Home Cigar 101
Options

how full to fill a humidor

bobdbobd Posts: 71
How full do you guy fill your humis?  If it is a 100 count do you pack 100 in there or will you maintain a more consistent RH with an under-filled humi?

Comments

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Generally, the more sticks the steadier the RH, but if you have anything over corona sized cigars, that 100 ct. humi probably doesn't actually hold 100 sticks.
  • Options
    It depends a lot on the cigar's size. From my understanding, you don't want to pack it full because this will decrease air circulation. They need to be loose and not tightly packed together also. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
  • Options
    bobd:
    How full do you guy fill your humis?
    To the brim, if you can. A full humidor maintains stable humidity much better than one with lots of empty space.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I've always heard that you should aim to keep it at 75% of capacity or more. Hell, either way its a good excuse to keep a bunch of sticks on hand!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also heard the fuller the better. Of course, you have to leave a little room for new purchases!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    YankeeMan:
    I've also heard the fuller the better. Of course, you have to leave a little room for new purchases!
    nah, that's what a coolidor is for!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lots of different answers... Mine is pretty damn full, out of a 300 count I probably have 140 or so sticks. I have about 2 spots left on the 2nd layer on the top and room for a 3rd.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    lots of different answers... Mine is pretty damn full, out of a 300 count I probably have 140 or so sticks. I have about 2 spots left on the 2nd layer on the top and room for a 3rd.
    Wait - maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying your 300ct humi is almost full with only 140 sticks in it???
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    tyronect:
    It depends a lot on the cigar's size. From my understanding, you don't want to pack it full because this will decrease air circulation. They need to be loose and not tightly packed together also. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
    I typically rotate my cigars around each week especially bottom to top, works well.
  • Options
    BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    Hays:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wait - maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying your 300ct humi is almost full with only 140 sticks in it???
    I would not be surprised to hear that. I just picked up a 150ct that is pretty packed with about 85 cigars. I had to take the dividers out to be able to fit in that many. I think that if I remove the tray I may get another 15 in there.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    The Humidor count is based off of the old classic cuban size of cigars... Corona. So a 300 count Humidor means 300 Corona size cigars will fit.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have a 90 count that is overflowing at 55 now ...a 60 count for infused that only has about 10 in it now of Java and Tabak Especial - need to remedy that - And a tupperdor with about 50 in it
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Yeah guys I know the stated count numbers of humis are usually pretty off from what they'll actually hold, but a 300ct getting full at 140 sounds kinda extreme...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Yeah guys I know the stated count numbers of humis are usually pretty off from what they'll actually hold, but a 300ct getting full at 140 sounds kinda extreme...

A 300ct Humidor will hold "up to" 300 Corona size cigars (about 5" or 6" x 38/64), but if you don't buy all your cigars in Corona size and buy them in Robusto size or bigger, you are going to only be able to fit maybe half as many cigars. I have quite a few Gurkha's and they are on average 6.5 x 58, that's almost double the size and you have to add in the space that the Humidification device, hygrometer, and any dividers will consume.