Home Cigar 101
Options

what cigars to purchase?

shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
so i received a mail in rebate for $150 and i am looking to purchase some cigars - i have been into the hobby for about 4 months and this will be my largest purchase to date. so far my fav cigars that i have tried are rp vintage 1990, nica libre, cao brazilia, and the a fernandez sig line. i tend to like a medium-full bodied cigar. what would be some recommendations? i am thinking about buying a couple dotd packs with the order and maybe some of the house brazilian labels. i am interested in trying something in the 5 vegas and perdomo lines - also, any recommendations for moderately priced boxed purchases? thanks for the info.

Comments

• Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    In the normal 5 Vegas lineup, the 'A' series and Miami are both great, fuller smokes. I've smoked several Alec Bradley MAXX's recently that were also good. I have several Perdomos resting, but haven't ever tried one. I should have bought more than one of each, I always seem to smoke what I have at least two of.
    The Brazilian house label sticks are worth it, for sure.
    I haven't tried them yet, but the Diesel boxes are $100 for a 30 count, I've been talking myself out of buying a box every time I order since they started selling them. I'm sure someone on the boards has tried them and could yea or nay. Is that moderate? $3.33/stick seems like a deal to me!

Either way, let us know what you end up going with!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you're fairly new, why don't you try one of the major sampler offers at ccom? That will give you the opportunity to try several before you buy a box of something you may not enjoy. What's a good smoke to one person may not be to another.

Think of all the fun you'll have trying to find a favorite.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    For box purchases, go with the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, you can normally get them for between $40-$60. If you dig the Nica Libre, I'm almost certain you'll like them. The Nica Libres are another one that would make a good box purchase too though, I believe they are around the same price. You said you liked the AJ Fernandez signature line, I highly reccomend the Diesels as well then. Boxes of 30 are $100, not too bad of a price on those. Or even if you just get a 5-pack or whatever, you really should give those a try. Definately give the ccom Brazilian label a whirl too, and based on the other cigars you said you like, I would go with the 5 Vegas A for the 5 Vegas line. As far as Perdomo, the ESV's are my favorite from them, and you can get a bundle of the 2nds for around $40 if I remember right. So, for $150 you could get a box of IT Super Fuerte or Nica Libres, a bundle of Perdomo ESV 2nds, and a few each of 5 Vegas A, Diesels, and Ccom Brazilian Labels.
  • Options
    thanks for all of the input so far ... i can prob fit another 20-30 cigars in my humi but i can make some room for more in the mean time. i think i am going to call in this order since i have heard some great things about ordering this way compared to online ordering - except i noticed you do get a free sampler with an order of $125 or more
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    shamrocked:
    thanks for all of the input so far ... i can prob fit another 20-30 cigars in my humi but i can make some room for more in the mean time. i think i am going to call in this order since i have heard some great things about ordering this way compared to online ordering - except i noticed you do get a free sampler with an order of $125 or more
    If I had $150, I'd go with two build-your-own samplers ($49.95 each if you get two) and a bundle of RP vintage 92 segundos.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Ashton VSG's should be on your list.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Definitely call your order in. Jeff is the man. :)

Definitely try the Diesels if you like the A. Fernandez line. And if you really want to knock your socks off, try out the Man o War Ruination. Powerhouse. If you beg, maybe Jeff can knock a couple bucks off of them for you. Oliva Series V - so delicious. Tatuaje Havana VI is a must try - one of my favs. Anything from Don Pepin Garcia - the Cubao blew me away last weekend. The Cuban Classic is a strong, nutty cigar. Hmmm, all great suggestions in this thread so far.
  • Options
    The A. Fernandez Signature is definently one of my favorite cigars as well, so I would probably reccommend Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label and Cuban Classic, and Oliva Serie V. If I were you I would probably go for the new Diesels as well. I haven't had one yet but I hear they're great.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sancho panza extra fuerte. you will not be let down.
  • Options
    thanks for all of the suggestions so far -- i am going to try calling today but it is hard to make it in time with work and not getting off until right before they close (i am on pst) - i am thinking about two of the daily deal packs today - some ccom brazilian labels, diesels, a tin of the cao mx2, and then up in the air still on don pepin, other a fernandez lines, oliva, and maybe some more cao tins - just because i might want some quicker smokes with fall/winter coming up
  • Options
    okay so ended up calling and making my purchase today ... this is what i decided on - 1 tin of cao brazilia 4x38, 1 tin of cao mx2 4x38, 5 diesels, 5 sancho panza extra fuertes, 2 5 vegas limitada 2009 daily deals, and a punch cutter - didn't end up spending all $150 but thanks for everyones input
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya done good!