Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Free online language tutors?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Im looking to learn Scottish Gaelic... Anyone know of a good online language tutor? I looked online and found a couple "useful phrases" sites but I wanna try to become fluent.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosetta Stone..? Saw it advertised on the tube, don't remember the specifics.
  • Options
    Ive been considering the Rosetta Stone program. Anyone have experience with it?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "free online" --- probably not for scottish. most of the free sites like duolingo focus on the "bigger" languages i.e. spanish, french, german.
    never seen scottish as a choice on any of them.
    there's a handful of sites that focus on east asian languages too.

try your local library, they might have some good resources.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used an earlier version and it is helpful for learning a language, but Gaelic isn't a very spoken language. If you do learn Gaelic, it might be hard to find someone else who speaks it and not practicing a language is the fastest way to lose the skill.
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    I've used an earlier version and it is helpful for learning a language, but Gaelic isn't a very spoken language. If you do learn Gaelic, it might be hard to find someone else who speaks it and not practicing a language is the fastest way to lose the skill.

I might have better luck just developing a Scottish accent then huh? lol I honestly would love to pick up a bunch of phrases to use regularly but really want to learn it in a whole. But like you said who would I speak Gaelic with?
  • Options
    I use to speak French pretty well, but since I have no one to speak it with, its basically gone to rot. If it is a passion of yours to learn Gaelic, you should. Learning a second language has other benefits associated with it, like cognitive function and memory.
  • Options
    Been Watchin some YouTube videos on Gaelic for beginners.... Holy eff. Lol the written vs pronunciation is so completely different! Beautiful language but confusing as crap!
  • Options
    I had started the Rosetta Stone for Japanese and felt the same way.
  • Options
    Found a couple apps for my phone and have learned a few things... One thing ive learned is nothing sounds like it looks AND this is how you say "please" - "Mas e do Thoile E".... that's a lot for please