Home Cigar 101

I have a special request and I am new to cigars

My son is a smart, tough, and really cute Marine.  And yes he is single something I hope changes in the next couple of years.   He smokes cigars.  I want to buy him and my husband cigars that are so damn good it makes a Marine yell OORAH AND DAMN in the same breath.  I need some advice on how to go about this project.  There is no way for me to ask him without him becoming suspicious of my motives.  And rightly so. Expense is not an issue. I  want to present the cigars for a special occasion.  I have been reading posts and realize that taste is up to the smoker.   But is there a way to buy a drop dead wonderful cigar without knowing the particular taste of the smoker?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

As you have gathered there is no simple solution to buying a drop dead wonderful cigar because everyone is different. Asking for cigar suggestions will eventually end up with the entire cigar portfolio being suggested, lol. The best course of action is to try and figure out what cigars the boys like, if at all possible. With that info we can give you much more precise suggestions.

Just shooting in the dark your best bet, I believe, will be to spend a little extra coin and go for some high quality cigars which hit a lot of palates. Some of these might be: Davidoff (many choices), Arturo Fuente Anejo and Fuente Don Carlos and AVO (many choices). These are commonly available online and at cigar shops.

Best of luck and keep posting if you find new info to go on.

In regards to your other thread, no there isn't any other laws to worry about. Except you have to be at least 14 years old to smoke in Maine.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Devildogmom! Thanks to your son for his service and to you and your family for raising a hero. Bigharpoon is right about choosing a quality cigar to fit an individual's taste. There are many expensive cigars that would not please every palate. Is there a local cigar shop that would let you buy a gift certificate that would allow them to pick out some cigars they like? I know that if my mother gave me a free pass to buy cigars I would be thrilled. I'm sure that the good folks here at Cigar.com would be glad to hook you up with an online gift certificate as well.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Two of the best smokes I've had are the padron family reserve 45 maduro and the don carlos gran anixersario! If you can find the don carlos gran anixersario buy them! They are fantastic and not too strong on the nicotine but just right, plus they are a beautiful cigar. They will probably run you around $50-60 a piece but worth every penny
    Money can't buy taste
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Welcome to the forum.

As you have gathered there is no simple solution to buying a drop dead wonderful cigar because everyone is different. Asking for cigar suggestions will eventually end up with the entire cigar portfolio being suggested, lol. The best course of action is to try and figure out what cigars the boys like, if at all possible. With that info we can give you much more precise suggestions.

Just shooting in the dark your best bet, I believe, will be to spend a little extra coin and go for some high quality cigars which hit a lot of palates. Some of these might be: Davidoff (many choices), Arturo Fuente Anejo and Fuente Don Carlos and AVO (many choices). These are commonly available online and at cigar shops.

Best of luck and keep posting if you find new info to go on.

In regards to your other thread, no there isn't any other laws to worry about. Except you have to be at least 14 years old to smoke in Maine.
    +1 on these brands. Check out the gift sets for the Christmas sale. Fuente is incredible.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email Tim Blythe and tell him what you are looking for and what you are looking to spend. He is known as The Beard around these parts and will not steer you wrong. He will hook you up with a great assortment which your son and husband will love.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Two Cigars Come to mind for me, well, actually: One cigar and an entire line of Cigars. Anything Davidoff, and the Ashton ESG. Yes, they are both on the "Super Premium" end and have a higher price tag, but they are exceptional.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    This time of year, go for a box of Arturo Fuente Anejo if price (and storage) is no issue.

You had me worried for a second, though, I thought you were trying to marry off your son with this post. This at would be...kind of tough around here...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Give me his/your address and I'll make him howl. No ****. Don't worry, I'm a medic and honorary corpsman.
  • I must say this is a friendly, helpful website.  I got some great suggestions -  and kudos to the post that suggested a gift card and/or to visit a cigar store.  I appreciate the kind comments as well. My son has been a Marine since 17 and that was tough.  I think I cried for about 3 days.  And why? Because mommy thought he would get picked on in boot camp.  I was way wrong on that one. 

I mentioned his single status because I thought there might be women on the forum.  :)  I think he will find the right one (without my help) as soon as he stays in one place long enough to meet her. 

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. 

The reason the Marines, Navy, Air Force and Army bicker amongst themselves is that they don’t speak the same language. For instance, take the simple phrase “secure the building” Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

The Army will post guards around the place.

The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors.

The Air Force will take out a five-year lease with an option to buy

The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters. Wink [;)] /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ansi-language:EN-CARRIBEAN;}
  • I must say this is a friendly, helpful website.  I got some great suggestions -  and kudos to the post that suggested a gift card and/or to visit a cigar store. I didn’t know cigar stores existed.  I appreciate the kind comments as well. My son has been a Marine since 17 and that was tough.  I think I cried for about 3 days.  And why? Because mommy thought he would get picked on in boot camp.  I was way wrong on that one.

I mentioned his single status because I thought there might be women on the forum.  :)  He will find the right one (without my help) as soon as he stays in one place long enough to meet her.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

The reason the Marines, Navy, Air Force and Army bicker amongst themselves is that they don’t speak the same language. For instance, take the simple phrase “secure the building”

The Air Force will take out a five-year lease with an option to buy

The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters. 

Devildogmom:
    The reason the Marines, Navy, Air Force and Army bicker amongst themselves is that they don’t speak the same language. For instance, take the simple phrase “secure the building”
    The Air Force will take out a five-year lease with an option to buy.
    The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters.

Now that's funny! Good luck with your mission, ma'am!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • I like military jokes. Can you explain to me how to reply to messages so that the code does not show? 

I need help.  I don't understand how I posted twice and how to reply to messages.  I also got a strange message that said since there are no replies the children  will be deleted. 
    If there are instructions I must have missed them.
    Devildogmom:
    I like military jokes. Can you explain to me how to reply to messages so that the code does not show? 

I need help.  I don't understand how I posted twice and how to reply to messages.  I also got a strange message that said since there are no replies the children  will be deleted. 
    If there are instructions I must have missed them.
    If you just hit the reply button, you get a blank space to type your message, but you do have to use basic html code. Check out THIS THREAD for some basic tips.

I have NO IDEA why CCOM forum would delete anybody's children! LOL
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    At one Army base, the annual trip to the rifle range had been canceled for the second year in a row, but the semi-annual physical fitness test was still on as planned. One soldier mused, “Does it bother anyone else that the Army doesn’t seem to care how well we can shoot, but they are extremely interested in how fast we can run?”
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Marine and a Sailor were standing next to each other in the latrine, finishing at the same time the Sailor turned to the sink and the Marine headed for the door, the Sailor called out "In the Navy they teach us to wash our hands" the Marine replied "In the corps they teach us to not piss on our hands"
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your PM's devildogmom.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    A Marine and a Sailor were standing next to each other in the latrine, finishing at the same time the Sailor turned to the sink and the Marine headed for the door, the Sailor called out "In the Navy they teach us to wash our hands" the Marine replied "In the corps they teach us to not piss on our hands"
    if you are trying to wow current cigar smoker i would go with the padron anniv. and Arturo Fuente Anjeo (Shark if you can get a hold of them.)