Home General Discussion

Does the price tag fit?

2»

Comments

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    youngryan216:
    Sidenote: I can't seem to find the 2000 on the site. Am I missing something?

Search skills.

1. Go to cigar.com
    2. Type "davidoff 2000" in the search bar
    3. Click the search button
    4. Click on the first result
    Easy there pimp. . .I was confused because it only says "Thousand series".
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    youngryan216:
    allsmokedup:
    youngryan216:
    Sidenote: I can't seem to find the 2000 on the site. Am I missing something?

Search skills.

1. Go to cigar.com
    2. Type "davidoff 2000" in the search bar
    3. Click the search button
    4. Click on the first result
    Easy there pimp. . .I was confused because it only says "Thousand series".

Next time, try to search before asking questions that are already answered with a modicum of effort. If I was a pimp, I would have surely slapped you harder.... You're fortunate that this forum is awfully forgiving of indolence.
    I did search and I asked because I was confused at what I saw initially. I admit I don't know anything about Davidoff - that's why I was trying to clarify. Kuzi has always been an understanding guy with me in all our interactions, didn't mean to waste his time.

If you have a problem with people asking questions about cigars I think you might be in the wrong place. Why are you attacking me needlessly? Actually, nevermind. I don't care. Happy trolling.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite brand is Viaje and is almost exclusively only brick and mortar. I know Ccom and a sister company had an exclusive available one time. Viaje is anywhere from $9 to $12 (sometimes more) and then of course taxes. I enjoy them all and don't mind paying for them. I know what they will cost me and I know I won't be disappointed so for me it isn't the price tag it is the availability. Being limited production boutique cigars I generally have to act fast to get what I want. They can be hunted down and found but that can be frustrating and I have paid premium for really hard to find sticks. Several B&Ms do offer online sales but discounts are hard to come by.

There are plenty of other great cigars that are under that price to be had. If I am shopping any other brand I tend to check and buy online. If I am enjoying the hospitality of the B&M I am buying 1 or 2 sticks even if they do not have my go to. I will search the shop for the hard to find stuff.

It is hard to beat online prices but it sure is nice having a local B&M to visit and enjoy. I just try to find a balance because I want a great deal and I want a place to hang out and attend events.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is how I look at it... at a B&M I am paying for the experience and the place to smoke when it's -10 outside. My tobacconist is very good at what he does and has become my friend over the years. Very much worth the price tag.
    Agreed. Ohio winter is not favorable for cigar enthusiasts. What tobacconist do you go to in our fine state?
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Crap, i double posted. Um...anyone had a Julius Caesar or Diamond Crown and been satisfied with the amount spent?
    I missed this when I posted before (probably because I was so focused on the Oliva hatred).

Yes

My Diamond Crown Maximus fell apart on me, but still tasted good. The JC is one of my favorite cigars. I got it in a sampler from March Madness and was quite happy with the price I paid.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the JC also. Don't buy them except for special occasions, but good nonetheless. I think they are worth it, but my budget doesn't! Charlie
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    0patience:
    I never think about whether a cigar is worth the price.
    I do consider whether I will buy it again.
    You'll drive yourself crazy if you put monetary value on cigars.
    Wait until you find your unicorn cigars and find out that you paid an inflated price for a cigar that you had too high of expectations on. LOL!

The "unicorn" concept is what I'm getting at here. I'm trying to see if other guys have overpaid on a hyped up stick ( cough...The Banker...cough) and wanted to share their experience. Monetary value is very subjective, but you always know when you've been let down.

I've spent some good dough on a couple singles before as they were unicorns to me, anywhere between $30-$75 for a single. So far they have all met or exceeded my expectations. Though I will say this, had a Behike 54 courtesy of Greg Da Bear last December at the Chi-Herf. It was a unicorn and I had bought one and been gifted one and had sent both away before smoking to a couple brothers who I felt deserved them more than me. So when I finally smoked one the first half was a serious let down, decent stick but nothing special and I nearly tossed it... So glad I didn't because the second half was one of the all time best smokes I've ever had.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I want to try my first CC this summer when I get to Canada, but I know the prices are pretty crazy from what people say.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    I want to try my first CC this summer when I get to Canada, but I know the prices are pretty crazy from what people say.
    Yeah taxes and tariffs suck. I think mostly the hype of CCs is the mystique and hype around them but they do have a unique taste as well.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    youngryan216:
    Yeah taxes and tariffs suck. I think mostly the hype of CCs is the mystique and hype around them but they do have a unique taste as well.
    i will agree that cc's are extremely hyped up! They are really good and I like them a lot...to me the problem is inflated prices! A lot of guys will sell you a $10 smoke for twice the price. So really in your mind your thinking it better be worth it...well it could be but it probably will not. If you can get them at msrp they are worth every penny and you won't be disappointed but always buy from a trusted source or you'll be sorry and mad
    Money can't buy taste
    PM sent
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    youngryan216:
    I did search and I asked because I was confused at what I saw initially. I admit I don't know anything about Davidoff - that's why I was trying to clarify. Kuzi has always been an understanding guy with me in all our interactions, didn't mean to waste his time.

