Home Cigar 101
Options

Starting a Cigar shop.

2»

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    To be honest, if you do not love cigars, do not open a shop. I would assume if you did, you might know the answer to these questions. You would go through a tobacco distributor for those things. The best cigar shops are those that embrace, know, and love the culture. The rest, are not places I ever spend money at, and end up carrying hookahs, glass pipes, and vape to support their inability to sell cigars and compete with the internet.
    don't forget ninja stars and samurai swords
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    To be honest, if you do not love cigars, do not open a shop. I would assume if you did, you might know the answer to these questions. You would go through a tobacco distributor for those things. The best cigar shops are those that embrace, know, and love the culture. The rest, are not places I ever spend money at, and end up carrying hookahs, glass pipes, and vape to support their inability to sell cigars and compete with the internet.
    don't forget ninja stars and samurai swords
    hahaha the one place I go has the swords! But my best answer to the question would be take a part time job at a b&m and get to know all the reps...
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    the four "P"'s of Marketing: Place= where are you thinking of having it at? how many are in the area is there a demand for it? Price = cost of living in desired location, how much would you have to mark up to make it self reliable Product= duh cigars Hello Promotion = marketing your store this only help manage the risk of having your own business risk is never removed only managed. Cigar lounges= are ok depending of the four "p''s head shop without lounge = attracts more customers but is that your thing you want to be known with? Tabbacoo shop= means cigarettes too and another items
  • Options
    Retircs1:
    the four "P"'s of Marketing: Place= where are you thinking of having it at? how many are in the area is there a demand for it? Price = cost of living in desired location, how much would you have to mark up to make it self reliable Product= duh cigars Hello Promotion = marketing your store this only help manage the risk of having your own business risk is never removed only managed. Cigar lounges= are ok depending of the four "p''s head shop without lounge = attracts more customers but is that your thing you want to be known with? Tabbacoo shop= means cigarettes too and another items
    P.S also after reading the thread I would say "Maximum Customer Service". Your response to those on here that was a little condescending to you with name calling says you should maybe think of opening Toy's R US if you can't take guys with forward ball busting comments. We smoke Cigars , and kick A$$ or have kicked A$$ we love hard, live long, and not politically correct. So if you easily get Offend or a Ultra Sensitive or can't take a joke open something else like a doll shop.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Sorry for the smart ass reply on my part. You really didn't seem that serious. When we see something that looks like BS we pounce on it and it's not our best moments to be sure. We are actually kind and generous on this site. Stick around and take part. You'll see. The best advice I would give you is to make friends with actual cigar shop owners/managers. Take them out to dinner and pick their brain. Also study business practices in general. www.sba.gov and go to your local SBA. They may have mentoring/counseling. As I recall they are an association of retired businessmen. Good luck.
    No Bob you don't need to say sorry for *** your comments were just fine
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Cigar Shops are really hard to start because there is so much to know about the business...it's not just about how much love we might have for the product it's just that there is so much anti smoking going on these days and that limits the way one tries to keep the business going. Inventory is another issue...being new to the business means you have to pay the going prices just to get a contract with a Vendor so unless you have really deep pockets opening a Cigar Place is going to take a ton of money...if you have it then I wish you success and if you don't....then be careful and don't mortgage your house or anything else to get it up and going. Research this type of business and you'll find it's not one of the more lucrative ones around and it's all about where you put it...pricing...and getting great contracts from Cigar Manufacturers.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Man, I'm gonna respond here even though it looks like you don't really care much. The truth is, if you're here asking these questions, then you're years away from being ready to open a cigar shop. It's not a matter of us being elitist, but the fact is that without relationships in the industry you will have a hard time negotiating distribution contracts. Without product knowledge you will not be respected by your client base, and by an attitude that responds to negative input with negative response you exhibit poor professionalism that will plummet your company. All of this also fails to take into account that a cigar shop requires immense start-up investment that could potentially take several years to recoup.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Man, I'm gonna respond here even though it looks like you don't really care much. The truth is, if you're here asking these questions, then you're years away from being ready to open a cigar shop. It's not a matter of us being elitist, but the fact is that without relationships in the industry you will have a hard time negotiating distribution contracts. Without product knowledge you will not be respected by your client base, and by an attitude that responds to negative input with negative response you exhibit poor professionalism that will plummet your company. All of this also fails to take into account that a cigar shop requires immense start-up investment that could potentially take several years to recoup.
    Yup.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Tmp866:
    I plan on Opening my own cigar shop what should I do. How should I start? Where do I get cigars to sell in my store and accessories? What else do I need to know?
    These guys make it seem so hard.........
    It's not.........
    Just buy cheap cigars from the interwebs, and resell them on craigslist!
    I net about $5,000/week this way.
    I have no rent, no suppliers, no utility bills. no walk-in humdors to worry about, no license issues, no cranky old farts wanting to smoke stinky cigars in my shop...............it's wonderful!
    And the best part?

