Home Non Cigar Related

Libation recommendations?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I'm hosting a smoker on Black Friday at my buddy's Cigar Lounge to celebrate 51 years on this fair planet. Just some good buddies, fine smokes, cold brews, and maybe a few rounds of poker. I'd like to have some quality beverages on hand, but I'm not much of a whiskey guy. Anybody have any suggestions for good Scotch or Bourbon brands that would complement premiprems and not break the budget? What are your favorite herf lubrications?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Two of the best budget bourbons out there are Buffalo Trace and Bulleit. Both are nice by themselves or mixed into an old fashioned or something similar.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Angels Envy at Bevmo last weekend was $42 (normally$53) , which can't be beat. I've only had the regular Bulliet and I really like it. I buy A.E. when I want to treat myself. This would be a perfect example. I took A bottle of AE to a herf and everyone loved it - we finished the bottle. Scotch - I like glenlivet and The Balvanie (the only two I've had). The 12 years of each are cheap and of the two, I like Glenlivet 12 over the Balvanie 12. Have fun Doug. AE I drink neat and it's wonderful.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with some Glenlivet Scotch, if u want bourbon, try some Woodford. Have fun.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taste is a subjective b I t c h but I've tried both Buffalo Trace and Bulleit and, IMHO, Knob Creek is far better than either of those. Or Bookers - depending on your budget. As for scotch, I'm really partial to Glenmorangie. On sale, it's usually less that $30. You're welcome.... ??
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of Knob Creek. Even have a T-shirt that says "I survived the Drought" from when Knob Creek ran out a few years ago. LOL!
    I'm not much of a drinker, so I want something that is a bit mild (smooth?) and tasty.
    Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I'm a fan of Knob Creek. Even have a T-shirt that says "I survived the Drought" from when Knob Creek ran out a few years ago. LOL!
    I'm not much of a drinker, so I want something that is a bit mild (smooth?) and tasty.
    Just my opinion.
    That. Right there. Knob Creek is so good they ran out of it.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    Can't go wrong with some Glenlivet Scotch, if u want bourbon, try some Woodford. Have fun.
    I second the Glenlivet and maybe a good sipping rum too
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    Angels Envy at Bevmo last weekend was $42 (normally$53) , which can't be beat. I've only had the regular Bulliet and I really like it. I buy A.E. when I want to treat myself. This would be a perfect example. I took A bottle of AE to a herf and everyone loved it - we finished the bottle. Scotch - I like glenlivet and The Balvanie (the only two I've had). The 12 years of each are cheap and of the two, I like Glenlivet 12 over the Balvanie 12. Have fun Doug. AE I drink neat and it's wonderful.
    I'd add Glenfiddich to this list, 12 yr is quite affordable.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I forgot about Knob Creek. Never cared for the Jim Beam line.
    A really good scotch in the 30-40 bottle range is Compass Box Artist's Blend Great King Street. I actually am not a fan at all of the Compass Box distillery, but this one blend is unlike their typical gimmicky stuff and is really very very good.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic recommendations! Thank you, brothers!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of what's said here. I like Eagle Rare which is about $5 more than the Buffalo Trace but made by the same distillery. I'm also partial to Elijah Craig. For scotch I would say the Glenmorangie 12 year is a good start.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Zaya is a crowd pleaser as well...
    Ken Light:
    Two of the best budget bourbons out there are Buffalo Trace and Bulleit. Both are nice by themselves or mixed into an old fashioned or something similar.
    Bulleit is not bourbon, but rye. Very different. However, consider the spicy character of rye makes good mouthwash with leathery cigars.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Ken Light:
    Bulleit is not bourbon, but rye. Very different. However, consider the spicy character of rye makes good mouthwash with leathery cigars.
    Bulleit makes a bourbon and a rye whiskey. Their bourbon is also a rye. I generally lean towards wheated bourbon as opposed to rye because of the spiciness but taste is very subjective.
    D Fresh:
    webmost:
    Ken Light:
    Bulleit makes a bourbon and a rye whiskey. Their bourbon is also a rye. I generally lean towards wheated bourbon as opposed to rye because of the spiciness but taste is very subjective.
    Bulleit only makes a bourbon, with an orange label. They also bottle a rye, with a green label, but they don't make it, it comes from a factory that distributes widely. Same one Angel's Envy uses (though they do barrel it themselves to give it more character). Anyway, Bulleit does use a large amount of rye in their bourbon recipe, but they call it a bourbon so I'm going to use their name for it.
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    webmost:
    Ken Light:
    Bulleit only makes a bourbon, with an orange label. They also bottle a rye, with a green label, but they don't make it, it comes from a factory that distributes widely. Same one Angel's Envy uses (though they do barrel it themselves to give it more character). Anyway, Bulleit does use a large amount of rye in their bourbon recipe, but they call it a bourbon so I'm going to use their name for it.
    Never heard of rye bourbon. I'll have to find some.

