Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Who likes FRUITCAKE?

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who likes FRUITCAKE? is not a strange question at all. My mother use to start preparing her fruitcakes in January to be handed out the following Christmas (should I have said December?) and I always happily anticipated getting one. Every month or so she would take them out of the closet and anoint them with different types of booze and she did this for the whole year.

And every year I would listen to Johnny Carson's famous 15 minute monolog about how bad they were. I can't be the only one who likes the things.

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All us fruitcakes like fruitcakes.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    My mom gets me one every year and I'm the only one that I know of in the extended family (nearly 50 people) that likes em.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Hey JD,

We do agree on this, I love fruitcake, and Im the only one in my family who will eat it. I don't get it that much!!
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    flowbee:
    Hey JD,

We do agree on this, I love fruitcake, and Im the only one in my family who will eat it. I don't get it that much!!
    I'm in the same boat great stuff, but there never is one around, due to others not enjoying it.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Me. Some. A little. If it's good.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fruitcakes are great. And handy, too. With enough of them and some mortar mix you can build a nifty fire pit or barbecue pit..... LOL. ??
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I have never had a genuine one.... just the canned versions and they were not anything to write home about. Id like to try a real one some time.

Aj
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    I have never had a genuine one.... just the canned versions and they were not anything to write home about. Id like to try a real one some time.

Aj

Canned...??? OMG, that had to be awful. I'm gonna find one and send it to you. What a terrible life you must have had. It does remind me of the first care package I got when I was overseas, it had a canned chicken, which is probably still in the hole we buried it in. OMG...canned fruitcake...that should be against the law.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj

Canned...??? OMG, that had to be awful. I'm gonna find one and send it to you. What a terrible life you must have had. It does remind me of the first care package I got when I was overseas, it had a canned chicken, which is probably still in the hole we buried it in. OMG...canned fruitcake...that should be against the law.
    Fruitcake not common down here in the desert... I had really only ever seen it on TV and heard the silly jokes about how terrible it was. Yup my canned fruitcake came in an overseas care package during my first christmas deployed. It actually wasnt that bad... but i wouldnt go out of my way to buy it. Now canned chicken........... delicous! I still eat that all the time. In fact I might pop me a can for snacky time! Yum :)

Aj