Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What do you feed your dog?

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have only one dog at this time. Maybe more in the future as we have had up to four in the past. Our dog eats pretty good. Lady gets breakfast after a walk in the woods and supper after another walk. She gets one cup of Paul Newman's fancy dry food with a small amount ground turkey, some green beans (green beans are good for dogs and our garden produced a bumber crop) with a little olive oil. Two times a day. I just finished cooing up two packages for ground turkey for this week. Lady has put on about 10 pounds but she was really thin when we got her at our shelter. So, what do you all feed your dogs? Sometimes they eat better than us.

Comments

• Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Taste of the wild for my dags. They love it and it keeps their skin clear.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I feed her Kirkland (costco) mature dog food. Any deviation causes stomach issues and hair loss. It took us a few months to work it out. She was a rescue so we keep her to a strict diet.
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Taste of the wild. I do stay away from the salmom version. Causes gas. Check out wag.com It has superb reviews. Try not to go too high on protein such as orijen. Taste of the wild prarie is womderful and nothing negative to say.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue Buffalo for large breed pups
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's a bread lover. Any kinda pizza crust, toast, or what not. Bearswatter's always scolding me for pitching her bits of food under the table. That's what friends are for.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue Buffalo, wet and dry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Wellness Core for Large Breeds
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    same thing we eat. If we wouldnt eat it, she doesnt have to either.

Her favorite is re-fried beans.

Aj
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taste of the Wild for my dogs. Right now I am using the Sierra Mountains blend (lamb) but the High Prairie (bison) has also always been a favorite of my dogs. I never give them table scraps. I do occasionally let them have some blueberries and apples.

This is a high protein food so for my just under 70lb lab he eats about 3.5 cups of food a day and sometimes he doesnt eat all of it. Its a bit pricier but well worth it as a good quality food helps keep vet bills down.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as store bought and with so many to feed we get what we can afford but we avoid anything made in China. Treats are as natural as we can find, and when Sam's has the real fruit and veggie stuff we stock up, again avoiding anything from China. They get lots of table scraps including all the soft cartilage from chicken. No bones but lots of nuts and especially pistachios. There is a persimmon tree or two on the property that when the fruit drops they get everyone. We hide rice, green beans and carrots in chicken broth and pour it over the dry food. And I don't dare eat fried eggs and sausage or scrapple with out sharing.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    99% of the time she'll only eat 1 bowl of food in the evening, at dinner time.
    (But we always leave a bowl full of dry kibble down in case she's hungry)

We give her:
    Nature's Recipe (by Del Monte) // Large Breed // Grain-Free // Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin
    mixed with:
    Homemade canned wet food // Poached "home-grown" chickens from in-laws farm // veggies/fruit (celery, potato, green beans, apples, etc just depends on what we have in the fridge) // add some homemade chicken broth/stock for moisture // mixture gets finely chopped in the food processor and canned (either processed or frozen).

Oh, and don't forget the table scraps, rawhide bones, treats (she loves raw wing tips from chicken wings)......
    (Nothing from China)

yes, she eats better than I do most days, lol

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    And jgibv reminded me that they love butternut squash, pumpkin and watermelon of which there is always an abundance.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Venison, elk and any dog food without corn. He's allergic to it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    They always have access to a constant supply of Activa (lamb/chicken/meat rotation). They only eat when they want to. Other than that, they usually get some type of table scraps when we eat. I usually cook a wee bit more of whatever meat dish I'm making so they get a couple swallows of it each.

When we take our vitamins at night, they each get a training treat from us. They come running at bedtime when they hear the pill bottles shaking around. On the weekends as I'm enjoying a smoke, they get this treat called a pizzle. a cork screw looking natural form of rawhide or something. Some part from the pig that isn't edible by us apparently. They love it. Takes them about 10 minutes to eat it. Every morning at wake up they each get a dental type of treat.

I installed a doggy door that leads to the back yard. Pretty convenient for our week long excursions sometimes. Just make sure the automatic feeder and water is loaded, they take care of their potty functions on their own.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my brothers and his wife raise miniature schnauzers. The vast majority of what he feeds them is raw chicken necks. They also get some veggies. He buys a few hundred lbs of necks at a time.
  • Options
    0patience:
    Venison, elk and any dog food without corn. He's allergic to it.

I will guard your house for Venison and Elk.
  • Options
    johncieerajohncieera Posts: 7
    I usually go with the dog food and I follow these amazing tips given to me though http://www.elucidgent.com/