Home General Discussion
Options

Strange...

Last night I was enjoying a Nub Maduro for the first time (extremely enjoyably I might add) While drawing it made a strange sound, the closest thing I could use to explain it is drops of water on a hot burner. Almost a sizzle/hiss noise. I've never noticed this before in any of my smokes and was wondering what the heck caused it?! Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I do NOT mean to alarm you, but I've always been told that it is some impurity in the cigar... I've heard of like an over dried clump of leaf, thick part of a vein.... but most people say it's the tobacco beetle popping...
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    That was my first thought, but it happened with every draw through the whole stick. Plus these came from ccom, and went right into my humidor which maintains 68-72 degrees constantly. Beatles form due to high heat/humidity right?
  • Options
    probably just a good smoke talking back to ya
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    How long was it in your humi? Could be a little fresh.
  • Options
    For me a sizzle hiss hiss means the cigar is very very dry.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I say wet.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    Beatles form due to high heat/humidity right?

Beetles aren't formed or caused by the humidity. It's just that they are able to move around looking for a mate, etc., at 71 degrees or warmer. If you keep your temp below 71 degrees, they can't multiply.

If they're there, whether or not they can move around, they came with a shipment of cigars from somewhere - they didn't just materialize from nothing in your humi because of heat or humidity.

Marty

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    For me a sizzle hiss hiss means the cigar is very very dry.
    ... I'm with Jeff on this one.. I think too dry.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    That was my first thought, but it happened with every draw through the whole stick. Plus these came from ccom, and went right into my humidor which maintains 68-72 degrees constantly. Beatles form due to high heat/humidity right?
    Maybe you had a colony of them....
  • Options
    This has happened to me a few times, It normally doesnt affect the smoke, but I always wonder what it is
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Or it could be little bits of crack that Don Pepin and Lito put in their cigars... that's what makes them sooooo goood!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    well.... i have a few NUB maduros in my humi. its at 65%. ill try and report back soon. I have a feeling that its neither too dry or too wet. its just burning. many things make a crackle or a hiss when they burn. maybe its just the air being drawn into the cigar with some force. do you draw with gusto*? are you normally in a room where there is more noise around where you would miss this if it were to be quiet?

*kinda just wanted to say "gusto"