Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Congratulations, Republicans!

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
In the spirit of (temporary) ecumenicalism, I congratulate the Republican Party for taking advantage of the usual mid-second-presidential-term party shift to add to their majority in the House, win back the Senate and grab a bunch of governorships. Certainly, voters were expressing with their ballots their disapproval of President Obama (who has certainly earned it in his second term, even among his longtime supporters) and the Democrats, but the Republicans did an excellent job of conveying their message to voters and getting their constituencies to the polls, when they could have easily just have stayed at home in disgust. The Democrats not only failed to get their voters out like they did in 2012, but they ran an absolutely shoddy campaign based on a "Obama? Who's that guy?" tactic that fooled nobody. And even though the Republican voter idea laws kept thousands of long-term voters (particularly in Florida) from being able to vote, the GOP margins of victory were wide enough that the disenfranchised would have had no results on the outcomes.

Even here in looney liberal Massachusetts, we returned to a tradition of electing a Republican governor (albeit one far more liberal than the GOP mainstream), although part of his victory has to be attributed to the fact his Democratic opponent, Martha Coakley, is one of most unlikeable people (I voted for her twice and I despise her.) in Massachusetts politics. A number of Republicans won seats in our traditionally Democratic heavy legislature, and most of the "liberal-oriented" ballot initiatives failed to pass.

The only bright spot for us Democrats is that fact that New Hampshire voters wisely decided to keep Democratic Senator Jean Shaheen instead of giving carpetbagger and Playgirl empty suit Scott Brown another term.

While many Democrats may be renting their garments over these results, I'm not. Change in power and political control is a healthy thing. Over the past 30 years or so the pendulum has swung back and forth, and that's good for the country. The way it is now, Congress won't be able to get anything meaningful enacted unless they're willing to compromise with Senate Democrats to create a veto-proof majority. Obama is truly a lame duck president, just like Bush was in 2006 and Clinton in 1998, and will get nothing done either. Republicans should relish their victory now, but they'll need to put some kinds of achievements on the plates if they want to make a convincing case for staying in power and regaining the presidency in 2016, given that the Democrats will be galvanizing the same younger, minority and women voters who elected Obama to support their candidates.

We shall see.

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I know that I have only been around 29 years, but I feel like voting is just choosing the lesser of two evils. And it doems that neither side will do what they say that they will do, but once they are in they decide on a whole new way to go. And it looks like it is getting worse every year.

I dont follow politics, cuz it pisses me off, however if there were more stories about how politicians were keeping the promises made to their states, and actually doing some good somewhere, I may pay more attention.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    I know that I have only been around 29 years, but I feel like voting is just choosing the lesser of two evils. And it doems that neither side will do what they say that they will do, but once they are in they decide on a whole new way to go. And it looks like it is getting worse every year. .
    Libertarians won nearly 2% of the vote here in Dull-Aware. I truly believe they would do exactly what they say if given the chance. I truly believe they will never be given the chance. Why? Because the other 98% are convinced that their only choice is the lesser of two evils.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    roland_7707:
    I know that I have only been around 29 years, but I feel like voting is just choosing the lesser of two evils. And it doems that neither side will do what they say that they will do, but once they are in they decide on a whole new way to go. And it looks like it is getting worse every year. .
    Libertarians won nearly 2% of the vote here in Dull-Aware. I truly believe they would do exactly what they say if given the chance. I truly believe they will never be given the chance. Why? Because the other 98% are convinced that their only choice is the lesser of two evils.

well said.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    roland_7707:

I am inclined to believe what you posted. But, all they do now is take away votes from the lesser of two evils. Would that they join the party of lesser evil, and get their foot in the door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    jd50ae:
    webmost:
    roland_7707:

I am inclined to believe what you posted. But, all they do now is take away votes from the lesser of two evils. Would that they join the party of lesser evil, and get their foot in the door.
    The problem is they can't get in unless they themselves become evil (think corruption) based on the setup of the system. A complete rebuild is needed before some actual beneficial work commences.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    jd50ae:
    webmost:
    roland_7707:

The problem is they can't get in unless they themselves become evil (think corruption) based on the setup of the system. A complete rebuild is needed before some actual beneficial work commences.
    To destroy the monster, one becomes the monster. Sigh......:(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Obama: "To everyone who voted, I want you to know that I hear you. To the TWO THIRDS of voters who chose not to participate in the process yesterday, I hear you too."

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Obama: "To everyone who voted, I want you to know that I hear you. To the TWO THIRDS of voters who chose not to participate in the process yesterday, I hear you too."

You mean one third of registered voters actually VOTED this year? That's MUCH higher than usual for a mid-term year.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    webmost:

You mean one third of registered voters actually VOTED this year? That's MUCH higher than usual for a mid-term year.
    No, what I mean is, Our Favorite Fascist believes he received a landslide mandate from those who did not vote. He's gonna reign by Executive Order. Watch.

• Options
    webmost:
    raisindot:
    webmost:

No, what I mean is, Our Favorite Fascist believes he received a landslide mandate from those who did not vote. He's gonna reign by Executive Order. Watch.

He has already ordered 35,000,000 green cards to be printed. One would hope that the new elects have the nads to stop him.
  • Options
    webmost:
    raisindot:
    webmost:

I know what you meant. And I agree with the part you said about him reigning by executive order.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    He has already ordered 35,000,000 green cards to be printed. One would hope that the new elects have the nads to stop him.
    Exactly which part of anything which has happened so far would lead you to that hope? All the Left have to do is yell "racist!" to render their Favorite Fascist untouchable.

• Options
    webmost:
    jd50ae:
    Exactly which part of anything which has happened so far would lead you to that hope? All the Left have to do is yell "racist!" to render their Favorite Fascist untouchable.

Temporary meds euphoria.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    raisindot:
    webmost:

Are you being serious?

I'm pretty sure that he meant that democrats didn't get out to vote because they are unhappy with his leadership and will do what he can to change it in the next 2 years. (not that he will, but i don't think he took the fact that only an estimated 14-18% of democrats came out to vote as a mandate that he can keep on doing what he is doing)
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    Are you being serious?

I'm pretty sure that he meant that democrats didn't get out to vote because they are unhappy with his leadership and will do what he can to change it in the next 2 years. (not that he will, but i don't think he took the fact that only an estimated 14-18% of democrats came out to vote as a mandate that he can keep on doing what he is doing)

That's how I interpreted Obama's statement. He's acknowledging that just about everyone across the spectrum is p****d off with him. Just as everyone was with Bush I in '90, Clinton in '98 and Bush II in '06.