Home General Discussion
Options

After thought of the photo contest...

Hi all,
I was away camping during the apparent fiasco about VOTER FRAUD over at CO.

In a different forum I belong to (Coin Talk) they run contests all the time. How they run their photo contest is really pretty simple. The person with the "Goodies" significant other rates them all, or theres a behind the scenes vote from three of the forum elders (that are not participating in the contest). I did read the thread Hays created regarding a pay for contest. I am always up for anything regarding art and contests and prizes, but paying to enter a contest, is against the F r e e n e s s of it all. In my humble opinion.

I also wanted to share a picture that would not have been allowed under the rule that it is not my art. (although it is my friends picture)

SF Deli Cigar Art

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    That's an awesome picture Rad..

In regards to your thoughts... I'm not sure how those rules would entirely translate to the forum here. I'm not sure who all would be considered the Elders, for one. Other than that, the only reason I went with the pay format was because it was a way to arrange some awesome prizes that I personally can't sponsor. I guess it could probably work as an ongoing game in the fashion of PIF, which i'm totally up for as well - it's not like i'm making money from the idea. It was just an idea that seemed to get some support, so I went with it.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    oh for sure, I have nothing against that or with you running with the idea.. bravo, all the more power bro.
    In the Coin Talk forum contests usually are generated from folks who can afford to put up a worth-while coin, which has quite a higher value, usually, then a 5 pack of this hobbies finest. I as a newb to both that forum and this forum find myself in a position that you seem to share, an enthusiasm for the hobby and a thirst for knowledge along with the general relaxing attitude that goes with enjoying a cigar.
    Like CO has "sticks" for sale at cheap prices as the more you collect and the more your humidor size grows, you end up being one of those elders, whether your a newb or an old timer. Why? Because you have the expendable income to smoke what you want and have more of the same on hand. In the long run, like myself, I am finding that I could also fund a few giveaways, both in the cigar world and the coin world. However, I am finding it very very hard to part with my duplicate 1904 - O MS63 Morgan dollar... I feel like I hardly know those folks, compared with this forum. Where I have no problems sending out $50 of sticks.

Long story short, after this style runs for a bit, we'll see how it takes and go from there. Maybe you all will get me involved in spite of my first impressions.. who knows.. the shadow knows..

Happy belated Halloween!

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Cool sign, very cool.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    rad1964:
    Hi all,

In a different forum I belong to (Coin Talk) they run contests all the time. How they run their photo contest is really pretty simple. The person with the "Goodies" significant other rates them all, or theres a behind the scenes vote from three of the forum elders (that are not participating in the contest). I did read the thread Hays created regarding a pay for contest. I am always up for anything regarding art and contests and prizes, but paying to enter a contest, is against the F r e e n e s s of it all. In my humble opinion.

I also wanted to share a picture that would not have been allowed under the rule that it is not my art. (although it is my friends picture)

SF Deli Cigar Art

Something about Cigars playing with lighters just doesn't seem right to me
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    rad1964:
    Hi all,

Something about Cigars playing with lighters just doesn't seem right to me
    HAHA yeah that's a little self-destructive
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