Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 Cameroon

ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
Okay, this is my first review here, but I felt I had to do it. Rocky Patel doesn't seem to be held with the highest esteem in these parts, so I was a bit dubious about trying this Vintage 2003. Quite surprised, I thought it deserved this little write-up.

Quick review: Pretty bloody good!

Detailed review: I love Cameroon wrapped cigars and have been trying to work my way through the different ones that are out there. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from this RP, but right from the start it was a positive experience.
Size: Robusto (5.5"x50).The look of the cigar was okay, nothing too special, but nothing bad either.
The cigar cut and lit nicely. The initial draw was great - exactly what I like from a good Cameroon - toasty, nutty flavors with a little bit of sweetness. There was plenty of thick smoke and the draw was just right.
It quickly settled into a nice smooth experience. Some vanilla and cedar wood flavors were present in the first half. What really impressed me was the construction - look at the photo - it burned perfectly start to finish. And I never had to relight it. Also, it produced three nice long ashes.
The last half wasn't quite as good as the first, with some slightly harsher tones coming in. It was still good and I'm thinking that if I aged it longer than 4 months this might be improved.

Anyways, this RP Vintage 2003 was just about everything I look for in a good Cameroon wrapped cigar. It went well with an afternoon coffee while I sat enjoying the Texas sunshine. I would definitely buy more of these, especially to see how they improve with a year or two of aging.
Thanks for reading! Chem

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review. I like Cameroons also.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The Vintage 2003 is one of my favorite from R.P. I would smoke that one any day. I actually like these better without the aging.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a cameroon fiend, the Vintage 2003 is what I consider the best RP cigar they make.
    The only other cigar of RP that I liked better was the Summer Collection Cameroon, but sadly they are hard to find anymore.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Loved the rps ive had. Have to add this to the list
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I bought a box of these and only have a few left. I find that RPs initial releases are pretty good, but as time goes on, the taste changes. I still have a RP summer blend 2008 and a Winter Blend 2009. Those were really good too.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Have any of you Cameroon lovers tried the new RP Decade Cameroon? Assessments?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I bought a box of these and only have a few left. I find that RPs initial releases are pretty good, but as time goes on, the taste changes. I still have a RP summer blend 2008 and a Winter Blend 2009. Those were really good too.
    As I recall, that Winter Blend 2009 is almost identical to the 2003 Cameroon.. Or should I reverse that comparison ?
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love most rp's ive tried thanks for the review will try to get a couple, usually keep, decade, 1990 and 92 in stock
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Krieg:
    As I recall, that Winter Blend 2009 is almost identical to the 2003 Cameroon.. Or should I reverse that comparison ?
    Not sure how...Winter Blend 09 had a Penn Broadleaf wrapper for one. Blend was more full bodied. The 2012 Winter blend isn't too bad.

"Long ashes my friends."