I can teach you how to do it too!!

My "Online Cigar Sales" e-Learning kit (1 DVD, 1,000 fake Padron Labels, extensive customer list, and more) is available for a mere $2,499.00............you'll probably get that back in your first two weeks of business!
    PM me for more info. I accept PayPal and Cashier's checks

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Tmp866:
    I plan on Opening my own cigar shop what should I do. How should I start? Where do I get cigars to sell in my store and accessories? What else do I need to know?
    It's not.........
    I have no rent, no suppliers, no utility bills. no walk-in humdors to worry about, no license issues, no cranky old farts wanting to smoke stinky cigars in my shop...............it's wonderful!
    And the best part?

My "Online Cigar Sales" e-Learning kit (1 DVD, 1,000 fake Padron Labels, extensive customer list, and more) is available for a mere $2,499.00............you'll probably get that back in your first two weeks of business!

God of Troll badge earned.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Tmp866:
    Why do you all act like your ten years old trying to tell off your parents with smart remarks. Like it makes you all over lord of the internet?
    It's not about being dicks or blog snobs. You can learn more knowledge from $20.00 in overdue book fines from a library studying business, economics (macro and micro) and finance than any blog will teach Work at a cigar shop for 6 months learn the ropes, read books then revisit the topic.
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    Tmp866:
    It's not.........
    And the best part?

" Get that contraband stogie out of my face before I stick it so far up your A$$, you'll have to set your nose on fire to smoke it". image
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Cigary:
    Cigar Shops are really hard to start because there is so much to know about the business...it's not just about how much love we might have for the product it's just that there is so much anti smoking going on these days and that limits the way one tries to keep the business going. Inventory is another issue...being new to the business means you have to pay the going prices just to get a contract with a Vendor so unless you have really deep pockets opening a Cigar Place is going to take a ton of money...if you have it then I wish you success and if you don't....then be careful and don't mortgage your house or anything else to get it up and going. Research this type of business and you'll find it's not one of the more lucrative ones around and it's all about where you put it...pricing...and getting great contracts from Cigar Manufacturers.
    Solid advice. Your post made me think on the matter, and I realized that wanting to do it does not translate to being able to do it. Rare it must be to find an owner with the business sense and industry knowledge who genuinely loves cigars...would have my business!
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Hays:
    Cigary:
    Solid advice. Your post made me think on the matter, and I realized that wanting to do it does not translate to being able to do it. Rare it must be to find an owner with the business sense and industry knowledge who genuinely loves cigars...would have my business!
    My .02 on the matter. Its really not about how much you love cigars, it's more about how much you love customer service and providing that service.
    A very succesfull B&M that has one of the best inventories around is owned and run by a guy who doesn't smoke cigars. His wife and staff of 1 do not smoke cigars either. Yet his business is very profitable and he has a great customer base. How can this be? He is smart, he knows his merchandise and he knows what his customers likes and dislikes are. Hes made good business relationships with reps and has been able to move stock. Basically he does his homework. Any business major can run any business successfully if he has the right merchandise, clientel and business model.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Rain:
    Hays:
    Cigary:
    My .02 on the matter. Its really not about how much you love cigars, it's more about how much you love customer service and providing that service.
    A very succesfull B&M that has one of the best inventories around is owned and run by a guy who doesn't smoke cigars. His wife and staff of 1 do not smoke cigars either. Yet his business is very profitable and he has a great customer base. How can this be? He is smart, he knows his merchandise and he knows what his customers likes and dislikes are. Hes made good business relationships with reps and has been able to move stock. Basically he does his homework. Any business major can run any business successfully if he has the right merchandise, clientel and business model.
    All this rings true. I would really enjoy (maybe plenty of us would,) having a cigar shop or cigar bar of my own because I love cigars. But, if everything else about the business suffered because I was focused on loving cigars and was unprepared for the nuts and bolts aspects of the business, what good would it do me? It would be a nightmare. But one of these days,............look out. Will you guys come visit me at my strip club/ cigar bar /hot tub testing facility?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    The Kid:
    Rain:
    Hays:
    Cigary:
    All this rings true. I would really enjoy (maybe plenty of us would,) having a cigar shop or cigar bar of my own because I love cigars. But, if everything else about the business suffered because I was focused on loving cigars and was unprepared for the nuts and bolts aspects of the business, what good would it do me? It would be a nightmare. But one of these days,............look out. Will you guys come visit me at my strip club/ cigar bar /hot tub testing facility?
    ahhh YEA!!!!!! Need GOOD Chef Bob? I'm there have JD do up the menu and I will cook it
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    The Kid:
    Rain:
    Hays:
    Cigary:
    ahhh YEA!!!!!! Need GOOD Chef Bob? I'm there have JD do up the menu and I will cook it
    All depends on how good the strippers look, Who else is in the hot tub and what they wearing.. I am pretty picky..lol