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    webmost:
    Ken Light:

Really Bulliet is just a label for friggin Diageo. The Bourbon is made by Four Roses(which interestingly enough is owned by a Japanese company now, Kirin) and the Rye is made in Indiana by MGP who(along with selling base distillate to Angels Envy) doesn't make a single brand of their own but their distillate is found in 15 diffrent labeled bourbons. The world of NDP's get pretty damn twisted. I forget the exact but all bourbon In America is really only made at 1 of 13 distilleries owned by 7 or 8 companies. I digress, sorry, favorite topic of mine... whoever said Woodford... Damn fine reccomendation!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Bulleit is a bit harsh as a sipper for me, but even still it's a staple when I'm in an unfamiliar bar. If you get past their ridiculous "bling" factor, I've found Crown Royal to be a crowd pleaser honestly. Other than that, Oban 14 is a great, approachable Scotch that I think might appeal to a wide palate without being too expensive (around $40 usually).

EDIT: Meant Maker's Mark, not Crown. Good stuff, that.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    Can't go wrong with some Glenlivet Scotch,
    +1 - always a crowd favorite
    Glock1975:
    if u want bourbon, try some Woodford.
    +2 - one of my personal favs. can't go wrong with this one IMO.
    Glock1975:
    Have fun.
    +3 - most important thing right here

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Hays:
    Bulleit is a bit harsh as a sipper for me, but even still it's a staple when I'm in an unfamiliar bar. If you get past their ridiculous "bling" factor, I've found Crown Royal to be a crowd pleaser honestly. Other than that, Oban 14 is a great, approachable Scotch that I think might appeal to a wide palate without being too expensive (around $40 usually).
    Hays! Long time no see. But where on earth do you get Oban for $40? I pay twice that here.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    [Really Bulliet is just a label for friggin Diageo. The Bourbon is made by Four Roses(which interestingly enough is owned by a Japanese company now, Kirin) and the Rye is made in Indiana by MGP who(along with selling base distillate to Angels Envy) doesn't make a single brand of their own but their distillate is found in 15 diffrent labeled bourbons. The world of NDP's get pretty damn twisted. I forget the exact but all bourbon In America is really only made at 1 of 13 distilleries owned by 7 or 8 companies. I digress, sorry, favorite topic of mine... whoever said Woodford... Damn fine reccomendation!
    Ya dont say? Ive learned something new today... maybe i will go back to a cheaper spirit

Aj
    Ken Light:
    Hays:
    Hays! Long time no see. But where on earth do you get Oban for $40? I pay twice that here.
    Eh, I pop in once in a blue moon. Been jonesing for a good smoke lately, and not finding the time I had to get my cigar fix somehow. Anyway, I would've sworn I used to see the Oban at BevMo and Total Wine for around $40, but honestly it's been a few years now and I could be mistaken.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    Ken Light:
    Hays:
    Eh, I pop in once in a blue moon. Been jonesing for a good smoke lately, and not finding the time I had to get my cigar fix somehow. Anyway, I would've sworn I used to see the Oban at BevMo and Total Wine for around $40, but honestly it's been a few years now and I could be mistaken.
    You might be right, those places can't ship spirits to NJ though. ;(
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turned out most of my boys were out of town for the holiday weekend, so it was a smaller party and we just opted for beer. Still great to have a cool place to herf with the gang, especially when the weather is frickin' freezing!

Looks like a good time man! Miss that kind of fun here.