis and a nationally known expert in the field. Memphis has the "sweetest, most wonderful tasting water in the world," he said, in part because of the presence of so few minerals that the water can be used with little treatment when it is withdrawn from underground.

"The purity of water from the Memphis sands aquifer was one of the primary reasons that Coors selected Memphis as the site of its second brewery," said Carolyn Hardy, vice president and plant manager of the Memphis plant. Other factors in the 1990 decision, she said, were the presence of an experienced workforce and Memphis' role as a major international distribution center.

Far removed from beer is another example of a biotech company that chose Memphis in part because of its water – Viral Antigens Inc., the CEO and founder of which is Dr. Preston Dorsett.
    "We make 95% of the rubella (German measles) vaccine used in this country, as well as other diagnostic and injectable products," Dr. Dorsett said, "and one thing they all share in common is Memphis water which requires very little purification."