If you have a problem with people asking questions about cigars I think you might be in the wrong place. Why are you attacking me needlessly? Actually, nevermind. I don't care. Happy trolling.

I'm an assh0le through and through. I call it like it is. You're just lazy and like being spoonfed. If you have the sack, just insult andor rebut me in public. But, I don't care anyway either.
    idiotresponse
    $6-7 at the B&M and worth every penny.
    youngryan216:
    I will never smoke one again. May not be their fault, they taste good, but every time I've smoked one, I've puked later.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel:
    youngryan216:
    I will never smoke one again. May not be their fault, they taste good, but every time I've smoked one, I've puked later.

What?!?! This is probably about the mildest cigar I really enjoy on a regular basis. Did you have problems with the Connie or the puro? The Connie (as pictured) is a touch lighter in body than the habano / puro version.

Maybe if you tried the churchill before , give the robusto a shot. I am baffled by this, but hey, different strokes. . .
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    rsherman24:
    youngryan216:
    Alright then, I'm down in that case. I'll smoke one next special occasion. Which one should I pop my Davidoff cherry with?

LOL. Easy now. You need to use your own judgement if you want to spend the money and try one. If you are a MOW fan, you may hate the Davidoff. They are more on the mild side so you may be better off with a high end Padron (also well worth the money in my opinion). This is a very subjective hobby so if you run out and buy every cigar someone tells you is good, you will spend a lot of money on cigars to find a few you like. Find someone with similar taste or a reviewer who you agree with. Talk to guys at your B&M and see what they buy.
    I too am a davidoff fan. but i agree with all the advice given here. i know that im in the minority with padron but since everyone else likes them there is a good chance you will as well.

i dont think you should "pop you Davidoff cherry" with a Davidoff.

try an Avo XO, or an Avo Classic. those two are a bit cheaper but have the classic Hendrik Kelner blending style. they also have the same quality as Davidoff because they are firsts.

if you dont care about quality and think its worth risking a bad burn (though i have yet to see any) try the 3x3s or the 4x4s that you cna get on this site. they are Davidoff "seconds". i mean, they arent "true seconds". they are the cigars that the new rollers make to learn how to make cigars. they have the classic Davidoff blending style as well. If you like any of those cigars then you may like Davidoff.

as far as what Actual Davidoff you should try first...

the Davidoff 2000.
    its inexpensive for the brand and is fantastic. if you dont have access to them then go to the Millennium Blend, then the classic blend

if you like fuller cigars and you are still interested in Davidoff then check out the Davidoff Nicargua, or the Davidoff Maduro (one of my all time favorite cigars)

just stick to the regular production Davidoff lines. the LEs are not a big step up in quality but they are a huge step up in price tag.
    Damn, Sherman & Kuzi...you guys are good.

I'm a fan of MoW and your comments concerning mild sticks and AVO XO are spot on.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
    youngryan216:
    Martel:
    youngryan216:

What?!?! This is probably about the mildest cigar I really enjoy on a regular basis. Did you have problems with the Connie or the puro? The Connie (as pictured) is a touch lighter in body than the habano / puro version.

Maybe if you tried the churchill before , give the robusto a shot. I am baffled by this, but hey, different strokes. . .

Robusto every time; tried both Habano and Maduro wrappers multiple times, Connie once. The Habano was the first real cigar I smoked that I can say I smoked (had a few before, but don't have any idea what they were), and I was traveling when I smoked it. Lot's of restaurant and airport food plus a swim in the Atlantic Ocean. I've revisited it a couple of times. Once was when I decided to really try to get into smoking, and I smoked it on New Year's Eve...

In all reality there's probably extenuating circumstances for the puking each time I've had one. Now it's just guilt by association.

But calling the Lot 23 mild isn't something I'd consider doing. I've never found it mild compared to Avo, Oliva CT Reserve, San Cristobal, or a number of others. I've always thought they had some kick.

Sorry to hear about your troubles brother Martel. It's always interesting to compare the perceived "strength" of a stick to others' tastes. When I first started smoking I couldn't get enough Connies, but now I only fire one up occasionally. Sometimes they seem more mild to me because of MoW. FTW. Hahahh
    youngryan216:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles brother Martel. It's always interesting to compare the perceived "strength" of a stick to others' tastes. When I first started smoking I couldn't get enough Connies, but now I only fire one up occasionally. Sometimes they seem more mild to me because of MoW. FTW. Hahahh
    I am an equal opportunity smoker. Some Connies are among my favorite smokes, but there's quite a few Habano and Maduro wrappers on that list, too. But yeah, too many Little Devils will kill your taste buds.