Home General Discussion

AJ cigar issues

I used to be a big no make that huge AJ Fernandez fan. I still love his blends but it seems more often than not they have build/construction issues of some sort. Take the 5 Vegas AAA I'm working on right now. Looked great, light up nicely but 10 puffs in a hunk of tobacco stem literally tore the wrapper falling out of the foot and when that happened the draw opened up to where it feels like I'm drawing through a slushee straw its so bad.

I don't know if you can see it in these pictures.

this is far from the first problem I've had with these blends. Last San lotano oval I had was so bad that half the cigar east burning. It looked like a Popsicle someone took a bite out of the side of. I know that aj's blends are inexpensive and its something that he is known for doing and I applaud him for that but I'm just tired of the bad quality control. When 4 of the last 5 cigars I've had that were aj blends had issues its more than a little irritating and disheartening. Is it just my shoddy luck or are others having the same troubles?

Comments

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    All 6.8 inches of this guy burned cool and even. It also smacked of class and fresh ground coffee with MoW's signature chocolatey / peaty finish. AJ's best IMO.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    The only problems I've had were with the fresh rolled but what can I expect from a less than 2 dollar smoke, how are your humidity levels?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'm an expert witness on AJ sticks. Solid price, construction and flavor. However, I've never hand any luck with 5V...either burn wonky or plugged, to the point I don't buy em.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not the biggest AJ ho by any means, but I've not noticed a construction issue with his sticks anymore than any other blender. I would guess just a string of bad luck.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    I used to be a big no make that huge AJ Fernandez fan. I still love his blends but it seems more often than not they have build/construction issues of some sort. Take the 5 Vegas AAA I'm working on right now. Looked great, light up nicely but 10 puffs in a hunk of tobacco stem literally tore the wrapper falling out of the foot and when that happened the draw opened up to where it feels like I'm drawing through a slushee straw its so bad.

I don't know if you can see it in these pictures.

this is far from the first problem I've had with these blends. Last San lotano oval I had was so bad that half the cigar east burning. It looked like a Popsicle someone took a bite out of the side of. I know that aj's blends are inexpensive and its something that he is known for doing and I applaud him for that but I'm just tired of the bad quality control. When 4 of the last 5 cigars I've had that were aj blends had issues its more than a little irritating and disheartening. Is it just my shoddy luck or are others having the same troubles?
    I hope it's a fluke. I just bought a DD ten pack of 5 Vegas "A"s a few weeks back. And I'm sure I have some older "A"s rolling around in the bottom of the cooler too. And to be precise, Isn't your cigar in your pic the single A, and not the triple A? Don't remember if I've had the "AAA". I like the single "A" but, I don't think AJ blended the single "A" anyway, did he? (Edit: Sorry. Nevermind. I didn't realize that the main band on both the A and AAA were identical.)
    Oh, and God disapproves of this thread.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Oh, and God disapproves of this thread.
    Did all those wires give you better reception for conveyance of said dissaproval?
    Nah, just gave me a crappy night's sleep.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I can feel the hate. I blame rain its all his fault... But hopefully it is just a long string of bad luck for me, but I think I'll avoid my other aj sticks for a little while.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Bob Luken:
    I hope it's a fluke. I just bought a DD ten pack of 5 Vegas "A"s a few weeks back. And I'm sure I have some older "A"s rolling around in the bottom of the cooler too. And to be precise, Isn't your cigar in your pic the single A, and not the triple A? Don't remember if I've had the "AAA". I like the single "A" but, I don't think AJ blended the single "A" anyway, did he? (Edit: Sorry. Nevermind. I didn't realize that the main band on both the A and AAA were identical.)
    Out of the 25+ AAA's I've had this is only the second I've had issues with, and I was given this one about two years ago.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    A cigar is man made! Not one will be the exact same and yeah there are some duds out there from every line. Now if aj rolled them himself for you then I can see the point but the fact is aj blends! This does not mean everything he's had a hand in comes from the same factory. I'm not a huge aj fan but think that he does make a good corona!
    Money can't buy taste
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    The idea of conceptualizing a cigar from blending tobaccos to the specific packaging, sizing, and pricing is so foreign to us mortals. I'm just glad there are quality Nicaraguan sticks coming out regularly that I can afford.

To be fair, at least 3 AJ blends I have really liked, I did not know were his before smoking them. Quality and construction are 99% perfect, you just need to find your preferred taste / body strength and I 'll bet he has the perfect stick already made for you. Never have issues with burn.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico