Home General Discussion

New Holland Dragon's Milk Cigars

youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
image Do you even Dragon's Milk bro?

Super pumped to try these.
ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico

Comments

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    image +1 on the Milk carton design too. I'm probably going to grab one of these tonight if I can convince my woman to drive to the B&M with me.
    $18 a stick ! CRAZY. But if you love Dragon's Milk like I do you know why I'm so excited to try one.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Let me know how they are. One of the cigar bars here is doing an event today with Tom Lazuka of Asylum and Brett VanderKamp from New Holland. Disappointed I can't make it to that!
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Their not on line yet but I have them here. BTW they smell amazing!
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Their not on line yet but I have them here. BTW they smell amazing!
    Are they going to be available through ccom? Possibly under $18 per stick? Please say yes before I drive an hour to and from my B&M and blow my budget to smithereens on these.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im excited about this as well... however, not too keen on "infused" cigars. (even though i know it isnt really infused, just that the tobacco is aged in the barrels that bourbon and beer has been aged in)
    the other negative for me is that it is a very large cigar.

on the other hand, i like the beer quite a bit, and cigars are a given... so... iduno. i may have to get one.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Yes they will be going for $17 a stick.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    im excited about this as well... however, not too keen on "infused" cigars. (even though i know it isnt really infused, just that the tobacco is aged in the barrels that bourbon and beer has been aged in)
    the other negative for me is that it is a very large cigar.

on the other hand, i like the beer quite a bit, and cigars are a given... so... iduno. i may have to get one.
    im with you kuzi although it sounds like a great idea I'm on the fence...I like cognac but I'm still not going to buy the HMR. I do like the anejo and that is aged in barrels so crap! But for $17 a stick I'll wait till someone else smokes one to find out if it's worth the coin.
    Money can't buy taste
    I'm not good at reviews and my palate admittedly is still a work in progress but I'll try to give some general thoughts...
    I really enjoyed this cigar. It's a large cigar and I paired it with both New Holland Dragon's Milk (obvious choice) and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Both are good pairings and I really enjoy both beers although I prefer the cigar with the Bourbon County. Without getting hammered and trying it with other beers I can't imagine a better pairing than the Bourbon County Stout. Can't really go wrong with either though and as always, taste is subjective
    In terms of the cigar, I'm not a fan of infused cigars but this didn't taste like a traditional infused cigars to me. It wasn't until the second third that I started to taste some of the sweetness that I taste in the Dragons Milk beer itself. Predominant flavors for me would be some pepper and charred oak in the first third. Second third has those flavors although the pepper tends to drop off slightly for some maybe more nutty and sweeter flavors. At this point I should point out that construction has been top notch. Perfect draw, no burn issues, and good smoke production. The last third retained a lot of the same flavors as the second third. The sweetness that was there in the second third dropped off a bit for me but the burn remained perfect.image
    Final thoughts...simply put, I liked it. I would definitely recommend it. Price is subjective to each person and while I don't see myself buying a box at the current price point, I would recommend at least trying it and seeing what you think. I understand the cost because of the barrels changing hands but it's just a little overly priced for me. Hope this helps!
    Great review. I would encourage you to continue to review as you develop your palate -- I'll read em if no one else does. Always interested in botl opinions.

Problem is, now I have to buy one because curiosity is a beotch and you made it sound pretty delicious.
    youngryan216:
    Great review. I would encourage you to continue to review as you develop your palate -- I'll read em if no one else does. Always interested in botl opinions.

Problem is, now I have to buy one because curiosity is a beotch and you made it sound pretty delicious.
    Thank you, Ryan. I appreciate the kind words. I only hope that my review is helpful! Obviously to each their own!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds great but $17 a stick? No way. I won't be buying or trying one of these anytime soon.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, being from Michigan, I feel some obligation to support New Holland and Asylum in their joint endeavor. So I imagine if I come across some at a B&M and I plan on staying for a cigar, I will light one up. I appreciate someone doing something a little different. Easier to justify this purchase over another $10 random Nicaraguan puro with a pretty band.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Yes they will be going for $17 a stick.
    Jesus... Are they made by Gurkha?!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    youngryan216:

Thank you, Ryan. I appreciate the kind words. I only hope that my review is helpful! Obviously to each their own!
    +1 thanks for the write up, D Fresh.
    this is what i really wanted to know about, $$, and you told me all i needed to know: "but it's just a little overly priced for me."
    sounds like a good smoke but $17/stick is too steep for me.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    During the summer after a party, Tom was discussing this cigar. While he didnt figure it would appeal to all, it was an experiment he couldn't refuse. He was really pleased how they were turning out though. A lot of great stories from mr. Lazuka for sure. Great guy!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    They are discounted a lot recently by various retailers. Anybody know for sure why?  
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CCOM Just sent an email a few weeks ago for these well under 200 a box I thought. i could be mistaken it was the new Tim guy who sent it.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price too high. Demand too low. Real estate on shelves is valuable. Move what doesn't sell because priced too high. And stock what does sell so they can keep selling cigars and making money.

I do like these cigars. I went through a carton in 2 months. Those who talk to me on vherf know I'm like charlie and I smoke a bunch of cigars daily. I like them for the price I paid. I couldn't pay over 11 for them a piece. Too many other folks, bands, blends, cigar makers, have better offerings. I won my carton for 148 and I was mad I won but I smoked every later one of them sumbitches 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I usually let my shipped cigars acclimate first but, I smoked one ROTT last night (They were delivered Monday.)  and I wasn't that crazy about it. Until I paired it! LOL It's a good looking medium brown oily wrapper. Seems well built. Rolled firmly but with a good draw. I smoked about an inch before I opened one of the 12 ounce bottles of the Dragon's Milk stout. I swear, I think that beer would make any cigar taste better.

It did.

I smoked about two thirds of the churchill but when the beer was gone I tossed what was left. I need to wait and see what changes may come about after they rest. But, IMHO the beer improves the cigar. Maybe they had a bad trip with the USPS. 

And, something else, The aroma is pleasant coming from my cooler but, being that there were some elements of the profile that didn't please me (so far) I'm wondering if I should separate them. Maybe they are considered infused and maybe they aren't.  Anyone got any experience with storing these particular  cigars?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I'd say if there is any doubt, separate them. 

I let everything rest a month now that I have a nice inventory built up, but I am more concerned about summer heat wrecking havoc with flavors than our current cooler weather. They'll only get better, though.

I'll take one off your hands if you decide you would like to trade one in the future.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell I thought these things were new. I never heard of them till recently. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Hell I thought these things were new. I never heard of them till recently. 
    Don't feel bad, I have no idea what Dragon's Milk is.
    I'm assuming it is a bourbon?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cigar, aged in a barrel, used to make beer, that used to hold bourbon....

anyone else thinking of the hole in the bottom of the sea?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...