Home General Discussion

Ordered the new Gurkha...

WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
The new Classic from the splash screen's new arrivals. Figurado. Ordered a single. Should arrive today. Looking forward to it.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    RIP
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    San Andres wrapper....hope it's good!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly hope its an improvement over the rest. I mean for your sake....well...its only one.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    since I have been really getting many different types of sticks and gurkha was my go to stick for a long time. Most of my sampler order where Gurkha but as I tried more sticks I found Gurkha to have a consistency ISSUE. it was wow nice stick then same stick the next time there was something wrong. this happed repeatedly now after listening to other BOTL here talk about them I understand why now.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    I had this the other day and it was pretty good. Good luck, with whatever new one it is, you never know unless you try.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I know I know. :-)

But here are my random thoughts on Gurkhas:

Yes, if you buy the cheap Gurkhas, you will find inconsitencies galore. Burn issues. Wrapping issues. Canoing. Tunelling. Rolling up like a condom. What? Never happened to you?

I haven't met a Gurkha whose taste was crap. I have enjoyed pretty much all. Except the Park Ave. Too light for me. But still didn't taste like crap.

When I have bought Gurkhas that sold by the mazo for $20-60, I would call them cheapies. Subject to the aforementioned problems. You get what you pay for, and in many instances, you can get cheaper smokes that taste/burn much better. GH Vintages for example. Or any GH, really. Much more bank for the buck than most Gurkhas.

When I have smoked Gurkhas that sell for $100-150 for a box, I've found them to be really good. Consistently. And I'm talking the ones that ccom or some other purveyor of fine cigars online (are there any other than ccom?) sell for over $100. Gods know the raping you get with Gurkhas if you buy them at a B&M.

Having said all that, I am looking forward to this Gurkha, as it seems to be in the higher end field of these guys, which is what gives me hope.

And like someone else said... if not, at least I only bought one!
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    WaltBasil:
    I know I know. :-)

But here are my random thoughts on Gurkhas:

Yes, if you buy the cheap Gurkhas, you will find inconsitencies galore. Burn issues. Wrapping issues. Canoing. Tunelling. Rolling up like a condom. What? Never happened to you?

I haven't met a Gurkha whose taste was crap. I have enjoyed pretty much all. Except the Park Ave. Too light for me. But still didn't taste like crap.

When I have bought Gurkhas that sold by the mazo for $20-60, I would call them cheapies. Subject to the aforementioned problems. You get what you pay for, and in many instances, you can get cheaper smokes that taste/burn much better. GH Vintages for example. Or any GH, really. Much more bank for the buck than most Gurkhas.

When I have smoked Gurkhas that sell for $100-150 for a box, I've found them to be really good. Consistently. And I'm talking the ones that ccom or some other purveyor of fine cigars online (are there any other than ccom?) sell for over $100. Gods know the raping you get with Gurkhas if you buy them at a B&M.

Having said all that, I am looking forward to this Gurkha, as it seems to be in the higher end field of these guys, which is what gives me hope.

And like someone else said... if not, at least I only bought one!
    at the end of the day it only matter to the one who is smoking it and paying for it. I hope you enjoy it
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you for the most part, flavor-wise I have had some good ones, construction-wise not so much, I have actually had several that blew up IN my Humidor. I would guess that my success rate has been no better than 50% and that is probably being generous. I still have some Beauty's, Beast and Cellar Reserve and these have had a flawless burn. Most of what has been problematic have been the figurado's, that being said I successfully smoked a Centurian Sat morning! About halfway it wanted to, it thought about it but finally burned thru it and finished strong. I was so excited! it was like Christmas! I don't hate Gurkha I just won't spend any of my money on then anymore. I truly wish you the best with this new one.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    RCY Cigars:
    I had this the other day and it was pretty good. Good luck, with whatever new one it is, you never know unless you try.
    I think 5 unicorns died that day!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked a Cellar Reserve Prisoner robusto last week and it was pretty good. I learned early to stay away from the bundles.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd put the gurkha ghost as one of my top favs
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the old ancient warrior and I have a 125 anniversary in the humi waiting to try. Some decent smokes, just too many issues and bad ones so I gave up on the brand. Let us know how it is Walt.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Had an 18 cellar reserve last night. Tight stick, but once I cut it properly (took three tries) it was a-ok.

Strong hints of pine, black pepper, tea and tobacco. Good stick

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have quite a few of these left and have enjoyed the 2 that I have had...YMMV